Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon: "Feature complete for full self driving this year"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Most people don't expect cars to driver over them though.

As someone who silently judges people on their lack of parking lot lane respect I would say lots of drivers run over lines. If they didn't I wouldn't be so judgmental. :p

In the case of Enhanced summons I think we all know why it's going to run over lines. It is because it has no down facing cameras, and hence no ability to see the lines at the start. It certainly can follow the lines once the forward cameras pick up the lines.

It's not going to be particularly good at seeing lines or curbs during the start of a summons. It's also probably why the enhanced summons is one way only, and not "hey car, its time to go park yourself".

As someone who silently judges people on their lack of parking lot lane respect I would say lots of drivers run over lines. If they didn't I wouldn't be so judgmental. :p

In the case of Enhanced summons I think we all know why it's going to run over lines. It is because it has no down facing cameras, and hence no ability to see the lines at the start. It certainly can follow the lines once the forward cameras pick up the lines.

It's not going to be particularly good at seeing lines or curbs during the start of a summons. It's also probably why the enhanced summons is one way only, and not "hey car, its time to go park yourself".

Well, it does park itself, while you are still in the car. I think we can all see that advanced summon + driver instantiated auto park = go park your self.

And, for my clarity, by driving over lines, that is referring to the beginning when it looks like it pulls through the parking spot? I would have expected it to start out doing the opposite of how it was parked, is there a longer version of the video available?

(I do that when I initally park because forward out is easier/ safer than reverse out with a pickup... (esp without backup camera) )

@mongo Self-park is based on ultrasonics and neighbouring cars though still, right?

Good question. It would explain why, when you park far away from anyone else, someone parks next to you anyway... oh wait, it's a non-Tesla that parks next to you ;) (so I've heard).

So GPY (based on current features) would only work in non full / non empty lots (although it then might circle till you come out, lost puppy mode). Seems like using the lane recognition could be integrated. Though, depending on the other parking jobs, ultra Sonics would be primary. Vision would also be needed to avoid reserved spots..

Definately needs curb detect (other than bumper/ air dam).

:)

Tesla’s self-park definitely has been ultrasonics fare at least until recently...

Oh right, I agree with that 100%. And it should remain the primary sensor when there are other obstacles present.
Edge case once vision is integrated: everyone is parked offset from the lines, does it also, or does it reject the spot? What about parallel parking? Center in spot, or center between cars?

• Helpful
Reactions: electronblue
So GPY (based on current features) would only work in non full / non empty lots (although it then might circle till you come out, lost puppy mode). Seems like using the lane recognition could be integrated.

"Lost puppy mode" would be an L4/L5 unsupervised feature. They will not get there with the current sensor suite -- this thing will always require supervision, especially in parking lots due to the large blind spots near the vehicle and the unreliability/imprecision of ultrasonics.

It will also never get much faster than is shown in these videos, because as a supervised system it needs to give you time to react. It will therefore never be more than a gimmick, unless you have an uncommon use case like you are in a wheel chair and you are willing to wait. But then, it's going to be hard to see and supervise the car from the vantage point offered by a wheel chair...

• Helpful
Reactions: electronblue
ub0pQyS.png

h3U7o5D.png

Earl of Frunkpuppy on Twitter

giphy.gif