Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon says AWD and Perf orders start at end of next week!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Get Twitter alerts for Electrek, they're great! I don't use Twitter for anything other than alerts from Electrek and Elon Musk. Electrek posts articles to Twitter within minutes of being on their site, so you know immediately.

OR... you can click on the Tesla reservation website 4000 times a day.....and buy a new batteries for your wireless mouse every week......like me. lol

Last edited:
Interesting.

I believe the Owner vs. Non-Owner thing is going away concerning P-AWD / AWD / White Interior. I don't have any kind of proof at all. Just a thought. I don't think there are very many people wanting / waiting / affording these versions.

I think the version many many people are waiting for is the non-PUP $35k version. I think that waiting list is far far greater.

I believe there is a far greater list of people wanting to get into the EV market than those who want to perform in it. Again...I don't have any proof.....but.....

If they start producing the new options in July they will have 30-45 days of orders. They can put these in priority order.

There will also be a ramp for these new options so the line does not stop. The white interior seems to be the easiest as it is replacing finishes and should have a quicker ramp. The one variable is that whole profit margin factor. If they make more on selling 4,000 P-AWD's vs 5,000 RWD's that short term slower production might be worth it. I guess that's why Elon earns that minimum wage salary to make the big short term decisions.

This is what is now referred to in the auto industry as the "halo" car. It is your brand's own passive marketing. Same as the Lexus LFA and the new Roadster will be.

An outlandishly-specced car (compared to the rest of your lineup), built in limited quantities, whose sole purpose is to get people talking about your brand (and ultimately, purchasing one they CAN afford).

Certainly GM has been building Halo cars since the 1960's or earlier, as have other brands. When you hear of the legendary performance cars of the 1960s they were Halo variants distributed to certain dealers that went right to race teams. A 426 Hemi Roadrunner was not actually that quick. And a Camaro SS 396 wasn't as quick as today's Chevrolet Bolt EV... In the 1/4 mile. Both run about a 15.0 seconds, but the Camaro required tuning and tires to get there.

GM still does the Halo cars, except that with Chevrolet, unlike Lexus and most others, they are expected to win production races just like in the past. And like Porsche and Ferrari, have built some "I know it has a license plate, but trust me, keep it off the street, or you'll be unhappy with it." cars.

Chevrolet even builds some No-VIN cars. You order them out of the Performance Parts Center. This is factory built car you order over the GM parts counter. While it runs in the same NHRA class as the Demon would, Dodge would be bringing a knife to gunfight:

COPO.jpg

GM also has perhaps the most extensive catalog of aftermarket racing parts of any brand. Most companies want you to avoid modifications. GM has a free on-line manual on how to squeeze 850 reliable horsepower out of their 4 cylinder engine, and it's very detailed, down to shim heights, and block modifications.

A little different animal.

If they start producing the new options in July they will have 30-45 days of orders. They can put these in priority order.

There will also be a ramp for these new options so the line does not stop. The white interior seems to be the easiest as it is replacing finishes and should have a quicker ramp. The one variable is that whole profit margin factor. If they make more on selling 4,000 P-AWD's vs 5,000 RWD's that short term slower production might be worth it. I guess that's why Elon earns that minimum wage salary to make the big short term decisions.

The reason the Owner vs Non-Owner will go away is because as soon as you add additional options......it has to.

For instance:

What if White Seat appear as an option as Elon states......and there are 5K reservationists waiting for these seats on the current PUP version. All they want are the white seats.

Now lets say that there is a person wanting all buttons checked ( such as myself ). I'm confident that's a much shorter line. So those people will get their cars ( previous owner or not ) far sooner than someone simply waiting for white seats.

The same thing happened with the Model S and X's.

Reactions: jbcarioca
Certainly GM has been building Halo cars since the 1960's or earlier, as have other brands. When you hear of the legendary performance cars of the 1960s they were Halo variants distributed to certain dealers that went right to race teams. A 426 Hemi Roadrunner was not actually that quick. And a Camaro SS 396 wasn't as quick as today's Chevrolet Bolt EV... In the 1/4 mile. Both run about a 15.0 seconds, but the Camaro required tuning and tires to get there.

