Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon: "Feature complete for full self driving this year"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For Apple to get anywhere close to FSD they'd have to promise a Quantum Computer.

I can't think of the last time any established company made such a massive promise that is FSD.

Yup, this is it. Elon was so clueless and arrogant that he didn't wasn't able to see that this wasn't just a stretch goal that they'd fall a little short of. This wasn't just in a different ballpark. FSD is a different sport entirely. It is so fantastically more complicated than drawing bounding boxes around cars.

But he says it with such confidence, and he's been so successful in other endeavors, that an even more ignorant consumer population just gobbles it up -- and to be clear I am not blaming the ignorant consumer here, I am blaming the con artist that's taking advantage of them. It's not your job as a consumer to understand the science and engineering behind the product you're buying.

However, Tesla did give a timeline and did deliver on EAP.

What? Please don't rewrite facts here. They have still not delivered on the original EAP promises. We need On-Ramp to Off-Ramp without driver intervention and Advanced Summon, at a minimum. NOA still doesn't handle on-ramps, doesn't safely handle many interchanges and off-ramps (most of the ones I've tried in fact), and definitely requires driver intervention. Advanced Summon does not clearly exist in any form yet other than rumors.

Also, what timeline was given for EAP that was met?

• Helpful
Reactions: Superendo and mongo
The original Desing Studio text from late 2016 actually said EAP would come as a software update in December 2016. Not plural, a software update. There was no text or timeline saying it would come over time.

Of course we are yet to receive that software update. :)

Look I geit that @mongo apparently was not there at the time or was not paying attention but it was clear as day what Tesla said on their site and Design Studio at the time. EAP was supposed to come later that year, FSD we would see in action by late 2017 (the coast to coast) and we’d get Tesla Network details in 2017. Then Elon added to that by saying FSD differentiating features would come around April-July 2017. None of these have come yet either.

What? Please don't rewrite facts here. They have still not delivered on the original EAP promises. We need On-Ramp to Off-Ramp without driver intervention and Advanced Summon, at a minimum. NOA still doesn't handle on-ramps, doesn't safely handle many interchanges and off-ramps (most of the ones I've tried in fact), and definitely requires driver intervention. Advanced Summon does not clearly exist in any form yet other than rumors.

Also, what timeline was given for EAP that was met?
Gack, you're right. My bad on what features were called out for EAP. :oops:
The order page was non accurate.
(off to edit my post)

• Helpful
Reactions: rnortman
The original Desing Studio text from late 2016 actually said EAP would come as a software update in December 2016. Not plural, a software update. There was no text or timeline saying it would come over time.

Of course we are yet to receive that software update. :)

Look I geit that @mongo apparently was not there at the time or was not paying attention but it was clear as day what Tesla said on their site and Design Studio at the time. EAP was supposed to come later that year, FSD we would see in action by late 2017 (the coast to coast) and we’d get Tesla Network details in 2017. Then Elon added to that by saying FSD differentiating features would come around April-July 2017. None of these have come yet either.

Yeah, my bad, ESP should have been better that it currently is two years ago. Thanks for bearing with my unintentional blindness/ ignorance. (I must have stopped caring about options when I found out I don't really fit in an S)

Isn’t Alphabet (Google, DeepMind, Waymo) presumably better at deep RL than anyone else in the world? Including Mobileye?

Its true they have shown the most public progress for RL in general, but Mobileye has shown the most public progress of RL for self driving.

Do you think Mobileye’s putative head start is enough to overcome Alphabet’s advantage in deep RL? Or do you think Alphabet just has no advantage over Mobileye in deep RL?

I don't see things as advantage/disadvantage as you do but more as focus. Mobileye has an undeterred and unprecedented focus of using RL for self driving. However it is your view that anything that can be considered as an advantage be portrayed as "Insurmountable, Immense, Moat"

For example:
  1. You portrayed Tesla collecting raw video clip as being "immense lead in self driving" for Tesla
  2. On the other hand mobileye's EyeQ4 released in late 2017 at the same time AP2 development was struggling to match AP1 and Tesla only collected around 0.01%-0.1% of data.
  3. Not just that but i also tried to explain how collecting data was easy and how data collected in one city works in another city, for example your AP1 car doesn't stop recognizing cars when it goes from Cali to Detroit or to Europe.
  4. You also portrayed that Tesla had a "HD Map Moat".
  5. Yet mobileye is the first to have crowdsourced HD Map for autonomous vehicles in 2018.
  6. You also portrayed that Tesla "Leapfroged with Radar that was better than Lidar" based on a single Elon tweet.
  7. Yet tesla said they implemented Elon's tweet in 8.0/8.1 firmware and yet there have been dozens of accidents/deaths since then and the same incidents that Elon said would be prevented by using coarse radar which you portrayed as being better than Lidar and which gave Tesla an additional 1-2 years lead, happened again acouple weeks ago and is under NTSB and NHTSA investigation. Which will likely result in AP being on.
What do you think this will look like in practice? What will be the clear evidence that Mobileye has overtaken Waymo?
EDITED

Visibility into Mobileye's Taxi service in Israel and lack of release and expansion of an actual driver-less service by Waymo.

