Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon says AWD and Perf orders start at end of next week!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have to believe 90%+ of the people toying with the idea of the Performance model are "out" at the $78K price point. I know I can't justify that level of price premium. I'm not "surprised" though - seems about right. I am disappointed that "white" is only available with performance at this point. Overall though, it would be nice if the "P" cars had more visual cues to separate them from their non-P counterparts. As a comparison, my wife and I both owned BMW 5 series 2001 and 2002 models at one point. Hers was a 530i and mine an M5. Beyond the engine and suspension differences, the M5 had options unique to it including: wheels/tires, two different leather interior packages (different seat styles, colored inserts, full leather dash and doors, etc.), specific exterior colors, unique bumpers, Alcantara headliner, gauges, etc.).

Aftermarket will be available to those who want to bling-out. Me, I might remove the designation...

TSLA is weird. In my case in 2016, I went way over car budget to lease an X P90D. I mean the payments are sick I should have bought an investment property instead and collected the rent! Still, you only live once and it has been a blast to drive that thing passing everything except S P100D and X P100D's at will pretty much. Probably is wifey doesn't like "launch" mode haha. Leased that since I knew AP 1.0 would be obsolete soon, not to mention battery.

(Of course, the TSLA price action helped my confidence for the 2016 P 90D.)

Model 3P I am buying outright and keeping that, since "someday..." it will be able to have full autonomy, perhaps needing only a GPU upgrade...

I have to believe 90%+ of the people toying with the idea of the Performance model are "out" at the $78K price point. I know I can't justify that level of price premium. I'm not "surprised" though - seems about right. I am disappointed that "white" is only available with performance at this point. Overall though, it would be nice if the "P" cars had more visual cues to separate them from their non-P counterparts. As a comparison, my wife and I both owned BMW 5 series 2001 and 2002 models at one point. Hers was a 530i and mine an M5. Beyond the engine and suspension differences, the M5 had options unique to it including: wheels/tires, two different leather interior packages (different seat styles, colored inserts, full leather dash and doors, etc.), specific exterior colors, unique bumpers, Alcantara headliner, gauges, etc.).

Reactions: e-FTW
I accidentally went one screen too far and ordered on Thursday (CC already on file as an existing owner. Remarkably easy to "accidentally" order a car). Called customer service immediately, and while the couldn't convert me back to a reservation, they did allow me to defer to a dual motor car as my Vin had not been assigned. Left the guy a VM this morning to make the change. Give them a call tomorrow, I'm sure you can do the same.

Douchebaggy move on Tesla's part. Reputable companies give you a window to cancel. Airlines often give 24 hours, for example. Especially douchebaggy since Tesla changed the Model 3 design so that there is no longer an obvious defer option, and it's now just a "Notify" link within the designer.

I also note that they've now added a separate notify option for the Standard Battery. Previously it was just a Base ($35k) option. Now there's Base ($35k) and Standard Battery, for people like me who'd buy one with the Premium Package (very expensive heated mirrors with some other stuff bundled for free).

For me the question is will it be possible to get AWD with the white interior before the tax credit halves. Pretty annoyed that they’re having supply issues with an option that was supposed to be available last fall! And is just a change of fabric color.
I don’t think I can justify getting the performance version. Hopefully they publish details of what’s upgraded. To be faster than a BMW M3 at a track would require major upgrades but I have a feeling that claim is not backed up by any data.
A bit of a self own bragging about redundant drivetrains. I hope this doesn’t mean that they haven’t fixed the drivetrain issues that the Model S has in the Model 3. If they simply got the drivetrain reliability up to the level of the best ICE vehicles it would be a non-issue.

I think many people were expecting the performance version to be in the $60ks.

Partly because many people were expecting the battery to be cheaper, while the $9k LR "option" puts the price over $300/kWh.

Elon Musk had also tweeted in 2016 that the AWD option would be cheaper than the option in the S, and it isn't, which also pushes the price up.

At this point, really, everything Tesla is more expensive than many people were expecting, and Tesla's current position means that they're going to squeeze as much margin from options as they can.

I’m confused. “How dare white seats be exclusive to P?!” Then the next sentence: “I wish Tesla had more options that were exclusive to P!”

For me: no black headliner or anything black if I can help it.

For me.....the color black always makes me feel like I'm closed in. I'm not claustrophobic or anything....just hate feelin sqhished and having my surroundings appearing to be smaller.
While I generally agree with you, I'll note that my S has the light beige Alcantara (cough) headliner from 4 years ago, and my X has black. I was a little apprehensive about the black for the reasons you mention, but I think with the Model X glass windshield (comparable to the Model 3 glass roof, I'm thinking) it seems to just kind of disappear away. It may not be as closed in as you think. It wasn't for me.

I think many people were expecting the performance version to be in the $60ks.

Partly because many people were expecting the battery to be cheaper, while the $9k LR "option" puts the price over $300/kWh.

Elon Musk had also tweeted in 2016 that the AWD option would be cheaper than the option in the S, and it isn't, which also pushes the price up.

At this point, really, everything Tesla is more expensive than many people were expecting, and Tesla's current position means that they're going to squeeze as much margin from options as they can.
Why would the battery be cheaper?

Its different than the model S battery ..but why would it be cheaper?

As a matter of fact....I was thinking the other way around. Its a more efficient and more advanced battery.....and its the same price?

Usually when something is improved....the price goes up. Someone has to pay for all of that R&D and re-manufacturing.

I've been waiting to buy a performance Model 3 for what seems like forever after being 3rd in line on 3/31 but decided not to stay up late last night to try and be the first to configure. I'm glad I didn't. $78k is at least $10,000 more than the starting price for the BMW M3 and 3.5 0-60 is a little underwhelming (I wouldn't categorize it as "ludicrous") when compared to the Model S performance, a car that is a full 1,000 pounds heavier. A more expensive Ludicrous option later on would only make the proposition worse. Seriously considering trading in my Model 3 LR for a standard AWD Model 3 or waiting to see what happens down the road. Also I don't want 20 inch wheels so that's another factor.

Reactions: Alketi
So, at the $78k pricepoint, does anyone else think a well equipped low mileage P85D is a better buy?

Different class of car. Also, you’d have to add $5k to the M3P to get autopilot whereas most P85D have AP1 convenience features enabled. That said, the price and performance of M3P creates an interesting dilemma for the prospective first time Tesla buyer. New S Model 75D vs Used Model S P85D vs New Model 3 Performance. How cool it is to have so many excellent choices.