Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon: One-time FSD transfers for purchases in Q3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just buy a lotto ticket since the odds are WAY better that any HW4 making L5 EVER. 🤣 🤣 🤣
Actually it's good point by the OP.
If Tesla sells some models with new design in 2025 that makes big improvement on FSD (new camara positions, radar for example) and ride comfort (maybe project Jupiter for the new model Y).
Should 2022/2023 model Y with HW3 owners trade in for HW4 now or wait until 2025?

Little known secret. There will Always be improvements and changes for as long as they make the cars. I’m sure if they had some super secret pan to revamp the Model Y this year it would already be known by now.
Your telling me something I already know. And who said anything about a super secret plan!
My model 3 was VIN 8k my model Y is VIN 15k so I am very familiar with how this works. I had never even seen a M3 in person when I picked it up in early 2018.dj That's faith :)

I figure by waiting a few weeks I could get lucky and if I don't that's fine too. Even a small improvement would be worth it. Just no reason for me to order right now unless someone can provide a good reason.

Last edited:
Reactions: edseloh and brkaus
Your telling me something I already know. And who said anything about a super secret plan!
My model 3 was VIN 8k my model Y is VIN 15k so I am very familiar with how this works. I had never even seen a M3 in person when I picked it up in early 2018.

I figure by waiting a few weeks I could get lucky and if I don't that's fine too. Even a small improvement would be worth it. Just no reason for me to order right now unless someone can provide a good reason.
You questioned why Anyone would order now. For you maybe not.

This is kind of a no brainer for me. A new Y would be cheaper than the 2022 it replaces. Plus, you’d get projector headlights, HW4 and new cams. Not necessarily a bad deal. Trade in values aren’t what they were when I traded my 2020 in on the 2022, but still not terrible.

Hmmm. None of this really changes anything for me. But that said, the number 8 clause is incredibly vague and potentially scary, but realistically I can't see it actually coming a problem for me. I'm still unclear on #4. So this person is saying that the picture of #4 in the tweet is not what he signed? And it was changed to basically say that in a private sale the FSD will remain?

Hmmm. None of this really changes anything for me. But that said, the number 8 clause is incredibly vague and potentially scary, but realistically I can't see it actually coming a problem for me. I'm still unclear on #4. So this person is saying that the picture of #4 in the tweet is not what he signed? And it was changed to basically say that in a private sale the FSD will remain?
Yeah, number 4 used to say that the FSD wouldn't stay on the new vehicle if you sold it. They removed that condition, so the FSD will stay with the new vehicle now. (It appears it was just as I suspected, they copied the terms from the FUSC transfer offer and left that portion in by mistake.)

Reactions: DriveMe
Where do I request FSD transfer?

I don't see it anywhere on the website or the app.

When I try to place an order for a new Tesla I don't see the option either. How can I make sure I can get the transfer before placing an order?

Mate, I'm in the same boat as you. Here's my story:

I was finalizing a new Model 3 order as part of the Q3 FSD transfer promo when the delivery center contacted me and said my 2018 Model 3 with FSD is not eligible because it has HW1 and that they are unable to transfer it over.

Has anyone else gotten similar communications? I unfortunately confirmed this with two advisors (one at my local delivery center and one at a central customer service center). However, on a whim, I called a separate service center who said that I was, in fact, eligible and wasn't sure why I was told otherwise.

Confused, angry, and now out $250 because the service advisor apparently canceled my order even after I changed my mind and asked him not to.

Also, I'm not sure why HW1 would even have anything to do with transferring the actual license over...

Would love any feedback or avenues to pursue. If I'm simply SOL then it is what it is.
Quick update in case anyone experiences the above from their advisor. I called an advisor from their central location and they confirmed that I would be able to transfer FSD and placed a case to process it.

Picked up a new model 3 yesterday!

I purchased my 2017 Model S with EAP. I then upgraded to FSD a couple of years later. Yesterday I transferred the FSD to my new car. The old car was downgraded to Standard Autopilot (which, by the way, wasn’t even an option back in 2017).
Although I was initially told you weren’t eligible for the transfer if you purchased FSD after delivery, I’ve since been told by others at Tesla that anyone with FSD is eligible, so we’re going for it. My wife doesn’t care about having FSD because she never uses it, but it’s worth doing to get EAP for free.

Reactions: DriveMe
Yeah, number 4 used to say that the FSD wouldn't stay on the new vehicle if you sold it. They removed that condition, so the FSD will stay with the new vehicle now. (It appears it was just as I suspected, they copied the terms from the FUSC transfer offer and left that portion in by mistake.)
Wow, I signed with original #4. Good to hear Tesla wasn’t being nasty about this nice transfer offer. I didn’t have buyer’s remorse anyway, but this is good news.

This is kind of a no brainer for me. A new Y would be cheaper than the 2022 it replaces. Plus, you’d get projector headlights, HW4 and new cams. Not necessarily a bad deal. Trade in values aren’t what they were when I traded my 2020 in on the 2022, but still not terrible.

Are you thinking of replacing your 2022 Y with a 2023 Y?

I have a 2020. I'm not sure what I want to do but I do want the new fsd 4 cameras.

Anyone try to buy a discounted inventory vehicle on Tesla's website and couple it with a referral link from a friend or family member? Were you successful in doing that? I am getting an error processing the order and wondering if it is due to that.

...but it’s worth doing to get EAP for free.
Exactly. Saves $6,000! While FSD is not something I wanted to lose, I didn't need it. But I absolutely need the EAP features with the kind and frequency of highway driving that I do. So this deal literally saves me $6,000 right up front. The question is, are they reducing the value of the trade-in? Seems the jury is still out on that one.

Anyone knows if they add the $15K to the vehicle price, and then give you a $15K discount, which would mean paying tax and annual registration fees over it? That would be kind of a showstopper for me...

Or will you get a clean invoice which doesn't show FSD at all?