Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon tweets "no waypoints", "car will autonavigate to your destination."

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'll start by saying that I'm really happy to have waypoints (stops) in the navigation system. It will make it much easier to make side trips off the Supercharger network and make sure you have enough range to make it back to an Interstate to the next Supercharger location.

I installed 2021.40.6 on my 2018 Model 3 today and tried out the Add Stop feature. Seems to work fine as a first attempt. I'm assuming these features aren't (currently) available, but just wanting to make sure I didn't miss something.
  • Once a stop has been added to the current destination, the only way to remove it appears to be to set a new final destination and start adding other stops again
  • You are only allowed to add stops to the very beginning of the route. If your current destination includes a stop and a final destination, you can't add a new stop between the current stop and the final destination, that is, until you pass the first stop, at which point, you are adding the stop to the beginning of the current route
  • You are not allowed to reorder the stops if you have multiple stops entered in a route
  • If you don't click the continue trip button while near a stop, the navigation system will continue to try to navigate you back to the previous stop. The fix is to wipe the current route and add extra stops back into the route. I noticed this when driving past an intermediate stop; not one that I actually parked at and got out of the car at.
Just a couple limitations that I noticed on the first use. Not a huge deal and I can work around those if I know they really are limitations. I was just wanting to make sure I didn't miss something obvious with the button pushing during my trip tonight.

Those are the same limitations I have noticed. Once fixed, it will be a great system. Have never had a satnav without adjustable waypoints in any vehicle for the last 10 years.

Tried to explain to my wife how to enter in the route. Start the final destination and then work backwards. If you mess up or need to add, you have to start over. Lost her on "work backwards".

It is a start...

• Funny
Reactions: AustinP
I'll start by saying that I'm really happy to have waypoints (stops) in the navigation system. It will make it much easier to make side trips off the Supercharger network and make sure you have enough range to make it back to an Interstate to the next Supercharger location.

I installed 2021.40.6 on my 2018 Model 3 today and tried out the Add Stop feature. Seems to work fine as a first attempt. I'm assuming these features aren't (currently) available, but just wanting to make sure I didn't miss something.
  • Once a stop has been added to the current destination, the only way to remove it appears to be to set a new final destination and start adding other stops again
  • You are only allowed to add stops to the very beginning of the route. If your current destination includes a stop and a final destination, you can't add a new stop between the current stop and the final destination, that is, until you pass the first stop, at which point, you are adding the stop to the beginning of the current route
  • You are not allowed to reorder the stops if you have multiple stops entered in a route
  • If you don't click the continue trip button while near a stop, the navigation system will continue to try to navigate you back to the previous stop. The fix is to wipe the current route and add extra stops back into the route. I noticed this when driving past an intermediate stop; not one that I actually parked at and got out of the car at.
Just a couple limitations that I noticed on the first use. Not a huge deal and I can work around those if I know they really are limitations. I was just wanting to make sure I didn't miss something obvious with the button pushing during my trip tonight.

I knew they would not be able to provide something truly useful. They need to buy ABRP and use that. Put a decent browser in the car and it will just work!

And according to Tesla releases big holiday update with TikTok app, UI changes, and more, the latest firmware version (2021.44.25) includes the ability to edit waypoints

Edit Waypoints

Easily reorder or add multiple destinations to your route with updated arrival times. To add a stop, or edit a trip, initiate a navigation route, and tap the more options button on the turn list.

It's good to see Tesla is working on addressing the limitations of their first implementation of this capability.

Anxiously awaiting this update to be available for my vehicle...

Reactions: Hayseed_MS