Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon: One-time FSD transfers for purchases in Q3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone else received a trade in quote from Tesla that seems terribly low? I was quoted $24,400 trade-in value by Tesla for a Long Range AWD 2018 red Model 3 with white interior, acceleration boost, and 42,000 miles, which is $6,000-$7,000 below what KBB shows as trade-in value and about $7500 below what similar Model 3's seem to sell for in my area.

Reactions: Eugene Ash
Has anyone else received a trade in quote from Tesla that seems terribly low? I was quoted $24,400 trade-in value by Tesla for a Long Range AWD 2018 red Model 3 with white interior, acceleration boost, and 42,000 miles, which is $6,000-$7,000 below what KBB shows as trade-in value and about $7500 below what similar Model 3's seem to sell for in my area.
Tesla seems to low ball so just check with others like CarMax and Carvana and go with the best.

Reactions: zoiks66
It seems difficult to sell the car since don't you need to still own it when you take delivery of the new Tesla, if you're doing the free FSD transfer? I'd rather have the cash from the sale of my current car to use to pay for the new vehicle, as I won't be financing the new one.
Tesla seems to low ball so just check with others like CarMax and Carvana and go with the best.

It seems difficult to sell the car since don't you need to still own it when you take delivery of the new Tesla, if you're doing the free FSD transfer? I'd rather have the cash from the sale of my current car to use to pay for the new vehicle, as I won't be financing the new one.
Tesla can remove it up to a week before and I believe this could give you time. Also if the difference is several thousand dollars it would be worth it to get a short term loan and just pay it off as soon as you sell your car.

Reactions: zoiks66
Thanks. I'll likely just keep my Model 3 rather than deal with the hassle.
Yea, I'm tempted but with Highlander landing maybe next month or 2 I would feel shortchanged buying almost the same car now with Highlander imminent. I'm hoping that this so called "one time amnesty" as if we are breaking the law (awful term Elon) will be successful and repeated soon.

[rant]Shame of Tesla for not always offering an "amnesty" ALL the time for us long time supporters until FSD is delivered.

Screenshot 2023-07-28 at 7.42.25 AM.png

I have a 2018 Model 3 with FSD (5YJ3E1EB6JF096***) and just got confirmation that my FSD qualifies for transfer amnesty. Built in August 2018 with HW2.5 (or 2.0? I forget). I did let them know the autopilot HW had been upgraded to HW3.

I saw others posting that 2018 Model 3s weren't qualified so want to share my experience that 2018 FSD vehicles do qualify.
I'm trying to do the same. Where did you get confirmation? Chat, local agent, other? I appreciate you sharing

I'm trying to do the same. Where did you get confirmation? Chat, local agent, other? I appreciate you sharing

When I checked my trade in value with Tesla, someone contacted me a day or two later asking if I had any questions. He verified my 2018 LR 3 FSD was eligible for transfer. I haven't gone ahead with the order yet, so I do not know for sure, but I do have it in a text message at least.

For reference, mine originally came with HW 2.5 and EAP. Then upgraded to FSD with the $2k sale and got the HW 3 upgrade. Nov 2018 build.

Reactions: z5TLDT1UC8SW0G
Others have reported that cars that didn't include standard basic AP originally will have it after transferring FSD. I can't speak from personal experience.
After FSD was moved, my 2018 3 had nothing but adaptive cruise, as it did when purchased new. But obviously some people might get lucky when the “switch” is flipped at the mothership.

Last edited:
Reactions: superblast
Was wondering about that as well. The term doesn't seem applicable to refusing delivery though, it just states removal of FSD from the current vehicle cannot be reversed. IMHO you would only lose FSD on the current vehicle in case you cancel your order and it has already been removed.
Got confirmation from sales:

The FSD transfer will occur once you take delivery. Anything that happens to prior, including VIN rematch, won't affect the process.​

I have a PPSW 2019 Model 3 LR AWD, ~27000 miles with acceleration boost and is in pretty condition. Both Tesla & carmax & other places quoted similarly around $26000 - $27000. So I decided to keep it :)

Reactions: Eugene Ash
When I checked my trade in value with Tesla, someone contacted me a day or two later asking if I had any questions. He verified my 2018 LR 3 FSD was eligible for transfer. I haven't gone ahead with the order yet, so I do not know for sure, but I do have it in a text message at least.

For reference, mine originally came with HW 2.5 and EAP. Then upgraded to FSD with the $2k sale and got the HW 3 upgrade. Nov 2018 build.
I'm in the same situation but with an Oct 2018 build and I should be picking up a Model Y tomorrow. Will report back if I run into issues.

Just make sure you add FSD to your order if you want to do the transfer and they'll deduct the amount in the final true up.