Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon & Twitter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
There's no such thing as absolute free speech. The limit is where it infringes upon the fundamental rights of others.
Same goes for all freedoms. The difficulty is in figuring out (and more importantly, agreeing) where infringement begins. People burning ornamental fires in their fireplaces on the California Coast might think they have the freedom to do that, but it adversely affects asthmatics and other groups in the Central Valley. And then there are longer term and multi-layered effects like climate change, misinformation, algorithms drawing users into social media for longer and longer, etc.

It's why being an "absolutist" about anything is nonsense.

The “big gotcha” here for some users seems to be regarding “absolutism” in freedom of speech. Would anybody here really be complaining or acting like a smart ass if Elon said he wanted to make representation more equal on Twitter?

He just wants everybody to come over for punch and pie rather than the way it’s been the last few years where one side only gets punch and no pie. That’s it.

Don’t like it? Build (or buy) your own Twitter. ☺️

• Disagree
Reactions: dm33 and Beltsbear
The “big gotcha” here for some users seems to be regarding “absolutism” in freedom of speech. Would anybody here really be complaining or acting like a smart ass if Elon said he wanted to make representation more equal on Twitter?
If "more equal" means that Alex Jones gets to spew crap about Sandy Hook being a hoax and people who claim, without a shred of evidence, that there was "massive fraud" in the 2020 election get equal exposure as people with actual evidence to back up their claims, then yes, I would be complaining. Not because Elon's proposal is illegal (it's definitely not), but because it's just morally the wrong thing to do.

He just wants everybody to come over for punch and pie rather than the way it’s been the last few years where one side only gets punch and no pie. That’s it.
Nothing wrong with running liars who can't put up or shut up off the platform.

The “big gotcha” here for some users seems to be regarding “absolutism” in freedom of speech.
No, I think people are saying that's just one of the many foolish things he's said lately. I don't think it's a "gotcha" at any level. This thread is discussing opinions about Elon and Twitter - and people have them. Obviously members can have opinions without having to build their own platforms, become CEOs of electric car companies, or learn to fly rockets. Otherwise this site would have very few members.

If "more equal" means that Alex Jones gets to spew crap about Sandy Hook being a hoax and people who claim, without a shred of evidence, that there was "massive fraud" in the 2020 election get equal exposure as people with actual evidence to back up their claims, then yes, I would be complaining. Not because Elon's proposal is illegal (it's definitely not), but because it's just morally the wrong thing to do.

Nothing wrong with running liars who can't put up or shut up off the platform.
I try to bring it back to the center and you want to take it right back to extremes. Bait denied, Have a good day.

No, I think people are saying that's just one of the many foolish things he's said lately. I don't think it's a "gotcha" at any level. This thread is discussing opinions about Elon and Twitter - and people have them. Obviously members can have opinions without having to build their own platforms, become CEOs of electric car companies, or learn to fly rockets. Otherwise this site would have very few members.
I don’t think he should’ve said absolute free speech either when he really meant bringing balance to the platform which fosters discussions rather than division.

Of course, that’s a message that wouldn’t make anybody excited and Elon is a known hype man.

I felt discouraged after seeing the Baron interview because it showed how deep an information silo/echo chamber Elon has created for himself. For the first time since I unofficially joined the Elon Musk fan club, I feel embarrassed to be a member. Driving a Tesla and being seen driving a Tesla now, for the first time, create mixed feelings. I no longer have a counter when a relative says "we love Tesla but we hate Elon".
Exactly my feelings but it happened long before the twitter embarrassment. Not paying attention to service of Tesla customers was what turned me off. Would I buy a Tesla? Maybe, but maybe not. A lot depends on what kind of feedback I see on HVAC issues that I don't believe have been properly addressed so far.

Clearly marked parody is good. But when verification is a confirmation of identity, using it to impersonate without marking it as satire is identity theft.
I agree that morally, you should mark parody as such. But that doesn't mean that there are any legal requirements to do so. Legally, impersonating someone else isn't even a crime if it doesn't expose the impersonated person to civil or criminal liability or the impersonator doesn't gain anything of value from it (i.e. impersonating someone else simply for entertainment purposes isn't illegal). And Elon has already thrown out there that his version of "free speech absolutism" is basically anything that complies with the law. Which means...

Elon Musk Has No Plan For Content Moderation on Twitter​

This may be slightly out of date because Elon has said he is planning to create a system to pay creators but it still raises some interesting issues:
  • Moderation is social media's product. It's how they add value.
  • Elon promised to cut back moderation in favor of free speech
  • This puts Elon in a difficult position
For me it was bone-chilling to hear Elon in the Baron interview keep stressing he tried to get out of the Twitter deal. AFAIK, he didn't say that about Tesla, SpaceX, etc. You can learn a lot about people just by carefully listening to them.

You may hate this video or its source. You may greatly disagree with it. If so, I encourage you to venture out of your comfort zone if for no other reason than to know thy enemy.

Reactions: sleepydoc
That’s definitely a foot-in-mouth moment for everyone attacking Elon for not following labor regulations. They blame Elon for linking to an unproven theory, yet this FUD story was hook, line and sinker.
There really is a class action labor suit filed. What is alleged in the suit is, of course, unproven so far but that is the nature of all lawsuits when initially filed. So what is your claim exactly? Is it that this lawsuit is chock full of completely fake made-up B.S. like the article that Elon linked to was? If so, can you specifically point out which things in this court filing are the made-up B.S. and how you know that the facts are otherwise?

• Funny
Reactions: ElectricIAC
Clearly marked parody is good. But when verification is a confirmation of identity, using it to impersonate without marking it as satire is identity theft. And then on top of that, making false and defamatory statements is liable.

There's no such thing as absolute free speech. The limit is where it infringes upon the fundamental rights of others.

You must be very bad with math. Twitter has millions of active users. You cannot make that assumption.

Hundreds of millions of users worldwide . Around 200-300 million to be more specific.

Last edited:
Reactions: sleepydoc
Getting tired of people claiming that these companies are exercising their free speech.

Yes, companies boycotting Twitter out of free will is free speech.

Yes, activist groups boycotting Twitter is free speech.

No, activist groups pressuring companies to boycott Twitter is not free speech. On the contrary, it’s limiting those company’s free speech.
Please stop spewing nonsense! Consider me an activist "group" of 1. I am pressuring you (with this very message) to stop spewing nonsense. Now explain to everyone how my pressure has limited your free speech.

Please stop spewing nonsense! Consider me an activist "group" of 1. I am pressuring you (with this very message) to stop spewing nonsense. Now explain to everyone how my pressure has limited your free speech.

It's sad to watch the team-free-speech crowd insist that they love free speech... except for that obvious piece of it over there that's annoying to their personal politics.

A group of people voicing protest and asking corps to boycott something they disagree with IS FREE SPEECH just like the rest of it.

If you want to get the advertiser back on Twitter, quit being a total jerk, stop ranting and threatening said advertisers and take ACTION to address what they've already said is their number one concern: A stable, non-devisive, non-hate-filled environment upon which to show their brand with management they can count on to KEEP it that way.

Status
Not open for further replies.