Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon & Twitter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Although the titles of the articles I’m posting are similar, they contain different information.

Elon Musk starts banning critical journalists from Twitter

Choice excerpts:

The Washington Post’s Harwell asked Musk how Musk’s decision to ban accounts sharing the other ElonJet sites — as well as journalists reporting on the incident — was different from Twitter’s earlier treatment of a New York Post story about a laptop containing Hunter Biden’s personal information. In 2020, Twitter made a moderation decision to block links to The New York Post story.

Details on that moderation decision were released on Twitter earlier this month — with Musk’s support. (In April, he tweeted that suspending The New York Post’s account because of the story “was obviously incredibly inappropriate.) Musk even teased the release of the information by saying, “This will be awesome” and tweeting popcorn emoji. In the course of the release, Twitter co-founder Jack Dorsey’s email address was revealed.

In a tweet earlier in the evening, Musk said of the bans: “They posted my exact real-time location, basically assassination coordinates, in (obvious) direct violation of Twitter terms of service” he said. The ElonJet account in the links he objected to automatically shares publicly available information on the flight path for Elon Musk’s private jet. (It does not list the passenger manifest.)

Accounts like ElonJet —and the similarly suspended CelebJet and RUOligarchJets — are frequently used by climate activists to highlight the egregious effect private jets have on the environment. Musk, Kylie Jenner, Kim Kardashian, and Taylor Swift have all come under fire this year for using jets when alternative means of transportation could be used with less deleterious effects on the environment.
….
It also appears that Twitter is not letting people post links to some instances of the competing decentralized social network Mastodon. Specifically, our tests showed an error saying “we can’t complete this request because this link has been identified by Twitter or our partners as being potentially harmful” when trying to tweet links to Mastodon.social, Mastodon.lol, Mastodon.xyz, Mastodon.au, Mastodon.ie, Mastodon.scot, Mastodonapp.uk, Mastodon.world, and others. Earlier today, Mastodon’s Twitter account was suspended after it tweeted a link to the ElonJet Mastodon account.

Just a matter of time before "The Child" suspends someone for posting a link to www.google.com because you can use that to find out where Elon's plane is.

Also my understanding is some of them, not all of them, posted links or images to other places you could search for Elon's plane, or have a real time tracker of the plane. This is not the same as posting "his exact real time location". Its not like someone posted that Elon was just removed from the House Chambers while Twitter was under attack. My understanding was that in fact the plane was in Austin and Elon in San Francisco.

Last edited:
Smh….. this dude is like a 12 year old

There is some talk (even before this week) that Elon is purposely destroying Twitter now to lower the cost of the debt owed to be far less so he can buy it back on the cheap. Makes logical sense to me.

He mentioned bankruptcy talks day 1 as well so for all we know, this is all part of the plan to tank the company, close all old debts for pennies threatening bankruptcy or else, etc...then turn it around after a cleaner balance sheet/equation.

Sad thing is a lot of people's lives were affected by this. As great as tech salaries are, cost of housing is insane in the bay area and some folks probably weren't the early staff with low cost options, etc.

If reports are true of non-bill payments, not paying severance, I don't see how other businesses would want to do business with Twitter at all outside of 100% paid nor why people would want to work for Twitter if this is their operating model. It's not like he can't afford to pay the bills vs. a common tech engineer.

It's one thing to love the guy, but if your own survival was at risk, hard to sign on board with how things are going and what he has done so far.

Just because it’s legal to post the information doesn’t mean it isn’t a dick move after Elon asked the guy to stop the first time.

I think this was all brought on by Elon himself. We'll see how all the lawsuits play out since that's the only way here to force his hand, but I don't think people would be suing him for severance if he just had some compassion (yeah, he's autistic so he can't help it) and just pay what was promised.

Sorta like if you act like a dick, expect others to respond in kind.

I don't know why people defend Elon's actions when he's quite a bad offender himself. Elon has tons of influence/power and we all know the amount of nut jobs we have in the world. Elon sicking his hundreds of millions of followers on anyone is far more harmful that 1 19 year old kid tracking his jet.

Elon is just a rich/powerful bully IMO. He can't take criticism so cries like a 12 year old, but has no issues with tweeting/hinting tongue in cheek things which might be a joke 30 years ago, but can have violent consequences in these times.

Mastodon this morning:

“Public Service Warning

Mastodon has a very big surge of new users right now. There's no way to tell if it will be sustained, but at this early point it looks similar to Nov 18 when Musk pulled the employee purge. 
It is very challenging for system administration to accommodate so many new users. If your server starts to struggle, it is not broken and will get sorted out.
We're all in this together. It's our social network. Be patient. What we are building is amazing.
#twittermigration”

i guess this also resolves the question if there will be more twitter "files" and the reception of those...

"they banned Trump after bending their rules!!! scandal !" "They blocked accounts for merely linking to NY POST laptop story !! scandal !"

but also:

"let's ban / block accounts for merely linking to ElonsJet"

"let's make up arbitrary "doxxing" rules and apply them very unevenly to ban people"

lol ... hint: it NEVER was about free speech. It was just about free speech Elon happens to agree with. Can't wait for "Elon files" when twitter changes ownership.

Yeah I don't know what this guy thinks the government can or should do. Twitter is not a monopoly.
Congress has obviously nothing to do with this and deleting tweets and links to ElonsJet isn't a 1A issue. But neither is deleting tweets and links to Hunter Bidens NYPost story. Twitter as a private / public company can set their own rules... ironically both sides seem to forget that but "Elon's side" and his new friends are already announcing congressional hearing desires about twitters handling of Hunters laptop stories... so maybe add this episode of banning journalists to the hearing while you're at it ;)

True.

I think he should have stuck to his guns and not posted a poll to show he means business.

He’s waffling on this like Voldemort would. 😑
My first LIKE!
Excellent reply.

sorry couldn´t resist ,
in Elons words "oh the irony"
Bildschirmfoto 2022-12-16 um 16.36.04.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: ElectricIAC
Status
Not open for further replies.