Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon & Twitter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I was referring to more server-side stuff

So was I.

Where, exactly, do you think the service that generates and sends out 2FA codes is running if not server-side?

Further- if you know your new company is poorly documented, and that you might badly break things just randomly turning things off without understanding what they do, perhaps wholesale firing of huge #s of people who might be able to document or explain it is not the best plan?

So was I.

Where, exactly, do you think the service that generates and sends out 2FA codes is running if not server-side?

Further- if you know your new company is poorly documented, and that you might badly break things just randomly turning things off without understanding what they do, perhaps wholesale firing of huge #s of people who might be able to document or explain it is not the best plan?

We all know you insist on having the last word so I'm going to post this, and then ignore any follow up by you regarding this subject. I don't have the time to get into one of your back-and-forth minutiae arguments.

It's CLEAR that the Twitter CODE itself made TWO (or more) calls to the 2FA system, and only one got disabled (hence the problem). That's Twitter CODE, not the 2FA (3rd party most likely) server module. Nuanced, perhaps, but one is under the control of Twitter's devs, the other is just something loaded up onto the server to accept calls from Twitter's code.

We can agree that Elon should have not wholesale fired everyone that knew about the code, but there is also serious doubts about how helpful anyone that remained behind would have been.

...if you know your new company is poorly documented, and that you might badly break things just randomly turning things off without understanding what they do, perhaps wholesale firing of huge #s of people who might be able to document or explain it is not the best plan?
That's one way to find out how something works: smash it into tiny pieces and see if you can put it back together again.

--Humpty Dumpty.

You know the answer. We ALL know the answer. Two weeks.
4ECB7AF0-E7DB-4432-9C2D-EFB9CEB7EA76.gif

We all know you insist on having the last word so I'm going to post this, and then ignore any follow up by you regarding this subject. I don't have the time to get into one of your back-and-forth minutiae arguments.

It's CLEAR that the Twitter CODE itself made TWO (or more) calls to the 2FA system, and only one got disabled (hence the problem). That's Twitter CODE, not the 2FA (3rd party most likely) server module. Nuanced, perhaps, but one is under the control of Twitter's devs, the other is just something loaded up onto the server to accept calls from Twitter's code.

We can agree that Elon should have not wholesale fired everyone that knew about the code, but there is also serious doubts about how helpful anyone that remained behind would have been.

That's a lot of typing that effectively says nothing :)

Elon on the other hand was much more clear-- he turned off SERVICES... that were running on the server side

One of which was the one that sends out 2FA codes.

Thus breaking 2FA for users.

Which if he'd bothered to find out WHY a service was running before turning it off server side would not have happened.

You appear to also be operating as he did, making assumptions about how things work without checking first.

It's CERTAINLY possible the service in question was poorly documented.

But turning off things when you're unsure what they do is terrible practice.

Doubtless there's poorly labeled things you CAN get rid of. But there's almost certainly ones you can't- and until you're sure of the difference turning ANY of them off is likely to break things in an important way.

Which is exactly what happened.

That's one way to find out how something works: smash it into tiny pieces and see if you can put it back together again.

--Humpty Dumpty.

Sure.

But in a normal company you do that in a test environment- not in production.

Now if you tell me Twitter doesn't HAVE a useful test environment, I wouldn't even be shocked.

But if they've decided to not bother to build one NOW and just keep randomly trying changes in production first, that's...not great.

Sure.

But in a normal company you do that in a test environment- not in production.

Now if you tell me Twitter doesn't HAVE a useful test environment, I wouldn't even be shocked.

But if they've decided to not bother to build one NOW and just keep randomly trying changes in production first, that's...not great.
If there's anything we can agree on, it's that Elon Musk isn't "normal"! :D

Well, there you go.

Job #1, before caring how much anybody was spending on lunches should be BUILD A GD TEST ENVIORNMENT SO WE ARE NOT TESTING IN PRODUCTION.

With the added benefit that you can't have something important and user facing fail because one rando developer (or the CEO) decides to "see what this button does"

Last time I checked, usually bosses doesn't like to hear excuses, they just want results.
In this case Elon was saying it's because of "X" and employees were saying he was wrong. A good boss, or any person interested in knowledge, should be interested in facts. In the past Elon has claimed to be that type of person.

Hard to think of a better way to get media attention than buying Twitter. The drama continues.
Now I am seeing twitter hitting profitability in under a year trimming off all these type of workers.

I mean twitter is the only major ad based social media platform left having the hardest time hitting constant profitability. And all these employees are all high and mighty acting like it's a badge of honor.

In this case Elon was saying it's because of "X" and employees were saying he was wrong. A good boss, or any person interested in knowledge, should be interested in facts. In the past Elon has claimed to be that type of person.
If the employees are so sure they know what the problem is, why isn't it fixed? That's why Musk asked the follow up, why isn't it fixed?

Now I am seeing twitter hitting profitability in under a year trimming off all these type of workers.

I mean twitter is the only major ad based social media platform left having the hardest time hitting constant profitability. And all these employees are all high and mighty acting like it's a badge of honor.

In my experience, employees who are willing to speak up tend to be the smarter better informed ones.

You will never hear from the lazy and incompetent staff - they do not want any light shined on themselves.

In my experience, employees who are willing to speak up tend to be the smarter better informed ones.

You will never hear from the lazy and incompetent staff - they do not want any light shined on themselves.
Depends, speaking up with a possible solution is constructive. Telling your boss to go F himself because he doesn't know what is talking about are arrogant people that needs to go.

While I'm sure that's got plenty of truth in it, there are also a lot of quiet staff who are the real experts and get no acknowledgement or empowerment. Against the Rules had a neat episode on it, for those of you who listen to podcasts - you might enjoy.

Status
Not open for further replies.