Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon & Twitter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Can you explain why you think the $8 for the blue check is not inline with free speech? Can someone who is not paying the subscription and loses the blue check no longer speak freely on Twitter?

I hope Elon takes SMR's suggestion where one should be able to filter out free accounts from one's feed. It's a fantastic idea.
All animals are equal but some are more equal than others.

Amplifying the voices of those who pay while suppressing the voices of those who don't is antithetical to free speech. Besides, Elon should be careful about treading on the toes of the US election system which routinely uses this technique to give us the best government money can buy.

Can someone who is not paying the subscription and loses the blue check no longer speak freely on Twitter?
IIRC, blue subscribers will have their tweets made more visible than non-blue ones. So blue can speak freely but with far less (or no) reach.

If a tweet is posted and no one is around to read it, does it make a sound?

"No one is more of a slave than he who thinks himself free without being so"

Elon wants to charge Stephen King. If Stephen King is not a content creator then who is? Stephen said "they should pay me" to which Elon replied "how about [you only pay] $8?" It seems Elon disagrees with you.

SK has made dozens, perhaps hundreds of millions of dollars off his content. And he's complaining over the cost per month of something around a Starbucks trip per month?

That makes someone look bad, but it's not Elon.

SK has made dozens, perhaps hundreds of millions of dollars off his content. And he's complaining over the cost per month of something around a Starbucks trip per month?

Also, it's still free for him to be Stephen King on Twitter. But if he wants people to instantly recognize that he's THE Stephen King, it's the small monthly fee.

Honestly, I think a lot of this could have been avoided with better communication. Imagine if an official Twitter account made an announcement like, "We want to verify as many accounts as possible, but it takes a lot of staff time and resources to do so. In order to facilitate this undertaking, we're happy to announce that verification is now included as a part of Twitter Blue. The additional $3 per month we collect as a part of that service will enable us to verify people are who they say they are, eliminate automated traffic, and make Twitter a more authentic place for all of our users."

But instead, it's a relatively poorly communicated message from Elon directly. Of course he's going to get push-back doing it this way.

Would love to see your attribution math from Twitter --> sales for him. For a guy who has a net worth estimated at $500MM-$600MM, attributing anywhere from 2.5% to 50% of his net worth, which is not to be confused solely with sales proceeds, to Twitter seems to be an incredible stretch.

Reactions: advocate8
Would love to see your attribution math from Twitter --> sales for him. For a guy who has a net worth estimated at $500MM-$600MM, attributing anywhere from 2.5% to 50% of his net worth, which is not to be confused solely with sales proceeds, to Twitter seems to be an incredible stretch.

Huh? I wasn't attributing his sales to Twitter.

I was simply calling a multimillionaire a cheapskate. He probably borrows a friend's Netflix subscription.

Huh? I wasn't attributing his sales to Twitter.

I was simply calling a multimillionaire a cheapskate. He probably borrows a friend's Netflix subscription.
We were talking about Twitter content, so when you said "his content," I made the assumption you were participating in this thread.

I'm well off but I wouldn't spend $8 a month on Twitter, either. There are plenty of things I don't subscribe to, if I don't feel like they give me value. Not sure how that makes Stephen King a cheapskate - maybe he just doesn't see the value proposition.

We were talking about Twitter content, so when you said "his content," I made the assumption you were participating in this thread.

I'm well off but I wouldn't spend $8 a month on Twitter, either. There are plenty of things I don't subscribe to, if I don't feel like they give me value. Not sure how that makes Stephen King a cheapskate - maybe he just doesn't see the value proposition.

I'll spend $8/mo for my business Twitter account. It makes sense, it's a business expense for legit "advertising". I'm on the fence about a personal account (I don't have any social media accounts aside from a stale LinkedIn page, but I'm considering signing up for Twitter after I see what Musk does or does not do with the platform).

Part of Elon’s rationale is that Twitter provides cheap marketing to companies, governments, authors, celebrities, etc. $8 per month is more than reasonable for the reach Twitter provides.

Also, it's still free for him to be Stephen King on Twitter. But if he wants people to instantly recognize that he's THE Stephen King, it's the small monthly fee.

Honestly, I think a lot of this could have been avoided with better communication. Imagine if an official Twitter account made an announcement like, "We want to verify as many accounts as possible, but it takes a lot of staff time and resources to do so. In order to facilitate this undertaking, we're happy to announce that verification is now included as a part of Twitter Blue. The additional $3 per month we collect as a part of that service will enable us to verify people are who they say they are, eliminate automated traffic, and make Twitter a more authentic place for all of our users."

But instead, it's a relatively poorly communicated message from Elon directly. Of course he's going to get push-back doing it this way.
Easy solution.

Grandfather current verified users but issue them a red checkmark with a hammer and sickle to signify that they are freeloaders who only use their account to virtue signal, blue to signify they are contributing and active members.

Problem solved!

I'll spend $8/mo for my business Twitter account. It makes sense, it's a business expense for legit "advertising". I'm on the fence about a personal account (I don't have any social media accounts aside from a stale LinkedIn page, but I'm considering signing up for Twitter after I see what Musk does or does not do with the platform).
It's an interesting take, and it shows the push and pull between the platform and the high profile participants. In your case, I'm assuming it's an advertising benefit, where you're getting more out of the platform than you're giving it. Some of these higher profile people, like King perhaps or others, might feel that the scales are weighted differently. Whether it's true or not, they may feel that their presence on the platform gives the platform more value, and therefore it seems odd that they'd be paying to provide that benefit.

I'm not sure where that line is, but it sounds to me like King feels he's on the "giver" side of it.

It's an interesting take, and it shows the push and pull between the platform and the high profile participants. In your case, I'm assuming it's an advertising benefit, where you're getting more out of the platform than you're giving it. Some of these higher profile people, like King perhaps or others, might feel that the scales are weighted differently. Whether it's true or not, they may feel that their presence on the platform gives the platform more value, and therefore it seems odd that they'd be paying to provide that benefit.

I'm not sure where that line is, but it sounds to me like King feels he's on the "giver" side of it.

He may "feel" that way, but I would argue that Twitter is possibly the most effective way for him to reach his audience of fans. Far more effective than YT, Tiktok, IG, etc. He can still reach them without paying that $8/mo, that's optional, but I would view that in the current form, he's getting a lot more from the platform than he brings.

Now, if Vine (a Tiktok-like short video service) comes back to Twitter (which would be paid to creators - Elon said that yesterday), then I would argue that King could derive a lot more revenue than that $8 blue-tick fee.

Honestly, I think a lot of this is the rabid left hating Elon for becoming more moderate (his self-proclaimed position - I'm NOT here to argue that). The people attacking him post-Twitter take-over by all accounts appear to be of only one political persuasion, and they are not pulling any punches, they are mad as hell (and probably afraid as hell of next week).

Honestly, I think a lot of this is the rabid left hating Elon for becoming more moderate (his self-proclaimed position - I'm NOT here to argue that). The people attacking him post-Twitter take-over by all accounts appear to be of only one political persuasion, and they are not pulling any punches, they are mad as hell (and probably afraid as hell of next week).
Rabid, mad, afraid?

I think you’re living in a fantasy world. Few care that much. It’s a toxic platform that will hopefully improve, but might not. That’s about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.