Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon: Driver visualizations will show traffic cones "soon"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

diplomat33

Average guy who loves autonomous vehicles
Aug 3, 2017
USA
upload_2019-10-14_16-25-9.png

Elon Musk on Twitter

Also worth noting: AP can already see traffic cones. This would only add it to the driver visualization.

Disclaimer: This is not an endorsement of Elon Musk. I am merely sharing information that I think Tesla owners might care about.

Last edited:
My theory is they will show weather conditions in the visualization at some point, maybe after DeepRain™ is released. Also it's literally in the job description: Rendering Engineer, Software Infotainment | Tesla

My second theory is the object data for the visualizations will eventually be streamed to the mobile app and rendered there as well. Just seems like the obvious thing to do.

Regarding weather features, I recently tweeted Elon for a weather overlay so you could see live radar, NWS warnings/watches, and have alerts if your current route goes into a watch/warning area. I could see weather integration going further too. How about using wind and temp data in the remaining range calc? Or, how something like heavy rain will affect time to destination? All kinds of useful stuff can be done with that kind of data available to the car.

Reactions: motocoder
I think these things would have more impact if Elon stopped doing the pre-announcements and these things just "showed up". Wow, always something new, never know what to expect! It's the difference between "Here, Honey, I got you roses" versus "I'm going to buy you roses soon," followed a month later with "These are those roses I promised."

Well he's gotten a bit better, he didn't go and totally spoil the new easter egg.

Can anyone here estimate how much CPU/GPU is left for Tesla to continue to improve visualization ?

The visualization seems dead simple to me, any objects around the car are low-poly models with no texturing and a simplistic shader model. There's probably a huge amount of headroom on the MCU2 cars, the kart racing game is way more intensive than this.

For older S/X though, the frame rate seems much lower in the instrument cluster, and those cars may struggle. I wonder if they will diverge at a certain point, and keep a low-fi version for older cars.

Reactions: EVNow
For older S/X though, the frame rate seems much lower in the instrument cluster, and those cars may struggle. I wonder if they will diverge at a certain point, and keep a low-fi version for older cars.

Don't forget though the S/X have two separate CPUs for those tasks.

Yesterday in my MCU 1 X I had the map display at the top of the screen, web browser open (slow but works), whilst in traffic with speed and AP display on the instrument panel.

The draw resolution on the instrument panel is also much lower resolution so doesn't need much processing power.

Apparently the cones are showing up in the new build: Kelvin Yang on Twitter

What I really hope the "3D reality" visualization gets soon is pavement markings (i.e. parking stalls), that would be super useful. Right now the camera orbits into an overhead perspective during parking, and sometimes you get a jittery lane boundary approximation, but it's pretty useless.