Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A teaspoonful of info.

1683493932836.png

Last edited:
When traffic is very light, and you're not driving in weird downtown type situations, the system can do that pretty regularly around here- especially if you're willing to be patient with dumb or slow (but not actively dangerous) things like taking too long at a stop sign (the light traffic tends to be a key factor there).

That hasn't been my experience.
  • Maybe one in five turns is jerky to the point where I take control.
  • It suddenly changes lanes in the "don't change lanes" area by traffic lights.
  • It thinks light rail traffic lights are for cars.
  • It ignores traffic lights and stop signs randomly.
  • It weaves back and forth between garbage cans, aiming right for the next can before suddenly dodging back out at the last possible second, rather than staying to the left as it should.
  • It ignores speed bumps 80% of the time.
  • It willfully obeys truck speed limits on highways.
  • It goes over both edge lines on highways without a signal.
  • When it isn't doing stupid things, it is so skittish that I have to intervene with the accelerator constantly to avoid getting honked at.
But maybe my standards are too high.

You don’t believe what ? That he will like 11.4 or that he had zero disengagement drives ( which he posts videos of) ?
Both? 😁

Actually, I started watching one of those videos, and within the first fifteen seconds, I saw two mistakes that I would have disengaged for:
  • It got uncomfortably close to a car parked on the side of the road.
  • After passing that parked car, with another parked car maybe 30 feet ahead, it weaved over to the edge of the road and back out again unnecessarily (with zero cars coming towards it).
So I guess technically anybody can have zero disengagements if their standards for when to disengage are low enough. But ignoring behavior like that gives Tesla drivers a bad rep.

Actually, I started watching one of those videos, and within the first fifteen seconds, I saw two mistakes that I would have disengaged for:
  • It got uncomfortably close to a car parked on the side of the road.
  • After passing that parked car, with another parked car maybe 30 feet ahead, it weaved over to the edge of the road and back out again unnecessarily (with zero cars coming towards it).
So I guess technically anybody can have zero disengagements if their standards for when to disengage are low enough. But ignoring behavior like that gives Tesla drivers a bad rep.
I take that back. Watched it again. There was a car coming. The car just parked before it passed. But it started steering back out in front of the car, so still wrong. 🤦‍♂️

You guys are completely confused.

zero-disengagement <> perfect drive.

Heck, half the humans should be disengaged, the way they drive.
Given that the top causes of accidents are distracted driving, speeding and drunk driving, it's easy to see how FSDb, which does none of these, easily makes cars safer than the average motorist, despite it's many flaws. Since I've been testing FSDb, I've become very much aware of how poorly most people drive.

That hasn't been my experience.

[*]Maybe one in five turns is jerky to the point where I take control.

I don't keep stats on jerky turns... they do happen once in a while, but in light/no traffic situations I've never had a reason to take control back--- I do occasionally when it's being jerking say, making a left and there IS another car in the cross-traffic lane as I don't want to freak him out-- it's rare but non zero.

[*]It suddenly changes lanes in the "don't change lanes" area by traffic lights.

You mean like where the dotted lines go to solid single white? Here at least it's not illegal to change lanes across those.

[*]It thinks light rail traffic lights are for cars.

I did see it do this REALLY early in the beta-- then it'd occasionally "display" them as such but not react to em... haven't had it even do that in quite some time now though.... (disclaimer- this is regular train crossing lights-- we don't have light rail so could be different)

[*]It ignores traffic lights and stop signs randomly.

Never had it entirely ignore one-- I've had it stop too short of one (signs mainly not lights- then take forever to creep up enough). And once had it ignore one it wouldn't have seen until going around a sharp corner which was absolutely "wrong" but more an edge case.... ones straight ahead have been reliable for a long while for me.

[*]It weaves back and forth between garbage cans, aiming right for the next can before suddenly dodging back out at the last possible second, rather than staying to the left as it should.

I'm having trouble picturing this, are cans being left so far from curbs there's drivable space between them and the curb?

[*]It ignores speed bumps 80% of the time.

This has been VERY hit and miss across versions... for a while it recognized them very reliably-- it has NOT done so in recent versions though.

[*]It willfully obeys truck speed limits on highways.