GM still does the Halo cars, except that with Chevrolet, unlike Lexus and most others, they are expected to win production races just like in the past. And like Porsche and Ferrari, have built some "I know it has a license plate, but trust me, keep it off the street, or you'll be unhappy with it." cars.

Chevrolet even builds some No-VIN cars. You order them out of the Performance Parts Center. This is factory built car you order over the GM parts counter. While it runs in the same NHRA class as the Demon would, Dodge would be bringing a knife to gunfight:

View attachment 301769

GM also has perhaps the most extensive catalog of aftermarket racing parts of any brand. Most companies want you to avoid modifications. GM has a free on-line manual on how to squeeze 850 reliable horsepower out of their 4 cylinder engine, and it's very detailed, down to shim heights, and block modifications.

A little different animal.

Are we posting pics of ICE cars and talking about gas powered engine cylinders in THIS thread?

I can't think of a conversation that could be more opposite of the title of this thread. .

The reason the Owner vs Non-Owner will go away is because as soon as you add additional options......it has to...
That has been generally true IME across a wide variety of products. The only exception I remember is custom options, which take extra time.
Once in a while even that can speed production. Special colors or options that require non-mass-production can be faster, but usually those are shorter. In the world of JIT it all depends on what items are most plentiful in the supply chain, as in M3 wheels right now.

The reason the Owner vs Non-Owner will go away is because as soon as you add additional options......it has to.

For instance:

What if White Seat appear as an option as Elon states......and there are 5K reservationists waiting for these seats on the current PUP version. All they want are the white seats.

Now lets say that there is a person wanting all buttons checked ( such as myself ). I'm confident that's a much shorter line. So those people will get their cars ( previous owner or not ) far sooner than someone simply waiting for white seats.

The same thing happened with the Model S and X's.

At the moment, I plan on checking every hardware option.....not loaning them R+D money for FSD, though.

Dream Model 3GT variant:

RWD with LSD. Any track advantage you get with FWD is balanced against understeering and weight increases.
Ability to disable all driver assistants.
Wide rim option, 18".
Large brake option.
Ability to run at track speeds for 20 minutes. Tuning the motor, inverter, gearing, as required.
Adjustable sway bars, dampening, and ride height with tools.
Weight reduction.

Last edited:
Are we posting pics of ICE cars and talking about gas powered engine cylinders in THIS thread?

I can't think of a conversation that could be more opposite of the title of this thread. .

The thread is in part discussing what should or should not be in a Performance Variant and whether Tesla would/could/should make the Model 3 Performance Variant a halo car.

If you want to discuss only badging, interior trim colors, or retail pricing, and skip the whole application component of a performance car, that's OK too.

Very interesting you say that because FSD is the sole option that I've been wrestling with for weeks now. I'm still all buttons checked, however depending on the final price....FSD will be the option to go....otherwise all buttons checked.

I've timed things out so that the CD i have matures in a few weeks, just in time to be "liquid" for the big purchase.

Reactions: Garlan Garner
Dream Model 3GT variant:

RWD with LSD. Any track advantage you get with FWD is balanced against understeering and weight increases.
Ability to disable all driver assistants.
Wide rim option, 18".
Large brake option.
Ability to run at track speeds for 20 minutes. Tuning the motor, inverter, gearing, as required.
Adjustable sway bars and ride height with tools.
Weight reduction.
I know you're desiring to kick your GM/ICE habit. I cannot resist needling you from time to time.
I just want my loaded P3 ASAP so I can drive from Miami-LA-Vancouver-Halifax-LA on Superchargers all the way. It seems I'll have some reroutes here and there...

Wait......I forget......what is this thread about?

This thread is at least partially about the performance version of the Model 3. To that end, discussion of what constitutes a performance version of a car is fair game. I am very interested in that. Like McRat, I also wish that Tesla would release a track focused version of the Model 3. Also, comparing a max performance version of the 3 to similar versions of other cars is relevant. Some folks on this forum forget that not every Tesla enthusiast is a zealous hater of non-EVs.

Reactions: SD_Engnr and McRat