Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon says no Central Speedometer

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am not aware of any car's success or failure which could be mostly attributed to the interior design
Perhaps true, but many manufacturers offer different flavors of the same model. The Audi A3, for example, comes in several trims, all of which have different tweaks to the interior, from basic dash to virtual cockpit/MMI-Nav/B&O sound system.

In Elon's world, one-size fits all. (At least for now.)

I just hope the User Experience is better than the Caddy I rented last month. Had it for a whole week, and the radio volume buttons were horrible. Even tho they were separate from the video screen, it still took some fumbling around to change volume. Using the NAV, down and right of my driving eye sight was even worse with (or as a result of?) my progressive lenses. Eyes move right, head turns right, head bobs up and down to find the correct 'vision' sweet spot. Can't wait for the floating iPad screen. All the while traveling at 80 mph.

I get that the geeks want to design 'cool', and if that is your target, niche market, ok. But for me, I'd gladly pay extra for a speedo option. (And radio buttons. I can find them by tactile feel, without eyes ever leaving the road.)

Last edited:
Reactions: Scannerman
The distance is no different from a traditional instrument panel though, and no one complained about the "jarring" transition.

I would argue Model 3 screen is closer to driver than average instrument cluster, also lower and more to the right of course. So further away from windshield line of sight.

Whether or not this is an issue to anyone remains to be seen. Maybe "you won't care"... ;)

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: Laban
also lower and more to the right of course.
I wouldn't say it's necessarily lower... (upper left corner of the screen)
screen-shot-2017-05-17-at-10-10-49-pm.png

I wouldn't say it's necessarily lower... (upper left corner of the screen)

@JeffK, the Model 3 speedo looks to be significantly lower than the top of the steering wheel - that is low compared to the placement on the recent comparisons: Civic 8th gen, 350z central digital speedo and Prius have their speedos higher than Model 3... some significantly so.

Model 3 is more like putting the speedo on the radio/nav screens on the below cars:

393521d1429134092-wtb-fa-fd-oem-steering-wheel-located-ca-honda_civicsisedan_6spdmtwnav_2008_interior_steeringwheel_640x480.jpg

nissan-350z-interior.jpg

2017_toyota_prius_v_dashboard.jpg

@JeffK, the Model 3 speedo looks to be significantly lower than the top of the steering wheel - that is low compared to the placement on the recent comparisons: Civic 8th gen, 350z central digital speedo and Prius have their speedos higher than Model 3... some significantly so.

Model 3 is more like putting the speedo on the radio/nav screens on the below cars:

393521d1429134092-wtb-fa-fd-oem-steering-wheel-located-ca-honda_civicsisedan_6spdmtwnav_2008_interior_steeringwheel_640x480.jpg

nissan-350z-interior.jpg

But you didn't say the civic 8th gen... you said
I would argue Model 3 screen is closer to driver than average instrument cluster, also lower and more to the right of course.

nissan-350z-interior.jpg

Not even close. The speedometer is in the top left corner of the display which is a lot nearer to the top of the steering wheel and a lot closer to the steering wheel than in the 2nd example. That difference makes a large difference ergonomically.

Reactions: JeffK

nissan-350z-interior.jpg

I don't agree. For instance in the below case the Model 3 speedometer seems to be a bit further to the left and the same height as the leftmost round dial:

nissan-350z-interior.jpg

tesla-model-3-live-15-inch-screen.jpg

Look at how low that dash is and the forward view! And from the driver's perspective, the speed readout is going to be right at the bottom center. You can gripe that it's different- yes it is- but to call than un-ergonomic is absurd!

I think "that" is more what Elon meant with his "like a spaceship" comment, an expansive view out the front due to the incredibly low dash with an lcd screen with all your information right at the bottom and an expansive glass view all the way to the back of the car!
(And I'm someone who still wants his HUD! :D)

I don't agree. For instance in the below case the Model 3 speedometer seems to be a bit further to the left and the same height as the leftmost round dial:

I agree that the 350z has the lower speedometer of the three examples, however it is further back over on the dash than the Model 3 one. And the Prius and Civic 8th gen examples definitely have the speedo higher than Model 3, as they are above the steering wheel.

We can get bogged down on comparing some detail with some other car, but I'd guess something we can agree on is: Model 3 places the speedo very near to the driver, not further back over on the dash as many other cars do, and places it to the low right of the driver.

Whether or not this is any kind of a problem, and what the exacts of comparisons between some particular cars may be (lacking direct measurements), are speculative.

Look at how low that dash is and the forward view! And from the driver's perspective, the speed readout is going to be right at the bottom center. You can gripe that it's different- yes it is- but to call than un-ergonomic is absurd!

I think calling it either ergonomic or unergonomic would be premature. It is different and that's all we know about it at this stage. We need personal experiences and neutral reviews to say anything further.

