Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is this the first time Elon's actually tweeted about the specific types of interventions he experiences? I know we have a flock of tweets with vague "great"s and "amazings"s but this seems like a measured assessment instead of an exaggeration.
BTW, does he actually drive engaging FSD and randomly to different places over several days to test FSD ? Doesn't he have a lot of companies to run and also security detail ... ?

Is this the first time Elon's actually tweeted about the specific types of interventions he experiences? I know we have a flock of tweets with vague "great"s and "amazings"s but this seems like a measured assessment instead of an exaggeration.
I think characterizing "I didn't have to stop the car from killing anyone" as "excellent" is a bit much. But it certainly explains why they're not working on things like speed management before entering bends in the road, knowing where speed bumps are, intelligent lane selection, etc.

I'm a fan of the goals, but the process seems to leave a bit to be desired. As ever, I'd really like to know more about what in the world they're doing over there because it doesn't seem to be the right thing based on what I can see as a customer.

But it certainly explains why they're not working on things like speed management before entering bends in the road,
FSD definitely responds to bends in the road ... before the bends come. Ofcourse needs improvement ... but definitely there is speed management now.

But I agree with the overall point ... they are focused first and foremost on safety and those get first priority, as they should. But they do work on others that are only somewhat indirectly related to safety - like so many changes to where the car should drive on unmarked roads for eg.

Someone needs to get Elon to come to NYC and drive one of his cars here on FSD and see how he feels about it 5 minutes later...
Strange. I feel that way driving myself in NYC in about 5 minutes. o_O

Visited once with a van full of kids to see the sites. Only had a 1/4tank of gas but figured I'd fill up along the way. In Manhattan. Not one of my more enlightened decisions. 🙏

• Funny
Reactions: APotatoGod
68341041.jpg

I mean, I had 2 ~40 minute long drives just today on both local roads and highways (including exits/interchanges and multiple roundabouts). My house in one city to a friends house in another. 0 interventions going. 1 intervention returning- and that was not a safety one, it was a "the map still thinks this is an intersection it's physically possible to turn left at, but the cameras see you can't, so it's sitting there paralyzed by confusion" one... the "solution" the map doesn't realize is needing to turn right then make a u-turn so I did that manually then resumed FSDb and it made the rest of the drive without issue.

When traffic is very light, and you're not driving in weird downtown type situations, the system can do that pretty regularly around here- especially if you're willing to be patient with dumb or slow (but not actively dangerous) things like taking too long at a stop sign (the light traffic tends to be a key factor there).

Now- add significant adversarial traffic, or put it in more complex situations (or just be unwilling to be patient while it does dumb things it then corrects for) and it's a different story- which is why we're still nowhere near robotaxi while ALSO having plenty of situations where you can get 0 intervention drives.

Wondering if I'll get a reply to this tweet? Kinda doubt it. But the technology has to get better or AT THE VERY LEAST, not do dangerous, unexpected things.
@elonmusk my '21 MSLR has performed 3 dangerous and illegal traffic violations in the past 3 days. How is this acceptable? When will FSD be safer? Yesterday rapidly swerved into oncoming traffic for no reason. Two days before tried to run a stop sign at 60mph-twice. Vids avail.

I mean, I had 2 ~40 minute long drives just today on both local roads and highways (including exits/interchanges and multiple roundabouts). My house in one city to a friends house in another. 0 interventions going. 1 intervention returning- and that was not a safety one, it was a "the map still thinks this is an intersection it's physically possible to turn left at, but the cameras see you can't, so it's sitting there paralyzed by confusion" one... the "solution" the map doesn't realize is needing to turn right then make a u-turn so I did that manually then resumed FSDb and it made the rest of the drive without issue.

When traffic is very light, and you're not driving in weird downtown type situations, the system can do that pretty regularly around here- especially if you're willing to be patient with dumb or slow (but not actively dangerous) things like taking too long at a stop sign (the light traffic tends to be a key factor there).

Now- add significant adversarial traffic, or put it in more complex situations (or just be unwilling to be patient while it does dumb things it then corrects for) and it's a different story- which is why we're still nowhere near robotaxi while ALSO having plenty of situations where you can get 0 intervention drives.
I agree with this assessment! However, I think that most robo-taxi riders will be somewhat indifferent to a somewhat slow and methodical ride as long as the car gets them to their destination safely and relatively smoothly. As an actual driver, though, the slowness can get pretty annoying, and most of my interventions are simply due to my lack of patience.

I honestly think that Tesla is on the path to having cars that can serve as Robo-Taxis within the next 5-10 years or so. On drives when I'm patient and have plenty of time to get to my destination, my Tesla does get to where I need to go with relatively few safety interventions. I just don't like the way it drives!

Reactions: JB47394
Two days before tried to run a stop sign at 60mph-twice.

I posted that this was constantly happening to me for a week. It was actually accelerating to a stop with no intention to stop and I had to disengage and brake hard. Manually went though the stop and reengaged and sure enough it tried the same thing at the next stop and the next one. These are all stops I drive daily and beta is more than familiar with. Eventually it just stopped doing it and I haven’t seen it again. But beta does plenty of other “silly” things lately.

Honestly with the recalls updates for yellows I swear beta is having a harder time with yellow and red lights.

I posted that this was constantly happening to me for a week. It was actually accelerating to a stop with no intention to stop and I had to disengage and brake hard. Manually went though the stop and reengaged and sure enough it tried the same thing at the next stop and the next one. These are all stops I drive daily and beta is more than familiar with. Eventually it just stopped doing it and I haven’t seen it again. But beta does plenty of other “silly” things lately.

Honestly with the recalls updates for yellows I swear beta is having a harder time with yellow and red lights.
How many posted 60 mph streets have stop lights?

Reactions: APotatoGod
How many posted 60 mph streets have stop lights?

It was doing it every day for about a week or so. Every stop on the same street which is 6 four way stops. Both day and night. Traffic or none. No change on the street for years. Maps are up to date. Prior versions that no issues with these stops. Eventually it went away and it due to a viable software update. Cameras were all clean and clean.

Reactions: DWtsn