My question to you is, When will it be clear that this so-called billions of state-action piars is not being used/collected and that the advancement/acceleration that you expect from it will not happen/isn't happening? After the immediate release of HW3? 6 months after that? Remember before Elon extended his timeline to end of 2020, you provided a detailed explanation how Tesla could solve self driving by the end of 2019.

I said that to say that you believe that Tesla has "immense lead" and still do, even though all three of the tenants of your thesis has been dis-proven. You even changed your thesis on Mapping and raw data, but you never changed your date or the fact that Tesla has "immense lead". You still believe and promoted the 2019 date right until Elon delayed it again to the end of 2020.

12 months from now? The conclusion i come to is that you will forever see "Tesla" as having "immense lead" no matter what, right up to the very end and that nothing is stopping you from moving the goal post yet again in 2020 and coming up with another reason/thesis why Elon's new timeline of end of 2021 is absolutely correct.

Does Intel have nearly as much compute as Google?
That's like asking does Microsoft have nearly as much compute as Amazon.
They both have enough that its mean-less to ask that question.
9600 TPUs were used for AlphaStar's 600 agents for example, this is nothing for a big company. Intel has enough datacenters and plans and resources (money) to support mobileye. This is in-addition to all the custom hardware that mobileye already has. Have you forgotten they make the most efficient NN processor in the industry?

Including lidar? Isn’t any lidar you get that cheaply going to be low-range and low-resolution?
Nope, Innoviz One lidar will only cost around $500 when mass produced according to them and its automotive grade, high resolution and range. Its already available this year for development and they are tooling their factory getting ready for mass production.

Last edited:
Only Tesla puts up a product for sale, and accepts payment for it, before the product has been developed, and before it is clear even that the product being promised is possible, much less reliably predict when it will get done.

Well I have been in several Kickstarter adventures - but your point is spot on.

Yup, this is it. Elon was so clueless and arrogant that he didn't wasn't able to see that this wasn't just a stretch goal that they'd fall a little short of. This wasn't just in a different ballpark. FSD is a different sport entirely. It is so fantastically more complicated than drawing bounding boxes around cars.

This is also so true (to my layman's eyes) as even Elon's own advertisements of what FSD will do in the city (NOA Autopolit within a City), does not even scratch the biggest issues that Waymo is currently facing - Predictive analysis of people; Is this person who is walking toward a cross walk being inattentive and possibly will enter the cars path? How does the car weigh or handle a bicycle within its lane? Can it determine if the bike rider will want to make a left hand turn because there is a cross street approaching? Can it detect the slight body shifts, or head turn that would give a human driver pause before overtaking the individual, or are we still just using bounding boxs?
These are some hard tasks that is ahead for a FSD vehicle, and as the operators of these FDS cars, we have to even be more in tune with what the NOA system is doing.
I am all in for the ride that is why both my wife's and my M3's both have FSD, but we also have to know how NOA thinks so we know what to expect.

By the way, here's Elon Musk's quick bio:
Net Worth: $21.4 billion
Education:
Economics Degree from Queen's University
Studied Applied Physics and Material Science at the PhD level at the University of Pennsylvania (dropped out to become a billionaire).
Awards: Fellow of the Royal Society
Companies:
Founder, CEO and Lead Designer for SpaceX
Co-Founder, CEO and Product Architect for Tesla Inc.
Co-Founder and CEO of Neuralink
Founder of The Boring Company
Co-Founder and Co-Chairnan of OpenAI
Co-Founder of PayPal

That's quite the resume! He was also 21st on Forbes' List of Most Powerful People!

So yeah, I know it's fun to poke fun at Musk for his bad preidctions and you certainly have every right to disagree with him about FSD if you work in the self-driving field and you think your approach is better but the fact is that the guy is no slouch either. Anybody here start billion dollar companies that build electric cars, launch spacecrafts into space, or develop artificial intelligence? I think not.

He's not an engineer, either software or hardware point blank. Everything else is meanless

He's not an engineer, either software or hardware point blank. Everything else is meanless

No but as I pointed out, Musk is not the one responsible for Autopilot/FSD. So the fact that Musk is not an engineer is irrelevant. Karpathy is an artificial intelligence and machine learning expert and he's the real brains behind Autopilot/FSD. But Musk's accomplishments as a visionary entrepreneur should not be dismissed either.

Disagreeing to a joke ... o_O

strange.JPG

Its true they have shown the most public progress for RL in general, but Mobileye has shown the most public progress of RL for self driving.

Okay, this is a helpful clarification. I think this gets back to the recurring debate on this forum about demos — whether we should treat a demo as meaningful evidence of real technological progress, or whether we should doubt that a demo tells us anything meaningful about the commercial viability of the underlying technology.

That's like asking does Microsoft have nearly as much compute as Amazon.
They both have enough that its mean-less to ask that question.
9600 TPUs were used for AlphaStar's 600 agents for example, this is nothing for a big company.

That’s a fair point. While we don’t know how much computation will be required to train true self-driving agents, if we assume the required compute will be similar to AlphaStar or OpenAI Five, then even a well-funded startup like Zoox wouldn’t have a problem getting enough compute. A few million dollars a quarter for an AWS/Azure/Google Cloud bill is no big deal.