It is different, that's for sure.

I think calling it either ergonomic or unergonomic would be premature. It is different and that's all we know about it at this stage. We need personal experiences and neutral reviews to say anything further.

It is different, that's for sure.

I just wanted to add I had a 2004 or 2003 Mini Cooper model s.
The speedometer and all the "lights" check engine tire pressure oil etc were in the center.
I want to say it took about 5 minutes to get used to it FYI

FS:: 2003 Mini Cooper S 6 speed manual low mileage - North American Motoring

Reactions: DR61
The speedometer and all the "lights" check engine tire pressure oil etc were in the center.

I agree that Mini Cooper is a fairly comparable example as far as forward distance/closeness of the speedo goes (i.e. it is further away from windshield line of sight, just like Model 3 speedo is).

It does speak of something, though, that Mini first offered a digital speedo in addition, in front of the driver, and later discontinued the central speedo altogether. I'm guessing it had some adoption hindrance issues (in the modern age, at least, that is).

Again, I'm not saying this is the kind of issue that will stop the car from achieving success - any more than the legendary design stopped Mini from achieving success - just that it could be an adoption issue to some customers, with very few adoption benefits in return.

To each his own. I had the same car ('04 S) for 10 years, and I always hated the stupid central speedometer.

I can't believe this pointless thread has gone on for 22 pages. One side hates the idea with a white hot passion and the other side thinks it's the coolest thing since sliced bread. Both think the other side is being stupid and neither side budges. Kind of like US politics these days.

I think I'm staying out of the entire Model 3 forum until the car is released...

To each his own. I had the same car ('04 S) for 10 years, and I always hated the stupid central speedometer.

I can't believe this pointless thread has gone on for 22 pages. One side hates the idea with a white hot passion and the other side thinks it's the coolest thing since sliced bread. Both think the other side is being stupid and neither side budges. Kind of like US politics these days.

I think I'm staying out of the entire Model 3 forum until the car is released...

As someone who is ok in general with just the center display, but undecided on the ergonomics, I agree that it is probably best just to wait for reviews from people who have actually driven the car.

That's pretty much all I have to say for the next 2 months or so.

To me, not having a central speedometer won't be a deal breaker, but is something I don't like and even more importantly, something I don't understand.

Don't get me wrong, it might work just as well without and it will definitely save a few dollars. But to me, the genius about Tesla approaching EVs was them not making their weird-mobiles. That's why I bought a Model S and that's why my wife and I will replace her Audi with a Model 3.

Switching from an ICEV to an EV is more than enough change. You don't need it to look weird, feel weird, or try to reinvent the wheel. To really reach the mass market, you have to make it look and feel as normal as possible, so that people can only focus on one change at a time.

So for their most mainstream model, you'd think they would stay away from weird decisions. And mostly they did. It didn't turn out o be a three wheeler, with plywood falcon winged doors and wheel skirts. It looks like a regular premium sedan, which I believe is what people want. But why make that one strange decision, which will keep people distracted from how great the car actually is.

It is like person, with a big hairy mole on his/her face. That person could be attractive as hell, but it will take you some time to notice. And some still just won't get over just noticing that big hairy mole.

To me, not having a central speedometer won't be a deal breaker, but is something I don't like and even more importantly, something I don't understand.

Don't get me wrong, it might work just as well without and it will definitely save a few dollars. But to me, the genius about Tesla approaching EVs was them not making their weird-mobiles. That's why I bought a Model S and that's why my wife and I will replace her Audi with a Model 3.

Switching from an ICEV to an EV is more than enough change. You don't need it to look weird, feel weird, or try to reinvent the wheel. To really reach the mass market, you have to make it look and feel as normal as possible, so that people can only focus on one change at a time.

So for their most mainstream model, you'd think they would stay away from weird decisions. And mostly they did. It didn't turn out o be a three wheeler, with plywood falcon winged doors and wheel skirts. It looks like a regular premium sedan, which I believe is what people want. But why make that one strange decision, which will keep people distracted from how great the car actually is.

It is like person, with a big hairy mole on his/her face. That person could be attractive as hell, but it will take you some time to notice. And some still just won't get over just noticing that big hairy mole.
I think it's an overreaction. None of us have sat in the driver's seat and actually used the screen yet. The reaction seems similar to journalist reactions to the Model S putting almost all controls on the touchscreen (loss of tactile feedback and need to take eyes off the road). Plenty of doubts on that from reviewers and they are "justified" by the poor experience of using touch screens in other cars.

However, the large size and good UI design made the big difference in Tesla's implementation. Now more and more people are copying Tesla and making their controls touchscreen only.

Personally, I prefer the traditional instrument cluster, but I'm not going to knock Tesla's implementation until I actually tried it.

Reactions: shrspeedblade