This one is weird- I've never, in all the time I've had it, seen it recognize ANY non-standard speed limit sign....including ones that actually applied (school zone/time ones for example)

[*]It goes over both edge lines on highways without a signal.

Not even basic AP back in 2018 has ever done that for me.

[*]When it isn't doing stupid things, it is so skittish that I have to intervene with the accelerator constantly to avoid getting honked at.

That's the "in light or no traffic" thing I talk about.

Specifically at stop signs- if there's no traffic it's fine. If there is- esp. when it stops too short and has to slow creep before turning right or something- I have to step in if there's anybody behind me. Otherwise I just let it to its thing.

But maybe my standards are too high.

I mean- a few of the things you list I don't experience but I think they'd be a reasonable concern to anyone to whom they happened (ignoring red lights for example)... the single white might be too high a standard since as I said here anyway that's a legal move.

Reactions: Yelobird
Given the top causes of accidents are distracted driving, speeding and drunk driving, it's easy to see how FSDb, which does none of these, easily makes cars safer than the average motorist, despite it's many flaws
Think about the math here. An FSDb that makes absolutely none of these mistakes might well be FAR more dangerous than the average driver.

(Hypothetically, you might fix the 5% problem completely and make the 95% more than 20x worse. I would say that seems very conceivable with current performance - FSDb has definitely run (attempted to) red lights way more than 20x more often than I do, for example.)

Last edited:
It goes over both edge lines on highways without a signal.
Not even basic AP back in 2018 has ever done that for me.
There's a sweeping right corner a block from my house where on basic AP the car crosses the double yellow line every time. Sometimes only 6 inches, sometimes 3 feet. It's never not crossed there. It's a well painted line.

It's one of 2 tests I do with every release, just for fun. The other is a block earlier where it can't navigate a fork in the road. Unless there's a lead car, it weaves a bit, then hands off to me while heading straight at the big tree at the point of the fork, yelling to take over, and sounding the collision warning.

There's a sweeping right corner a block from my house where on basic AP the car crosses the double yellow line every time. Sometimes only 6 inches, sometimes 3 feet. It's never not crossed there. It's a well painted line.

It's one of 2 tests I do with every release, just for fun. The other is a block earlier where it can't navigate a fork in the road. Unless there's a lead car, it weaves a bit, then hands off to me while heading straight at the big tree at the point of the fork, yelling to take over, and sounding the collision warning.

Well, basic AP isn't intended to handle things like forks (esp on local roads), so that one doesn't surprise me.... the 3 feet over the lane line does though- have any video perchance?

FSD does this for me too around a certain tight, blind curve in my daily commute. It's MUCH better now than it used to be, but it still goes over the line a bit more often than not.

I'm curious how many people have "Disengagements" that result in a "strike" against you? Today my car, with my hands on the yoke, disengaged and gave me a warning that I now had a strike (one of five allowed) before my FSD would be removed. So, out of curiosity, how does Tesla mean to compensate me for my $10,000 if they end up taking away my FSD when this was never in my contract or Owners Manual when I purchased the car in 2021. This was something that has just started recently. So I agree that they have the right to "disable" FSD for the remainder of the drive, or whatever small "punishment" they want to incur upon me, but according to a lawyer friend of mine, if I paid for something and they "take it away" then they must apply "recompense" since I never contractually agreed to this. So again, I'm curious how many people are having their FSDb "taken away" and then not being compensated for their purchase?

Your friend that's a lawyer doesn't seem to understand what they are talking about.

1. FSD Beta wasn't paid for, there's no cost for it specifically and it's not for sale. It's an early access program to help develop the software. The strikes are for liability reasons to ensure people are paying attention. When you lose FSD Beta, you still have FSD...or what you paid for. Regardless of any qualms with that statement, it's the way Tesla has structured this.
2. It's only removed for 2 weeks. It used to be an extremely long time.
3. Don't get strikes...I'd say most testers have gone years without a single strike. Yes, there are some that have faulty cameras that have resulted in strikes, but most strikes are due to not following the proper protocol.
4. Strikes have been a part of Beta since the Safety Score testers were admitted in Oct of 2021.

In summary, you wouldn't get refunded anything for a 2 week suspension to a Beta program.