Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon Tweeting about Thailand and Reputation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sues for only $75k. If he was really a money grubbing dirt bag, he would be suing for a lot more. Sounds like he mainly just wants Elon to stop spreading lies over and over.

Clearly have never been involved in a lawsuit...

What's the damage? $75k is a ton for libel as a non-celebrity.

Unless Vern has something like "Elon made it so I couldn't get X job" or "Elon made it so that XYZ people were mean to me," he's not going to get a lot out of this.

Lastly, he's requested punitive damages for an unspecified amount. He could get much more than this.

• Informative
Reactions: dhrivnak
Clearly have never been involved in a lawsuit...

What's the damage? $75k is a ton for libel as a non-celebrity.

Unless Vern has something like "Elon made it so I couldn't get X job" or "Elon made it so that XYZ people were mean to me," he's not going to get a lot out of this.

Lastly, he's requested punitive damages for an unspecified amount. He could get much more than this.

I guess we'll let the legal process play out then.

California lawsuit is DOA, because the standards for proving libel in California are high and cannot be met. Unsworth would have to prove that Musk *believed* his claims to be false.

We'll see about the proposed libel lawsuit in England, where the standards are much lower.

California lawsuit is DOA, because the standards for proving libel in California are high and cannot be met. Unsworth would have to prove that Musk *believed* his claims to be false.

We'll see about the proposed libel lawsuit in England, where the standards are much lower.

First, that's just not correct. Libel laws do not require that Elon know it was false. They also cover reckless statements.

If you go on television and call Michael Jordan a pedophile with no evidence, he will win a libel case against you. You can't use "well, I didn't know it was false" as a defense.

Second, there's a higher standard when accusing someone of committing a crime. This is why reporters always use "alleged' or "accused" or "convicted" when reporting on people.

Third, Elon did know it was false when he sent Buzzfeed the email in mid-August. Vern's lawyer sent a letter that was received by Tesla on August 6th, demanding that Elon stop making false claims. At that point, Elon knows it's false because Vern's lawyer told him it was false.

• Disagree
Reactions: JRP3
Brilliant!
Yes, that's why the August 6 letter was so important. It's the equivalent to a cease-and-desist, which Elon ignored.

He forfeit the ability to use "well, I didn't know whether or not Vern was a pedophile" as a defense.

When he made the comments in mid-August, he'd had a direct denial from Vern and stated the accusation as fact regardless. That easily meets the standard of reckless.

Also, very smart to sue in both the US and the UK. Gives him a chance to double dip on punititve damages.

Sues for only $75k. If he was really a money grubbing dirt bag, he would be suing for a lot more. Sounds like he mainly just wants Elon to stop spreading lies over and over.

seeks "at least 75k"

that is to classify it into a category, the lawsuit is for 76m

actual lawsuit, for those who choose to read it

Dropbox - Unsworth v. Musk 18-08048.pdf

If am looking forward to hear from Musk what information prompted him to make his accusations.

I just cannot fanthom that vulgarity that Unsworth used to demean charity of people working on the submarine project prompted all that.

Reactions: SpaceCash
Interesting. It sounds like the Buzzfeed emails are the only potential problems(in CA). And, of course, those are only alleged to have been written by him at all, being sourced from an email that anonymous sources claimed Elon sometimes uses. If that’s not true, or any other people ever use that email, he could potentially claim he didn’t write those.

This guy is the one that was spreading FUD when I was planning to buy my S a couple ears ago... he still is employed? Glad we can go back and see how wrong he was, and continues to be... all those “competitors” are 2 years late, and we haven’t heard a notch about how that are failing to meet thier deadlines, that’s 2 years late and really sad technical specks and no infrastructure...looks like people who do shop these cars will be tiring to Tesla for better electric cars... feel for the traditional auto makers a bit, they really are in a bind. Can’t catch up, loosing market share, no infrastructure, and no experience.... plus gotta deal with dealerships.... guess the products will speak for themselves.....thinks people will slowly start to realize what Tesla has done.... I mean these are the “powerful automakers” and they still can’t catch up, or inovate..... I guess if you want seat massagers as your getting passed by the Tesla, and looking for a charge point, or waiting for a level two charger to fill you up, is ok for some...

Reactions: SpaceCash