Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon is still throwing out pedophile accusations. He has learned nothing.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah, Elon's interpretation of "suggested I engage in a sexual act with a mini-sub" doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me. Like you I see it as an ultimate dismissal, and that's how I interpreted it.

To me that's a twisted interpretation designed to make Elon look more like a victim.

Plus Elon knew Unsworth was British, and if Top Gear is any indication they have creative ways to insult everyone.

I can't wrap my head around Elon's reaction because Elon had written proof that he was ASKED to be involved. He didn't just force himself into the situation which was Unsworth's main beef with Elon.

NO the main beef was the self promotion..he had to name drop SpaceX instead of just help

Musk presented a letter from the Thai government confirming that he was not requested to leave the site (the Thai government managed the site).

An attempt to publicly damage someone's reputation is an attempt to publicly damage someone's reputation

... which was by definition not libel because it was a private email, with a specific request that it be off the record. Libel requires a statement be publicly published.

And FYI, good luck proving libel on any of Musk's weren't qualified privilege - one category of which is "statements made in self-defense or to warn others about a harm or danger". To overcome a qualified privilege, the person suing for defamation "must prove that the person who made the defamatory statement acted intentionally, recklessly, or with malice, hatred, spite, ill will or resentment". In short, they need to prove that Musk didn't actually believe that Unsworth was a pedophile and a danger to others. Despite the fact that he's been trying - in private letters - to get journalists to investigate him for it.

-----------------------------------------

All of this may be correct.

But, I fear that too many people are focusing on the legal minutiae. Or, their interpretation of it. In today's world, this is a massive error.

Although lots of people have always been uninterested in facts, social media now allows such people to amplify and rapidly spread their opinions. A mob pandemic, if you like.

The reality is that, regardless of whether Elon Musk has evidence to prove his case (or otherwise), and he wins a legal battle, he will have already been judged in the court of social media.

As is happening already.

In other words, if the outcome of this results in EM being legally vindicated, then an awful lot of people will still have their prejudices confirmed, and more strongly perceive him to be a very rich and very privileged knob.

How does this advance his stated causes?

The facts, in other words, will not necessarily Trump the perception of the masses...

Last edited:
Reactions: ricebucket
Clearly Twitter isn’t a good outlet for Elon. Look at that TSLA stock tumble. Shareholders must be thrilled right now.

It's really sad when Elon's actions have backfired and given ammo to the short sellers. As the CEO of a public company, he really should have known better. So maybe the SEC is right that he shouldn't be CEO.

There really isn't any excuses for this. All he has to do is *not tweet.* They have a PR department I assume?

Wow, incredibly obdurate to continue "Operation Footbullet" to this extreme. Musk, apparently channelling Trump, wants to believe that Twitter is some kind of verbal free-fire zone without legal consequences. SEC did not think so, but even after taking a right spanking and handing them $40M for the pleasure, he still fails to grasp the wisdom of the old axiom "... at least stop digging!"

I suppose though it is also possible that Unsworth has [understandably] set his face against allowing the arrogant billionaire to buy his way out of this one, thus will not accept any out-of-court settlement and will insist on maximising Musk's embarrassment in the full glare of public scrutiny.

Either way, if it actually goes to trial I think Musk will make a terrible witness on the stand, and, again like Trump, would be very susceptible to falling into a "perjury trap" (i.e. largely cannot differentiate his own confabulations from objective fact), so this self-inflicted fiasco can always get much worse for him.

The chances of him succeeding in California seem slim indeed and in the parallel case in England are literally zero.

The only real debate left is to guess where the summit of damages will peak: I'm going to say north of $40M for both cases together and wish Mr Unsworth every happiness in spending his new-found fortune.

Reactions: DaveT
Wow, incredibly obdurate to continue "Operation Footbullet" to this extreme. Musk, apparently channelling Trump, wants to believe that Twitter is some kind of verbal free-fire zone without legal consequences. SEC did not think so, but even after taking a right spanking and handing them $40M for the pleasure, he still fails to grasp the wisdom of the old axiom "... at least stop digging!"

I suppose though it is also possible that Unsworth has [understandably] set his face against allowing the arrogant billionaire to buy his way out of this one, thus will not accept any out-of-court settlement and will insist on maximising Musk's embarrassment in the full glare of public scrutiny.

Either way, if it actually goes to trial I think Musk will make a terrible witness on the stand, and, again like Trump, would be very susceptible to falling into a "perjury trap" (i.e. largely cannot differentiate his own confabulations from objective fact), so this self-inflicted fiasco can always get much worse for him.

The chances of him succeeding in California seem slim indeed and in the parallel case in England are literally zero.

The only real debate left is to guess where the summit of damages will peak: I'm going to say north of $40M for both cases together and wish Mr Unsworth every happiness in spending his new-found fortune.
Wow $40 million in damages, good thing for Unsworth that Neverland ranch is for sale! That will cheer him up