Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon Musk on Fox Business News 9/12/13

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Did anyone notice that the Supercharger did not seem to connect to the car when Elon plugged it in? He seemed to quickly unplug and put it back on the holder.

Lol, yes you are right. Elon clearly just glossed over it. In my experience, random failures like that are far more likely during an important demonstration. It's like a corollary to Murphy's Law.

Yeah I noticed that too. Perhaps it self locked while he was waiting to be interviewed.

The other thing is the map is super sparse in the middle of the US. Is he going to use public charge stations there or was the map they showed of his route conceptual.

Some choice bits:

"Our valuation right now is assuming a lot of good execution on our part in the future. We're going to do our best to work hard to make sure investors aren't disappointed. I think we've got some very exciting products coming out. I said in the past it's really crazy to short Tesla. Is is so crazy to short Tesla right now? It's not as crazy, but I think it's probably not a good idea... (asked about expectations for the year) We always aspire to exceed our targets... I'm cautiously optimistic we'll be able to do okay on that front."

Yeah I noticed that too. Perhaps it self locked while he was waiting to be interviewed.

The other thing is the map is super sparse in the middle of the US. Is he going to use public charge stations there or was the map they showed of his route conceptual.

He claimed only 9h of charging. Even with 120kW supercharger that is more or less impossible to do (given the taper).
Sadly there is a common tendency at Tesla to overhype things and to be overly aggressive. Whether it's the 5.4 rating in the safety test, the Supercharger Summer 2013 (and frankly, Fall 2013) rollout, the delivery dates outside of the US,... the list goes on.
This trip is just another piece of that mosaic. I love my car. More than I am willing to admit outside of this forum (friends and coworkers already think I'm weird given how much I talk about my car). But the non-stop hype machine at Tesla is really growing tiresome...

PS: go ahead, give me negative reputation feedback... as happens almost every time I post something even remotely not cheerleader-happy about the company or Elon...

Last edited:
He claimed only 9h of charging. Even with 120kW supercharger that is more or less impossible to do (given the taper).
I would really appreciate and respect Elon going to the effort of a detailed walk through of the charging and consumption telemetry after the trip is complete. Something on the order of the Broder investigation, but mostly focused on the data content rather than providing basis for a conclusion/argument.

Sadly there is a common tendency at Tesla to overhype things and to be overly aggressive. Whether it's the 5.4 rating in the safety test, the Supercharger Summer 2013 (and frankly, Fall 2013) rollout, the delivery dates outside of the US,... the list goes on.
This trip is just another piece of that mosaic. I love my car. More than I am willing to admit outside of this forum (friends and coworkers already think I'm weird given how much I talk about my car). But the non-stop hype machine at Tesla is really growing tiresome...

PS: go ahead, give me negative reputation feedback... as happens almost every time I post something even remotely not cheerleader-happy about the company or Elon...

While I would agree on Tesla being "overly optimistic" on Supercharger rollout and vehicle delivery dates, I don't feel the 5.4-star safety rating belongs in that category. After all, Tesla achieving that rating is a fact, there was no "cost-of-ownership"-style spin on it. And is not receiving the highest safety rating on record something to crow about?

P.S. Sorry to hear you've been receiving negative feedback. I'm a big supporter of the voicing of critical viewpoints, but also know that some on the forum get a little "overzealous" in their support for Tesla.

9h is trivially doable with the new 120kW tapering curve. His trip is average 533 miles per day x 6 days.

So every day there is:

* Charge at the hotel - 0 effective hours, gives 265 rated miles.
* Charge at first SuperCharger, 30 minutes, gives 176 rated miles.
* Charge at second SuperCharger, 30 minutes, gives 176 rated miles.
* Charge at third SuperCharger, 30 minutes, gives 176 rated miles.

That's 1.5 hours of stops per day x 6 days = 9 hours total.

And those stops will give him 793 rated miles per day. He needs 533 total. i.e. He can travel at 447 wh/m average and still make it - there's plenty of buffer. You can do this trip even with a 90kW SuperCharger and current taper, if you're willing to drive < 60 mph.

He can even do with less charging stops, but if he pushes it too much to the limit, and then runs out of charge, the P/R hit from that would be fairly disastrous. So I think 9h is plenty safe.

He'll have to stop at hotels with E.V. chargers at exactly the right spots though... "Hi, I'm the Personal Assistant for Elon Musk, and I would like to reserve a few rooms in your Hotel for Elon and his family to stay in during a much publicized cross-country E.V. road trip. Will you be offering E.V. charging in your hotel within the next 3 months? Really? You ordered it halfway through this conversation? What a coincidence!".

