Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon Tweeting about Thailand and Reputation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There comes a time in every (successful) organization's development when the founder starts to get in the way of growth, rather than promoting it. Mr. Musk is not a Tesla founder but I know he sees himself that way. And we may be nearing the moment when "Founder's Syndrome" is beginning to rear its head: where a charasmatic leader's missteps diminish the organization he helped create. That despite all the nights he spent sleeping on rooftops and factory floors. He's an able problem solver. No, a genius problem solver. But when he generates as many problems as he solves (don't know the exact ratio but there's entries on both sides of that ledger of late) , it's time to think about change.
Robin

Before you make ignorant statements, you should do a simple search to be sure that what you are about to post is accurate. Musk provided the funding for Tesla and had to take over when the CEO proved hiimself inept and dishonest. He is identified as a co-founder because of the funding he provided to get a great idea going. He is the only reason anyone was able to get a roadster and everything after that is due to he driving force. Others were instrumental, but Elon was and is key to the success of the company.

If you have doubts about Elon's ability to lead the company, you should probably sell your shares because you will only find more reasons to be upset and frustrated going forward.

Before you make ignorant statements, you should do a simple search to be sure that what you are about to post is accurate. Musk provided the funding for Tesla and had to take over when the CEO proved hiimself inept and dishonest. He is identified as a co-founder because of the funding he provided to get a great idea going. He is the only reason anyone was able to get a roadster and everything after that is due to he driving force. Others were instrumental, but Elon was and is key to the success of the company.

If you have doubts about Elon's ability to lead the company, you should probably sell your shares because you will only find more reasons to be upset and frustrated going forward.

It's entirely accurate, though I'd say slinging "inept and dishonest" mud at Marc Tarpenning and Martin Eberhard is as unnecessary as it is untrue. But you are correct that it was more than Mr. Musk's money that brought Tesla to where it is today. It was his drive, his focus, his unconventional thinking. They brought tremendous value to the endeavor. His tweets? Not so much.
There was a showdown one day at the Pay Pal Corral where EM was asked to leave. He refers to that as "a palace coup." He agreed to go quietly in exchange for being kept on the books as a "founder." I'd suggest that it would be far better to solve EM's tweet problem now before history repeats itself.
Robin

Reactions: XHabjab
Most companies have social media policies that aim to limit impact of provocative tweets to their company. When a key resource in the company posts personal things and business things from the same account, the impact affects both. That is the issue. He needs to stop. He needs to focus on his vision and its execution. I am on my second Tesla. I want this company to succeed. I want Elon to continue backing/launching the kinds of companies he is. Just stop with the distractions.

When you hand a billion dollars to shorts with a tweet, when your tweets shift the focus away from building and delivering record numbers of EV's and onto you and your mental state, when you get into petty tweet storms over what? Nothing. I'd say it has a lot to do with Tesla's well being. To be clear, I don't for an instant think he should leave. But muzzled? Maybe.
Robin
None of that has any real effect on the company's well being, it's short term noise. Production lines aren't slowed because of his tweets. Creating and delivering compelling products is what matters.

@FirebirdAlpha
You disagreed with my post. Was not expecting any disagrees on my mention that what @alcibiades posted was horrible.

That encouraged me to have look at your profile and post history.

You are clearly a troll and Tesla / Elon hater here to troll and derail discussions.
TMC moderators should be less forgiving to posters like you and I hope TMC will block you from further posting so we can get a better forum.

upload_2018-8-29_10-50-15.png

Last edited:
He didn't participate in rescue efforts in any active way. He didn't initiate search efforts.
Thailand authorities and parents of kids did. They knew from the beginning that kids were in caves, because not all kids went there. Nevertheless Thailand authorities with the help of the army made full search in the area just "to be sure".
His interviews with the British diver team resulted in the wrong cave map.
Any official trial would lead to scrutiny of his actions and close attention of thailand authorities. It would be in pretty much in all senses suicidal for him.
He wouldn't be able to live there anymore, and he wouldn't earn money from trial.
It's beside some small possibility that Musk did some inquiries and used something beyond his famous "intuition" to write his tweet, which is of course is a real possibility.

What is your source for that?

I would agree that what you say makes a lot of sense. Those reasons alone are good enough to try and stay away from public eye.
That being said- why go against Elon in the first place?

What is your source for that?
British diver in Australian documentary mentioning that maps used by mass-media were very wrong, and that they had to remap everything "hard way" themselves.
These maps were drawn by this british expat. There are no official maps available.
Frustrations in the camp after thai diver's death. Let leave it there.
I would agree that what you say makes a lot of sense. Those reasons alone are good enough to try and stay away from public eye.
That being said- why go against Elon in the first place?
Because he is an idiot. He was in the middle of western mass-media attention in the area. His "achievements" and "importance" grew with every interview. Last interview probably was usual arranged hit piece.
Pretty much all interviews you see are structured or even scripted, and "interesting questions" are agreed in advance.

@FirebirdAlpha
You disagreed with my post. Was not expecting any disagrees on my mention that what @alcibiades posted was horrible.

I thought what @alcibiades posted was funny and ironic, and I disagree with you that it's "horrible."

There is equal evidence that Vern is a pedophile to Elon Musk being a pedophile.

That is to say... ZERO evidence. A baseless allegation on both sides.

If we're going to wonder "Is Vern a pedophile?" then it's equally valid to wonder "Is Elon a pedophile?"

None of that has any real effect on the company's well being, it's short term noise. Production lines aren't slowed because of his tweets. Creating and delivering compelling products is what matters.
The short term noise stirred up by Travis Kalanick wasn't beneficial to him, or to the company he founded. And now he's out. I expect there'd be plenty of corks popped in automotive and fossil fuel boardrooms if EM tweeted himself out of his job, too. That's why a leader's behavior counts. Not just the number of widgets rolled out the factory door.
Robin

BuzzFeed reporting that Vern has been preparing a civil complaint for over a month.

Other sources expand: his lawyer has already sent a list of demands, including monetary damages and an unconditional written appology posted to his Twitter.

It's a little weird that Elon would say "he hasn't sued me" when he clearly is going through the motions to do just that.

Mat Honan on Twitter

Wow, that's quite a leap. TK was a total scumbag, Elon tweets too much and is saving the planet.
The comparison resides a bit further down the tree than "was Kalanick a slimeball?" By many accounts he was. Or "is EM's mission to save the planet?" By many accounts, it is.
Here's the thing: serious problems happen when people in leadership positions believe their behavior no longer matters (see Leo X). Serious problems happen when leaders surround themselves by others who won't or can't call them on it. You'll find some of them here.
Behavior matters, always, whether it's President Bombafu busily eroding the presidency with his tweets, or EM undermining the legitimacy of the transition to sustainable transportation with his. Behavior matters, and it matters even more when your goals are high and noble.
Anyway, that's how it seems to me. Here's a quick video that strikes me as pertinent, fair, and also pretty true.
Robin

Last edited: