Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon Musk Confirms Made-In-Texas Model Y Will Be 4680-Powered

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'll be interested to see if this does materialize but also how they will capitalize on the benefits of these cells, cheaper selling price (unlikely), higher margin (not initially), greater range (likely small incremental bump initially IMO), higher speed performance (possible, but less likely IMO).

• Disagree
Reactions: msee67 and Gadget63
My expectation for the MY would be increased buffer, maybe slightly increased range but not advertised just to get closer to EPA rating and less battery decline (they can support more recharge cycles with less loss). I wouldn't expect higher performance, but hey "Tesla doesn't make slow cars" so you never know.

My expectation for the MY would be increased buffer, maybe slightly increased range but not advertised just to get closer to EPA rating and less battery decline (they can support more recharge cycles with less loss). I wouldn't expect higher performance, but hey "Tesla doesn't make slow cars" so you never know.

I do agree, even though it will be hyped up tremendously, it is hard to see a huge range bump, given all that we know about these cells. Still, sentiment is a strong influence to resale value.

Extended range may be available with the 4680 cells, but most likely Tesla will lock the software so you can't get more than the advertised range on their website.

They may unlock some of it later as a 'feel good' upgrade to appease the masses.

Makes me want to delay my order especially if they offer the Performance or higher variant with the new 4680 cells. My current slated delivery date is 6/7-6/20. I wonder if they are expecting to start production this year or next.
hold on . . . people are willing to wait - based on Musk setting a date ?!?

1621390776491.png

;)