Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
TBH, I don't think Tesla would refund the full $10K for FSD purchasers, but could refund a prorata amount based on "promised" vs current functionality.
Ok, so if you bought FSD on top of EAP in 2018, when what was promised is L4, and what you have now is that it stops for stop lights....
I'd imagine most people will be happy to get back $4,990 of the $5,000 ;)

Oh Boy a public release FSD button in 4 weeks!!! Can somebody run that thru the Elon calculator to see how many earth weeks that is.
In 4+ weeks he will be giving us some lame excuse: Oh sorry, there are issues with the retrained network, it is going to take an architectural change, V11 is going to the bomb diggity, trust me you don't want V10.

Lets tease out all the weasel words in his tweet:
> We should be there with Beta 10,
Should - May or may not happen.

> will need another few weeks
Few weeks - is a hundred weeks few?

> guess is
Guess - No idea what I'm doing.

If this goes against all odds and is available in ~4 weeks, Elon will quickly rise to hero status again. :)

Last edited:
Ok, so if you bought FSD on top of EAP in 2018, when what was promised is L4, and what you have now is that it stops for stop lights....
I'd imagine most people will be happy to get back $4,990 of the $5,000 ;)
Wasn’t FSD 3K back then? March 2019 was when the pricing flipped (until they made AP standard in April/May) right? That was when they moved most of the EAP features to under the FSD umbrella.

Reactions: S4WRXTTCS
Contracts of adhesion are not per se illegal. Ever buy cell phone service?
Contracts of adhesion are common and entirely legal. Discriminating against customers based on previous lawsuits is not and it's likely to be illegal.

But I'd agree that a general and significant price increase when major steps in functionality occur will be a sufficient deterrent. Do nothing and wait (with your $10K in the hands of Tesla), or get $10K now, with the risk of paying $20K for the same product that was purchased in the past for $10K and refunded.
Fair?
No, it's not. It's not an investment, it's a purchase (or a pre-purchase). You offer your product at a discount to the first customers to generate publicity and/or get funds to finalize the development.

Nobody stops Tesla from increasing the price in future, but positioning the FSD as something that will surely appreciate in price is just deceptive.

TBH, I don't think Tesla would refund the full $10K for FSD purchasers, but could refund a prorata amount based on "promised" vs current functionality. Or in the alternative, allow simply transfer the FSD license to any Tesla vehicle in the future.
Pro-rating is in general problematic. Because it's not quite clear what the value of green light chime is compared to the FSD. And since Tesla has a technical capability to disable the FSD "features", they can just do that and refund the whole purchase cost (+interest).

I'm still waiting for someone to successfully sue in Small Claims Court for "fraud." ;)
It won't be "fraud", because it's not a criminal case. It's merely a breach of contract.

It will be very interesting to see how the hardnosed naysayers respond to the actual release of FSD.
I see no naysayers... Only realists that this is not coming out in 4 weeks.

... And that city streets autosteer is not FSD, and that real FSD is years away and took a decade or more longer than Tesla told people despite taking money for it since 2016.

I'm still waiting for someone to successfully sue in Small Claims Court for "fraud." ;)
This is sort of tired. Fraud requires proof the defendant intentionally concealed or misrepresented facts the plaintiff relied on to their harm. In this case a plaintiff during discovery would need to subpoena Tesla to provide emails or any communications regarding how they portrayed FSD in all marketing and communications. The idea being that only then could you actually prove someone important said “dude, let’s put together a video of a self driving car and make them think we have it ready in the wings with only government regulators holding us back! We don’t. But we’ll crack it in a three months … six tops!” You *can* I suppose do that in small claims in some jurisdictions, but you’re next to the dude whose dry cleaner ruined his pants. Some don’t even allow for discovery at all. If it’s truly fraud then it’s somewhat sophisticated and not likely to be settled there.

Then again maybe it’s such a bald-faced lie that it’d succeed! Beer for everyone! And new pants for the dude whose got shrunk!

Contracts of adhesion are common and entirely legal. Discriminating against customers based on previous lawsuits is not and it's likely to be illegal.

No, it's not. It's not an investment, it's a purchase (or a pre-purchase). You offer your product at a discount to the first customers to generate publicity and/or get funds to finalize the development.

Nobody stops Tesla from increasing the price in future, but positioning the FSD as something that will surely appreciate in price is just deceptive.

Pro-rating is in general problematic. Because it's not quite clear what the value of green light chime is compared to the FSD. And since Tesla has a technical capability to disable the FSD "features", they can just do that and refund the whole purchase cost (+interest).

It won't be "fraud", because it's not a criminal case. It's merely a breach of contract.
Again, let's see someone make your case in Small Claims Court. Very minimal costs, no lawyers, and compliant with the mandatory arbitration you signed upon purchase of your vehicle.

I mean, these complaints have been proffered for months if not years. You would think someone would have won in SCC and be crowing about it.

Reactions: mark95476
This sounds eerily similar to “no point releasing V8.3 when V9 is around the corner
I wonder if the "much improved" but now cancelled 9.3 point release has some of the V10 single stack retrained neural network. But maybe it has known regressions that isn't worthwhile to release this week to early access?

Indeed the messaging seems similar to 8.3:

We could follow one of these cases. Supposedly Joel Young filed suit Wednesday August 18, 2021, maybe in New Mexico? I could not find it. If anyone finds a link to either legal case please post it.

When Joel Young paid $6,000 for FSD in 2019, he assumed he would receive a system that could drive anywhere on its own by year's end. Two years later, that remains beyond the system's abilities. Young, a lawyer, writer and car enthusiast living in Placitas, New Mexico, recently asked Tesla to refund his money, and it declined. On Wednesday, he sued the company, accusing it of fraud and breach of contract, among other complaints.

Young's suit is most likely the second from a customer aimed at the FSD add-on feature. Two brothers in Southern California have filed a suit that raises similar complaints.

A week from Friday and you'll know what v10 looks like. Of late they have been good about keeping to schedules. So, we can all joke around til Labor Day weekend and then some lucky folks are going to test it out and we'll see some videos. A few weeks later,or 6 weeks or 12 or 25 or 256 it will go out.

I'm guessing ~6 weeks til the Beta is available for download to all with FSD. Will be interesting.