Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon says AWD and Perf orders start at end of next week!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had this same thought last night...until I remembered that that only applies to the non-Performance Teslas. The Performance cars have always had accurately reported 0-60mph numbers. P85D, P90D/L, P100D -- none of them are actually quicker than the stated number.

So, IMHO, we should take the 3.5 second number at face value and not get our hopes up for it secretly being 3.2 seconds.

Note that I would absolutely LOVE to be wrong about this. ;)

Thanks Ryan,

Maybe...just maybe....if you catch Elon in a good mood again....you can ask him for us....

Is 3.5 a performance time or a ludicrous time?

I can't believe I'm listening to your podcast and actually chatting with you in a forum. This is a 2fer!!!! -Life is good.

Yeah the 78k price tag killed for me. The wife even gave me the ok to spend 72k.

I just don't the understand where the extra $23k comes from. I thought he said the motors between the AWD and the P are the same they are just choosing the best ones from the lot when doing their quality and performance checks.

So what else are you getting?

You are getting larger wheels, better brakes, a carbon spoiler and early access to the white interior.

Equivalent upgrade from 340xi to M3 costs about $16,500.

However a top spec M3 has some serious upgrades such as ceramic brakes, adaptive suspension, race seats and other goodies and is still under $80,000.

If we're merely concerned about getting the P3D on the track to beat Miatas and M3s, then sure, the P85D is a totally different car. But, I think the majority of folks who want the P3D won't spend that much time on a track. I'm stripping the comparison down all the way to wanting a quick EV, that just happens to be a Tesla.
My point is that if you want a large luxury sedan get a Model S. If you want a mid-size sports sedan get a Model 3.

Yeah the 78k price tag killed for me. The wife even gave me the ok to spend 72k.

I just don't the understand where the extra $23k comes from. I thought he said the motors between the AWD and the P are the same they are just choosing the best ones from the lot when doing their quality and performance checks.

So what else are you getting?

20" Sport Wheels ($3000?), Carbon Fiber Spoiler ($1000?), Red Brake Calipers? Carbon Fiber Interior? (just speculating)

You are getting larger wheels, better brakes, a carbon spoiler and early access to the white interior.

Equivalent upgrade from 340xi to M3 costs about $16,500.

However a top spec M3 has some serious upgrades such as ceramic brakes, adaptive suspension, race seats and other goodies and is still under $80,000.
20" Sport Wheels ($3000?), Carbon Fiber Spoiler ($1000?), Red Brake Calipers? Carbon Fiber Interior? (just speculating)

Suspension $4000, white inteiror $0.

Why would the battery be cheaper?

Its different than the model S battery ..but why would it be cheaper?

As a matter of fact....I was thinking the other way around. Its a more efficient and more advanced battery.....and its the same price?

Usually when something is improved....the price goes up. Someone has to pay for all of that R&D and re-manufacturing.

It was expected to be cheaper, because Tesla's been banging on about lowering the cost of batteries for as long as I can remember.

The battery isn't better than the Model S battery. It can't be charged as fast and it's no denser. It's just designed to be cheaper to make. But that's OK: cheaper is what's really important, because cheaper is needed to sell in really high volumes.

And, actually, no, when things are improved, the price doesn't go up. The improvement and R&D is required due to competition. There are burst when new things are expensive, but ultimately the prices settle back down. What really adds to cost are _added_ features. But the cost of those added features also reduces over time.

My $100 smartphone is 3 1/2 years old and when I have to replace it (hopefully not for a few years yet) I can guarantee that if I get another $100 smartphone it will have a better processor, more memory, more storage, more battery capacity and better cameras. Those of us who live away from the bleeding edge just laugh at the flagship phone price insanity and get to enjoy better and/or cheaper phones.

Except with this P they don't want to take away from some model S sales.... so this one could be the first P that is a little inaccurate on paper than in RL.

I hope you're right! :D I'm just setting my expectations "lower" (i.e. it's actually 3.5 seconds) so that I'll be pleasantly surprised if it's quicker rather than disappointed if it's not.

• Love
Reactions: Esme Es Mejor
I had this same thought last night...until I remembered that that only applies to the non-Performance Teslas. The Performance cars have always had accurately reported 0-60mph numbers. P85D, P90D/L, P100D -- none of them are actually quicker than the stated number.

So, IMHO, we should take the 3.5 second number at face value and not get our hopes up for it secretly being 3.2 seconds.

Can someone fact check this and post original tesla design studio screen grabs? Not totally disagreeing with you, just want to be sure. While I agree the Model S P/D car 0-60'a have always been much closer tested to advertised, I also remember them being a bit faster than promoted. Not by much, but like 0.1-0.2 sec... Not anywhere like the 1/2sec difference seen in LR Model 3.

I'm guessing the drag guys on youtube will get like 3.38 or something similar from this car.

Tesla has a history of "uncorking" performance with new software releases. Nobody should ever buy expecting specs to improve... but it is possible they will. I could see them mysteriously finding a way to goose P3 acceleration someday when the PS performance makes a jump.

It was expected to be cheaper, because Tesla's been banging on about lowering the cost of batteries for as long as I can remember.

The battery isn't better than the Model S battery. It can't be charged as fast and it's no denser. It's just designed to be cheaper to make. But that's OK: cheaper is what's really important, because cheaper is needed to sell in really high volumes.

And, actually, no, when things are improved, the price doesn't go up. The improvement and R&D is required due to competition. There are burst when new things are expensive, but ultimately the prices settle back down. What really adds to cost are _added_ features. But the cost of those added features also reduces over time.

My $100 smartphone is 3 1/2 years old and when I have to replace it (hopefully not for a few years yet) I can guarantee that if I get another $100 smartphone it will have a better processor, more memory, more storage, more battery capacity and better cameras. Those of us who live away from the bleeding edge just laugh at the flagship phone price insanity and get to enjoy better and/or cheaper phones.
This is an interesting post from “It’s not about the money.” ;)

My question is, does anyone honestly think reservation order online even matters? I’m genuinely curious.

They’re going to service Employees and Early adopters first. Would it be any different for the rest of us that reserved on day 1?

Just think. We stay up all night and reserve right when it opens, yay us! But employee/owner reserves in the morning 12 hours later. Don’t you think by the time they start building/delivering them that they’ll just look at the list and deliver first according to the order the reservations were placed?

I mean it might help us a little to be in one batch instead of another, but overall it doesn’t seem like it will help that much. This all coming from someone that was up at 3:00am trying to order.

I think there's a reasonable chance it could go either way. Thing is, even if refreshing like a mad-man doesn't have a 100% chance of helping me get my car earlier, its still a greater-than 0% chance, and I think that's worth it. My car situation isn't the best right now, and I want to get my Model 3 as soon as possible.
Also, I'm feeding on the suck-cost-fallacy like it's a drug. I already camped out at the store to reserve, obsessively follow ever little piece of news, and have been refreshing the page like a mad-man since Elon tweeted "I’m about to test the configurator & then it goes out to early reservation holders tonight". It would be a pity to waste that effort by not sticking with it until I've actually placed my order.

Hmm....at this price point....I gotta wait to see what the Mission E has to offer. Yeah...no supercharger, and "autopilot"....but I'm thinking Porsche Adaptive Cruise, PASM, other Porsche gadgets, and the Porsche Key Fob so I can show off to my peeps will make up for it. Oh....and the Mission E could be less expensive cuz of the fed tax credit.

Have to agree that 3.5 is the best you can expect. Tesla was never going to let the P3D get close to the P100. Guess we will all know in a few months when the first ones hit the drag strip.