Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon Help Me!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Had a powerwall and solar system install on October 17 2017. I have yet to have it activated.
What exactly is the problem? I have been getting conflicting information as to the cause, even an representative telling me that some solar systems take a year to get approval.
I do need a contact number of someone who can help me and not shift responsibility.

It has been over three months since my systems

andrew

It took around 3 months for my solar system in Northern CA to be activated. We were all at the mercy of the utility. Just had to sit and wait. I was totally frustrated, with a fully operational system in place, just sitting there waiting for some bureaucrat to check a box.

That may or may not be your situation - have you done an internet search to see average approval time for a system in your area?

• Informative
Reactions: EinSV
I did not do a search and I should have, as I would have waited for the process to be more mature in my area. I am frustrated that Tesla did not mention this delayed process. They did cash the check rapidly though....

I did not do a search and I should have, as I would have waited for the process to be more mature in my area. I am frustrated that Tesla did not mention this delayed process. They did cash the check rapidly though....
Yeah, my solar company (used a local provider) didn't mention the delay either. And I was frustrated over that - but in reality, they did the work and brought in the hardware, so I paid.

From what I can tell, things fluctuate as to how fast stuff gets approved. The utility could be short-handed temporarily or deliberately dragging heels as a protest towards homeowners putting in solar. I'd write the local newspaper and make a stink about how long they're taking. I'd also report them to the state board that oversees utilities. It's not Tesla, it's them. I'm sure Tesla would like to see your system turned on quickly, too. :)

• Informative
Reactions: ModelX
Someone at Tesla was telling me today there are some areas (I think Nevada was mentioned) where they can't get any Powerwalls approved by the utility, although you'd think that'd all be set in stone before they get installed.

They will get approved eventually.

Contact your state representative and the state utility commission. Solving this problem is their job.
just frustrating, especially since the Tesla sales representative never mentioned the possibility of a delay. It is also very difficult to navigate the layer of "help" at Tesla. No one seems to know the problem as to why it cannot be approved, but the check was readily cashed.
I would have not gotten the system, but waited.

Tesla can't do anything about your utility not giving approval. I ran into a similar situation. I had it installed in Sept but I didn't get approval until almost Dec. Main reason was that PG&E didn't know what to do with the powerwall. They thought I'd be dumping a ton of energy back to the grid because there is nothing physically stopping the powerwall from sending power back to the grid. So they were taking a worse case scenario of a full powerwall dumping 5kW and my solar dumping around 7kW of power and said I need a new transformer.

What I did is called PG&E's solar dept, who then gave me the number of the local project manager who was working on my area. I called them and had Tesla call/email them over and over and eventually they gave it. But it was not easy. I would call your utility until you get an answer, or just start using it and let them contact you. But you could have fees and such if you use it without getting PTO, so do so at your own risk.

I agree, it wasn't too obvious up front by Tesla that there could be problems like this.

just received a call from another layer of management. They have decided to have a conference call, with my utility, inorder to find out what they need to do to certify my system. It has taken almost three months just for Tesla to get to this level.
I asked to be included on the call and was denied.
As I understand the Powerall, it is isolated from the grid and is charged only by the solar array. Why it is any different than an backup auto switching propane generator.

Good thing I am not on a rocket to Mars and I hope I can drive my model 3 without any conference calls..

Elon help me!

As I understand the Powerall, it is isolated from the grid and is charged only by the solar array. Why it is any different than an backup auto switching propane generator.

Powerwall is connected to grid via 30A breaker in your panel and can backfeed utility along with the house loads. Same with solar. Tesla Gateway isolates PW and panel during an outage to allow backup power from PW.
A backup generator is never connected to grid. Its transfer switch only allows one source (grid or gen).

• Informative
Reactions: arcus
If the powerwall can back-feed to the utility, why can I not charge the powerall from the grid?
Good news! Tesla coming next week to run "tests" on my system in preparation for the Utility's inspection.
Why has this taken so long to implement reflects poorly on Tesla.
Not going on a rocket ride any time soon.

If the powerwall can back-feed to the utility, why can I not charge the powerall from the grid?
Good news! Tesla coming next week to run "tests" on my system in preparation for the Utility's inspection.
Why has this taken so long to implement reflects poorly on Tesla.
Not going on a rocket ride any time soon.

Possibly due to not having the utility inspection / Tesla tests done yet. Yay for progress! Might be due to utility timing, not Tesla's (see bonnie's post #2)

How does one lose the credit. My system was installed last year and I am claiming full credit. I do not see a provision for reducing it based upon grid charging.
Presumably, it would happen if you were audited and could not demonstrate that you charged your battery the minimum number of times required. I have not seen the code section but discussion here has led me to believe there is a sling scale reduction in the credit.

Approval seems to take a long time, a very long time, enough that it materially reduces the value of the system depending on details, but at least during SGIP incentive, that is mitigated. Soon, however, the utilities should either stop delaying or go out of business. We might have a transition period. Since they might not be considered "OK to fail", we might have to approach them differently than as considering them decent parties. If they are merely oppressors who are ruining the world, we must circumvent them.