However it is your view that anything that can be considered as an advantage be portrayed as "Insurmountable, Immense, Moat"

Nope. I’ve been clear that I think some advantages are surmountable. You keep misrepresenting my views. I feel like you aren’t interested in understanding what my views really are.

Some of my views have changed over the last 2 years as I’ve learned new things — I think that’s good. I try not to be too personally invested in being right. I don’t think it matters ultimately. What matters is learning, error correction, and considering alternative ideas — all things that push us in the direction of truth.

If you’re invested in being right, that means you’re invested in whatever you happened to believe at some point in the past being true. So you will look for evidence to confirm that belief. That’s the cart leading the horse. If you’re not invested in being right, that means you are more open to evidence disconfirming that belief. That’s why I think it’s hazardous to get invested in being right. It’s antithetical to finding truth.

I could go more into detail about how and why my views have changed, but you’ve misunderstood both what my views used to be and what my views are now. I don’t see how it’s helpful to continue along that line of discussion if basic communication is failing.

based on a single Elon tweet.

This is something you can only say if you didn't read the article, or if you don't remember what it said at all. The article cites an in-depth conference call transcript, a Tesla blog post, and a paper on radar-based pedestrian detection from the journal Advances in Radio Science — not just “a single Elon tweet.”

I don’t think radar is nearly as important as I used to think it was, and today I wouldn’t say radar with fleeting learning is better than lidar without fleet learning — they are just two different sensor modalities with their own strengths and weaknesses. But it’s false and also insulting to say the thesis, even if it was wrong, was just based on a tweet. This is the kind of thing that erodes trust that what you say is true, and erodes civil discourse because it feels defamatory — something that is provably false, but would be bad if it were true.

Remember before Elon extended his timeline to end of 2020, you provided a detailed explanation how Tesla could solve self driving by the end of 2019.

I said that to say that you believe that Tesla has "immense lead" and still do, even though all three of the tenants of your thesis has been dis-proven. You even changed your thesis on Mapping and raw data, but you never changed your date or the fact that Tesla has "immense lead". You still believe and promoted the 2019 date right until Elon delayed it again to the end of 2020.

12 months from now? The conclusion i come to is that you will forever see "Tesla" as having "immense lead" no matter what, right up to the very end and that nothing is stopping you from moving the goal post yet again in 2020 and coming up with another reason/thesis why Elon's new timeline of end of 2021 is absolutely correct.

This is completely false and misleading. As I’ve explained to you before, I’ve never made any firm prediction on when self-driving would be solved. I didn’t say it would happen by the end of 2019. The point I’ve made is that sometimes AI progress is not gradual. Or more precisely: the obvious, direct, publicly visible part of progress on specific applications of AI is not gradual.

Some people look at progress on autonomous driving over the last 5-15 years and it feels gradual. In 2007, autonomous cars could pass a minimal urban driving challenge. In 2019, cars can do more complex urban driving with a high disengagement rate and a lot of problems. Waymo’s safety-critical disengagement rate is every 11,000 miles, but its total disengagement rate might be more than once every 100 miles based on rider anecdotes. Self-driving cars are much better than in 2007, but still janky and unreliable, so some people conclude it will be many years or even decades before self-driving is even close to being solved. They would scoff at Amnon’s 2021 target for being feature complete almost as much as Elon’s end of 2019 target. The difference between 1 year or 3 years is not the debate; it’s more like the difference between 1-3 years and 10-30 years.

My point about non-gradual AI progress is to challenge the idea that we are many years, if not decades, away from true self-driving. As an analogy, DeepMind and OpenAI have made non-gradual progress on games like Go, Dota, StarCraft, and Montezuma’s Revenge in a few of years of secretive development. With these games, we didn’t slowly inch toward a solution a little bit more every year, so that it was obvious far ahead of time when we were close and when it would be solved. The solutions came as a surprise to many people.

This argument applies equally to Mobileye launching a full self-driving product in 2021 or 2022 as to Tesla launching one in 2019 or 2020 — or in 2021 or 2022. It’s not a Tesla-specific argument at all, or a year-specific argument. It’s about whether self-driving can be solved within a handful of years, rather than in a decade or multiple decades. Whether it can be solved surprisingly fast, or it will be solved predictably slow.

I don’t feel any constructive discussion is possible if you can’t/won’t try to understand my views, and keep making strawman arguments.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
  • Informative
Reactions: Thp3 and Randy7fx
@strangecosmos Maybe this helps, but for some of us when we feel you are wrong, it does feel like you have picked your side and thesis and are running with it. I mean you do write about it on Seeking Alpha, so I hope you understand how it looks...

Maybe it is a genuine mistake sometimes and you are simply still learning things others know already, but I doubt there is any malice in how you are being interpreted. It just comes across that way and people respond accordingly.

If you just keep engaging the thoughts (instead of worrying about the process so much), people will understand eventually and this issue solves itself over time.

I think there has been genuine and well-meaning efforts to understand each other on this subforum lately. Let’s continue that.

Last edited:
Reactions: rnortman