Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon & Twitter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
All true. With just the caveat that Biden was responding to a direct question from a reporter. In essence he was prodded to respond to a topic he didn’t seem that interested in.
And the fact of the matter is, it would be a breach of duty if some part of the federal government -- a MINOR office of DOJ maybe -- didn’t at least take 30 minutes to Google, check a database or two or make a few calls after Elon pulled that Lucy/football stunt with Starlink and Ukraine. But no one in federal government appeared to think there actually was a large chance of improper foreign ties...probably including Biden. They didn’t seem to give it any serious consideration or put any effort into it. But Biden was braced with that question in an unrelated news conference and he had to answer it truthfully and that was the end of it.
But yeah, if they had gone after him without any proof of a serious issue? straight up McCarthy.
And Yellen shortly after the press conference said no need to explore further.

The same one who said inflation was a “small risk”?

While I've argued in the past that for some things people shouldn't be defined as the sum of things in some aspects (i.e. 2 things right and 1 things wrong, so therefore 1 on the "right" score), responding with "yea but she got this wrong (from your viewpoint)" I do not think is a valid argument and to a degree we should look to the sum of things. Otherwise one can pull out the multitude of statements that Elon made about FSD in the past and the timelines and say "see? therefore Elon is wrong". And I know how much you would hate that. Same with anyone digging through your post history and pulling out something that you may have gotten wrong, and trying to checkmate you with that.

On balance I think one should look at the individual event and the person has a whole. How each should be weighed is of course up for debate but depends on the circumstances and such.

This is not about free speech. Anyone who claims that is clearly delusional, or just maliciously ignoring reality.

It is about:

1. way overpay for a turkey of a social media company
2. try to piss off liberals while preening and pretending to be a “centrist”
3. piss of advertisers who might get you out of the yawning debt chasm
4. believe that what you have done in the past at Tesla and SpaceX should work here, because..” hey, I’m the worlds richest man. I know how to make things work, okay?”
5. try desperately to increase traffic by inviting DJT (ton of common sense in that decision) to join twitter
6. lie through his teeth to TSLA shareholders that Twitter won’t take too much of his time (yeah, right!)
7. lie about living in a tiny shack, as if anyone other than Elon-bots would believe that

Elon used to be good. Believing in missions. Making the impossible possible. Now? He is a giant douche.

I’m just here for gossip about Twitter. TSLA investor civil war is getting boring.

Looks like “free speech” is back on the menu. Elon really does not like advertisers. This is going to make it much harder to make money in the short term.
Did the same groups who supposedly agreed to not pull advertising on this condition directly control the vast majority of Twitter advertising (which presumably is mostly corporate ads for companies that sell products)? It would be interesting to see any emails or conversations on how this "deal" was brokered.

The gist I got was a bulk of lost revenue were companies pausing ads to wait to see how things would shake down at Twitter. I would be fairly surprised if a group of those companies banded together and agreed to continue advertising while the Council was still being set up. It would make more sense to pull advertising until the council was already set up and there is some assurance that there would be some people other than Elon that makes ultimate judgement about content. If Elon actually went through with the promises, it would show he at least would stick to his word, and they would put advertising back.

Last edited:
Did the same groups who supposedly agreed to not pull advertising on this condition directly control the vast majority of Twitter advertising (which presumably is mostly corporate ads for companies that sell products)? It would be interesting to see any emails or conversations on how this "deal" was brokered.

The gist I got was a bulk of lost revenue were companies pausing ads to wait to see how things would shake down at Twitter. I would be fairly surprised if a group of those companies banded together and agreed to continue advertising while the Council was still being set up. It would make more sense to pull advertising until the council was already set up and there is some assurance that there would be some people other than Elon that makes ultimate judgement about content. If Elon actually went through with the promises, it would show he at least would stick to his word, and they would put advertising back.
If "a large coalition of activist groups" that actually acted as a coalition existed then the US would be a far different place.

Where would one send notice to this coalition? The advertisers are not the "coalition" come on - the advertisers want places to advertise as long as the ads work. So what Musk must mean is some other group who puts pressure on advertisers? I mean, I like what Musk has done, but Twitter seems to be his weak point. That tweet is not possibly accurate, and its not like Musk is some dude living in his parent's bedroom who can just say whatever the F they want.

Musk could easily ride out the actions of "the large coalition" since he exists and "the large coalition" is some Fox news fantasy, but that would require actually thinking before one tweets, and he obviously does not want to do that.

Did the same groups who supposedly agreed to not pull advertising

would be fairly surprised if a group of those companies banded together and agreed to continue advertising while the Council was still being set up
This is not what Elon said happened. He didn’t say anything about companies agreeing to this arrangement. The agreement was alleged to be with groups who did not control the advertising.

“Political/social acitvist groups”

I think all this stuff about free speech is silly. There’s no reason to have free speech at this privately held company or a publicly held company. Just doesn’t really apply except in narrowly tailored circumstances. But that has been covered here and I don’t really care. Elon can decide and live with the consequences.

Just hoping that whatever comes of this Twitter won’t suck.

And I don’t currently see a product that people would pay for. Happy to continue using it for free while I doomscroll past a few ads.

Just give me my NWS and USGS content, and Caltrans content. Please! That stuff is the best. It’s amazing how US government agency stuff is of such high quality. Really remarkable; best in the world. Riveting.

I know of major earthquakes anywhere in the world in just seconds (ok, maybe a minute or two). What a time to be alive.

Last edited:
Have you ever heard the phrase “The customer is always right”?
Advertisers are Twitter’s customers. Or at least they were, it will be interesting to see if subscriptions can make up for lost revenue.
Consumers then become the customers. Consumers have to see value.

Thinking, rational people don’t like to see extreme opinions, conspiracies, hate speech, anti-democracy opinions, and racism. Do you think this group will want to actually pay to be on Twitter.

Others will flock to their comrades online. These might pay, but then, how many are there? Has there been any sort of due diligence conducted by ‘ Captain Asperger’s ‘ beforehand?

At the rate of approx $1B per year out of his own fortune to maintain Twitter May not sound that bad. Until you consider what effect it starts to have on TSLA, his main (and only) piggy bank.

Whats the exit strategy? 😌

Status
Not open for further replies.