Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon Confirms that the FSD sneak peak is for car with HW3 only

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Still doesn’t mean it’s fake. Also doesn’t mean they only did it for the video. You’re inferring a LOT off very little info on a random website that requested some information that isn’t posted publicly, it has to be requested from that agency for the full report

In 2017 the information WAS posted publicly on the state webpage. Anyone could pull up the data (I did). There is no conspiracy there. It was much discussed here. Here is a non-random website reporting on it: The Numbers Don't Lie: Self-Driving Cars Are Getting Good, Fast The state has decided to archive the data for whatever reason, but the article numbers matched the state data. Note that Tesla did zero self driving testing in CA in 2018 too. From the Wired article: “The little testing Tesla reported (just 550 miles) was part of its preparation to launch a revamped Autopilot system. “

So. Tesla did 550 miles of self driving on CA roads in 2016, and zero on CA roads for the next two years. We know the miles in the videos are part of the 550 because of the state reporting requirements. I guess you could assume that Tesla did a very tiny amount of road testing in 2016 for some other purpose than the video and then stopped testing on CA roads entirely for the next two years. I don’t believe that was the case, especially now that we know how far Tesla still had to go in 2016.

Last edited:
S/X customers paid the most and are generally more capable of buying another Tesla. Seems like good business strategy to give them priority. Their cars are also more likely to be in a Tesla service center, due to age, and it’s easier to upgrade cars that are already in the service center.

Alternatively don’t piss off the bazillions MORE Model 3 owners because we outnumber S and X owners considerably. You can argue it either way.

In any case there’s no rush to install HW3 quite yet because there’s nothing to show for it, except...you know... cones.

Now, the cones are cool (my wife yells CONES! when she seems them on the screen, much to my amusement every time), but hardly worth clamoring about at this point.

Sometimes some gifts are available only to some people. In this instance, it appears that Tesla is able to offer an experience to some owners and not tomothwr owners because of technology differences.

It seems the choice was whether to offer it to some people or to no one. Tesla choose to make it available to some.

I have FSD (June 2019 delivery). I haven’t bothered to check whether I have HW2 or HW3. I don’t know whether Canadian Tesla owners with HW3 will get this experience. So I don’t know whether I will get this experience. But I don’t understand begrudging those American Tesla owners who will get the experience.

I never consider something that I pay for to be a gift.

I paid for FSD. I full out paid for it.

If Tesla says that it just can't crank out enough HW3 units fast enough....then ok.

I should have stayed in the bed on March 31st 2016 - instead of standing in line in the rain at 2AM

Elon tweeted: We would get some things for being an early reservationist.

1. Signature picture - didn't get that
2. Diecast model - didn't get that
3. Become a part of the Early Access Program - Now defunct and not active.
3. Screwed for purchasing FSD with HW2 <--- Well at least I finally got something.

Early Tesla Model 3 reservation holders will have 'something special' to make their car stand out - Electrek <----LOL indeed HW2 is standing out

Last edited:

Tesla gave out diecast models to a ton of cars AFAIK. I even got one and I was not a super early reservation holder.

Smart Summon went through EA. The upcoming "FSD sneak preview" will go to EA. So EA is clearly not defunct and is still active.

• Informative
Reactions: pilotSteve
My guess is that Elon will announce a HW3 upgrade timeline when this release comes out next week. Seems logical to blast through chip installs in Jan/Feb once the service centers are through the end of year rush. Just don’t know what rate they can do them at. While Elon can be tone deaf, I think he’ll recognize there’s gotta be some plan out there once FSD purchasers are missing out on something.

My guess is that Elon will announce a HW3 upgrade timeline when this release comes out next week. Seems logical to blast through chip installs in Jan/Feb once the service centers are through the end of year rush. Just don’t know what rate they can do them at. While Elon can be tone deaf, I think he’ll recognize there’s gotta be some plan out there once FSD purchasers are missing out on something.

This is exactly what I was thinking he'd do. Really excited to see what comes out next week.

I’m in a lot later in this game and things have progressed well (in my mind) since I got my car in mid-2019. So I have a very different experience when it comes to FSD promises and expectations.

That said, if what you say is true - it’s hard to argue too much. That said, delays are inevitable, though, and you will get FSD.
I think it's just that early adopters who in theory helped fund this technology are actually the ones that will be getting it the latest which seems odd. Back in 2016 it required you to already have EAP ($5k option) in order to add it for $3k (or up to $10k if added later). So really after waiting almost 4 years with very little to show, they are now being told to wait even longer or if they REALLY want something that was promised in video presentations...to buy yet another new Tesla.

Tesla’s self-driving car hardware will run you $8,000

In my opinion, they should simply continue to test it in-house until it's really road-ready so as to not create another fiasco like which happened with all of the online Summon crashes. Putting it in the hands of everyday users, some of who will probably jump in the back seat and take naps "for Youtube clicks" is just asking for it IMHO.

I should have stayed in the bed on March 31st 2016 - instead of standing in line in the rain at 2AM

Elon tweeted: We would get some things for being an early reservationist.

Weird... I got the picture and the model car...and I didn't even stand in line (I did order online the moment reservations opened though).

Someone should tell Elon- since he told us the FSD thing is going out to these people you keep insisting don't exist shortly.

I think it's just that early adopters who in theory helped fund this technology are actually the ones that will be getting it the latest which seems odd.

And also an assumption lacking evidence. Their not "first" but there's no indication they'll be last. And not being first makes sense.

Right now they appear to be rolling it out to S/X 2.5 owners, probably because it's the easiest upgrade- so they get to see how it goes, see if there's any issues, and see if they can improve anything before doing a massive rollout to more complex installs.

Back in 2016 it required you to already have EAP ($5k option) in order to add it for $3k (or up to $10k if added later). So really after waiting almost 4 years

3 years and 2 months at this point FWIW- FSD didn't exist until October 2016.

I'd be VERY VERY surprised if we got to 4 years without at least a huge % of the HW2.x fleet already upgraded, if not all of it.

Plus of course this is only the 3k part- the 5k EAP certainly has gotten them something the last 3.2 years... many of them things new buyers have to spend $7000 to get in fact...(autopark, summon, NoA, auto lane changes, etc)

I never consider something that I pay for to be a gift.

I’m with you on that. It sometimes cracks me up, but more commonly irritates me when I see retailers advertise that customers “receive a free gift with any purchase over $X”. If it weren’t free, it wouldn’t be a gift!

I don’t consider the preview that some owners will experience to be what I paid for. I paid for FSD. I expect to get FSD when it is available.

I paid for FSD. I full out paid for it.

I’m assuming that the rules changed at some point and that some owners’ sales agreement state that they will have full functionality FSD by a certain date.

My sales agreement didn’t say that it. It had a bunch of wording that essentially said that I’ll get it when it is both technologically available and approved by regulators. Those conditions haven’t been met yet.

Sure, Elon Musk or someone else might make promotional statements about when FSD will be running, when I will be able to make money from my TM3 robotaxi, etc. Promoters say lots of things that are not in sales contracts.

I have dealt with enough contracts to know to rely on the language in the contract, not on what someone pitches outside of the contract.

• Love
Reactions: Pkmmte