The bigger issue is that he may be standing in line at a charger, but that would probably not show up with the Telemetry as "charging". But seriously, again, Elon is not going to have to wait.

The bigger issue is that he may be standing in line at a charger, but that would probably not show up with the Telemetry as "charging". But seriously, again, Elon is not going to have to wait.

Are you serious? Do you really think people are going to make Elon wait in the charging line :D They'll let him in front and have a chat while he does his 20-30 min charge taking pictures with him etc ;)

Edit: eh, guess I need to learn to read until the end of all your sentences ;)

9h is trivially doable with the new 120kW tapering curve. His trip is average 533 miles per day x 6 days.

So every day there is:

* Charge at the hotel - 0 effective hours, gives 265 rated miles.
* Charge at first SuperCharger, 30 minutes, gives 176 rated miles.
* Charge at second SuperCharger, 30 minutes, gives 176 rated miles.
* Charge at third SuperCharger, 30 minutes, gives 176 rated miles.

That's 1.5 hours of stops per day x 6 days = 9 hours total.
a) I consider "total charging time" and "eh, we don't count the time spent starting at night" just a little bit disingenuous. But I guess one could spin it this way.
b) the numbers above do assume that the superchargers are spaced perfectly for his trip - but given that few of them exist or are even planned today, one could of course make the assumption that this happens to work out correctly for him
So I take it back - with enough spin and some 'luck' this may be possible. It once again sets unrealistic expectations.
He'll have to stop at hotels with E.V. chargers at exactly the right spots though... "Hi, I'm the Personal Assistant for Elon Musk, and I would like to reserve a few rooms in your Hotel for Elon and his family to stay in during a much publicized cross-country E.V. road trip. Will you be offering E.V. charging in your hotel within the next 3 months? Really? You ordered it halfway through this conversation? What a coincidence!".
I think reality is a little more complicated than that - but on the flip side, yes, the personal assistant should be able to find acceptable hotels for a billionaire and his family along the road that do, indeed, have chargers.

- - - Updated - - -

Here is is your mandatory slap as requested for not being cheerleader-happy! :tongue:
Ahh, when posting the explicit notice that one expects negative reputation one does appear to fare somewhat better. This time the positive comments outweighed the negatives by 1!!!

:p

Last edited:
a) I consider "total charging time" and "eh, we don't count the time spent starting at night" just a little bit disingenuous. But I guess one could spin it this way.

That's not spin, nor disingenuous. Charging at night is the most beautiful thing about owning an EV.

In the same line I don't "spend" an hour a day charging my cellphone.
I don't "spend" 3 hours per day cooling down my refrigerator.
I don't "spend" 2 hours per day heating up my water heater.

But all those things still happen (and take that amount of time) nonetheless.

That's not spin, nor disingenuous. Charging at night is the most beautiful thing about owning an EV.

That is a great analogy. I'm going to remember that when people (constantly, it seems) ask how long my car takes to charge. What I usually say is that it doesn't take any time at all, and then go on to explain I just plug it in at night and it's ready to go in the morning. I'm going to remember these examples.

Still no clarity on when he is planning to make this trip. I wish he would disclose a time frame so that we can better understand if Tesla will achieve the winter 2013 plan on time or miss it like they did the summer plan.

I'm grateful he didn't put a timeframe on it.
Every individual supercharger requires working with a seperate city and/or business to get the space/land, city planners and numerous permits.
The potential delays prevent a date from being set for any one of the stations much less a whole string of them.

OK, I guess you are right. It does feel like cheating, but you have a point, it's not something a normal owner would consider "charging time" - when compared to having to stop and charge on a trip.

That is a great analogy. I'm going to remember that when people (constantly, it seems) ask how long my car takes to charge. What I usually say is that it doesn't take any time at all, and then go on to explain I just plug it in at night and it's ready to go in the morning. I'm going to remember these examples.

Be warned though - that answer often gets met with "oh, but sometimes I forget to plug in my phone at night. That will suck with a car!"

My response to that is: "That's because you have to remember to go get your phone at night to charge it, whereas plugging in your car is just something you do when you get home. How often do you forget to close your garage door at night? Plugging in is part of that same step."

And if they still dont believe you, you can also point them at those inductive charger gadgets - which nobody actually needs, but everybody thinks they do, until they actually get their first EV.