Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon Musk is 'full of crap'

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Eyes are nothing without the brain attached to it. It is impossible to replace a lost eye with an artificial one because eyes and the brain are connected in a way that is much more than data going from the eye to the brain. It's all about processing the data in a way that our brain does. So far that's just not matched by any other system. There are some system that can do one narrow single task, but nothing that comes close to what our eyes and brain do. So comparing 2 eyes to 8 cameras is meaningless.

Exactly. I've been driving safely since I got my license with literally two eyes. The car has 8 eyes in 360 seeing at the exact same time + radar + sensors. I'm more than confident what Tesla continues to promote on the website and in the design studio to be true when it comes to full-self driving.

What I'm more concerned about is the "Ethics" issue. The brain of the car. As humans we know "right" from "wrong" and can for the most part make the right ethical decision. That I think is the biggest challenge in all of this.

I'm not at all concerned about ethics. Just have the car do the simple, predictable thing (don't hit things; but if you must, stay in lane and slow down) and in the edge case of the edge case the humans will know what to do.

Your eyes can turn. Tesla's cameras can't. Big difference.
Tesla's cameras cover 360degrees at all times, so why would they need to turn? Having 360 degree coverage at all times is far superior to having a relatively narrow cone of focus that needs to rotate. The real question is how far off software and hardware power is from being able to process that information effectively and quickly.

Reactions: Bebop
Tesla's cameras cover 360degrees at all times, so why would they need to turn? Having 360 degree coverage at all times is far superior to having a relatively narrow cone of focus that needs to rotate. The real question is how far off software and hardware power is from being able to process that information effectively and quickly.

Because dirt or an unfortunately positioned object can block the fixed camera?

Haha sure. Although human eyes have inherent issues, but it's vastly superior to any camera in so many circumstances. I mean does your vision get all fuzzy at night, with snowy looking noise everywhere which is bad even in some pretty well lit locations (to a human eye)? Can you see a person pretty well on a bright day against a bright sky? Sure you can. Try take a photo of a person with even the best camera against a background of bright sky...

You betcha! I'm blind as a bat without my glasses. I wear glasses, so it's probably more of a hazard compared to someone with 20/20 vision. I do get glare issues though it's probably the lenses themselves which probably need an upgrade.

and It sounds like you are talking about an smartphone camera which this car isn't. If you are talking about a DSLR then you should not have any issues with night time or day time shooting if you know what you are doing.

We dont even have automatic wipers.. What are these cameras going to do when it rains or snows and it cant see? Pull over to the side of the road and wait for it to stop raining?

• Funny
Reactions: davidc18 and mmd
I'm not at all concerned about ethics. Just have the car do the simple, predictable thing (don't hit things; but if you must, stay in lane and slow down) and in the edge case of the edge case the humans will know what to do.

But doesn't FSD mean that there is no human for the edge case of the edge case? The car either has it or it doesn't. Having the car do the simple, predictable thing with a human to intervene sounds like AP1.

Do you actually know what 360 degrees means?? Have you ever seen what a Tesla has to do when it loses track of the dotted lane marker?

• Funny
Reactions: davidc18
... What I'm more concerned about is the "Ethics" issue. The brain of the car. As humans we know "right" from "wrong" and can for the most part make the right ethical decision. That I think is the biggest challenge in all of this.

In an emergency situation, with an accident imminent, nobody makes ethical decisions. They react instinctively, and much more slowly than a computer does. A human driver will perceive a threat and try to brake or swerve to avoid it, and likely will not even see a second threat, much less make an ethical decision about which is more crucial to avoid. And most drivers won't make what the rest of us would consider an "ethical" decision anyway. They'll try to save themselves, regardless of the consequences to others.

A computer, though it likely won't have "ethics" programmed into it, will react so much faster that many lives will be saved.

That said, I expect that FSD will be more difficult to achieve, and slower to come, than the more optimistic predictions. Elon is an optimist, and I expect FSD to take longer than he expects. And I doubt if the hardware in Teslas built in 2017 and 2018 will turn out to be adequate for FSD. Over the course of the next years we'll get better and more capable autopilot features until we reach a stage where 99% of driving can be done by the computer. And then the last 1% will take as long to achieve as the first 99%. In ten years, when the first FSD cars are built, the first-gen Model 3 will be long out of warranty and won't be getting FSD.

Elon is not "full of *sugar*." He's just what a friend of mine calls a chrono-optimist. He expects things to get done more quickly than reality and Murphy's Law will permit.

Your eyes can turn. Tesla's cameras can't. Big difference.

That's the difference between humans and computers: human eys need to turn because a human's attention span can only focus to a narrow part at a time. With cameras and computers, instead, you can handle a 360 view all the time:
gear-360_real360_reverse.jpg

With more than one camera you get stereo (or "surround") vision (better 3D/temporal analytics).

Reactions: mhan00
Think back to how long it took you to learn how to drive a car...getting a license was the affirmation. It takes a few hundred hours for the average person to really learn and be comfortable driving a car. It's not just about the distance to the next object or the speed it is going. Current, the human brain is the only processor capable of making safe decisions based on a myriad of external inputs, especially in heavy traffic or snowy conditions.

Distractions aside, the fact is, we are a very, very long way off of true autonomous driving, if one really wants to improve the safety of driving. There are just way too many external inputs for the technology today to handle better than the human brain. Don't get me wrong, it will come...but I suspect not for at least 20 years.