Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon & Twitter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This sunlight analogy is hogwash. Giving someone like Tate a megaphone to reach millions NORMALIZES corrosive behavior and attitudes.
Lots of platforms give people like that megaphones. Platforms like Parler, Truth Social, Gab, etc. The solution is for everyone who doesn't agree with giving people like Tate a megaphone to treat Twitter the same as those and quit the platform.

Why do government agencies still have official accounts on Twitter? I do not understand why the National Weather Service needs to tweet information about the weather, for example. NWS has its own website that it uses to disseminate information. Same with Caltrans, the DMV, etc.

• Funny
Reactions: ElectricIAC
Lots of platforms give people like that megaphones. Platforms like Parler, Truth Social, Gab, etc. The solution is for everyone who doesn't agree with giving people like Tate a megaphone to treat Twitter the same as those and quit the platform.
Fair enough, and that may be under way already. But he was barred, and needed to be from any sane platform. The more mainstream the platform, the greatest the normalizing effect.

Elon is working towards a self policing Twitter. It will be good for most. You simply won't see anything from the far left or right unless you follow them.

Are there any Twitter users that you feel is getting an outsized voice outside of their echo chamber?
Of course the problem with that, even if that's the direction that Twitter eventually goes, is that a lot of people follow Elon for updates about Tesla. But unless they unfollow him, they're going to get a bunch of far right wing crap in their feeds.

Are there any Twitter users that you feel is getting an outsized voice outside of their echo chamber?
Absolutely. All the far right trash that Elon is disingenuously responding to. Plus Medvedev! Along with the propagandists he's handing a megaphone, e.g. Greenwald, Taibbi, Weiss, and other "Twitter Files" imbeciles. The "reach" of conspiracy theorists on Twitter has expanded enormously under the Musk regime.

Elon is working towards a self policing Twitter. It will be good for most. You simply won't see anything from the far left or right unless you follow them.

Yes ever since Elon took over I'm seeing extreme alt right loonies in my feed who were never there before. Also seeing them in Elon's replies and likes, so I'd have to block Elon to avoid many of them.

Inviting him back certainly hasn't helped him. He seems to think that he has more to lose by returning which is a pretty good place for us all to be.
Only because he knows, or his backers know, that Truth Social will crash if he goes back on Twitter. 50/50 chance he gets desperate and goes back on Twitter at some point to feed his grift machine, Truth Social investors be damned.

Of course the problem with that, even if that's the direction that Twitter eventually goes, is that a lot of people follow Elon for updates about Tesla. But unless they unfollow him, they're going to get a bunch of far right wing crap in their feeds.
I'd not heard of Tate and Cheung till now, and had only a very vague notion of who KimdotCom is. I'd never even listened to Kanye, ever. To think that following Elon has led me to become familiar with all these loathsome or at least very troubled characters with racist views, well...

That's kinda strange given that the things he's doing are to actively personally bring BACK various extremists who were already banned for violating very basic terms of service, and he's also personally amplifying their work by retweeting it...

Her sure doesn't seem at ALL interested in getting rid of or suppressing extremism.

Yes ever since Elon took over I'm seeing extreme alt right loonies in my feed who were never there before. Also seeing them in Elon's replies and likes, so I'd have to block Elon to avoid many of them.

Exactly. Elon is personally, actively pushing extremists into the mainstream. This nonsense about a beautiful centrist town hall is.... nonsense

AP and NoA was a lot more trustworthy when I bought the MX.

FSDb makes for some cool graphics but letting it drive is scary.
Just letting AP drive is scary. It doesn't even do common sense lanekeeping. With plenty of shoulder space on the left, a road curving to the left, and a vehicle in the lane to the right, any human driver with common sense will keep toward the left side of the lane. But autopilot? Nope. And the car came uncomfortably close to the vehicle on the right; it's not so evident from the video because of the wide-angle lens on the dashcam. I turned AP on to see how it would handle driving in the tunnel, which it did fine, but it almost immediately did something stupid after leaving the tunnel.

There is an enormous leap from "some people chose to wear masks in some situations and I see them" to "we demand permanent mandatory masking of the entire human race"....

Or are you going to argue in favor of -forbidding- anyone from wearing a mask? That's as bad as a forever-mandate to wear them.
Actually, you are the one with the enormous leap due to your own unclear wording.

You asked, "Does anyone think that Elon actually believes people want endless masking..." You did not specify that you meant "people" = the entire human race.

Actually, you are the one with the enormous leap due to your own unclear wording.

You asked, "Does anyone think that Elon actually believes people want endless masking..." You did not specify that you meant "people" = the entire human race.

Sorry you were unable to understand it. Elon was re-tweeting claims that the liberals want to force masks on _everyone_ forever. I figured that context was sufficient.

Why do government agencies still have official accounts on Twitter? I do not understand why the National Weather Service needs to tweet information about the weather, for example. NWS has its own website that it uses to disseminate information. Same with Caltrans, the DMV, etc.

The problem is the sudden changes that's occurring in less than what, 2-3 months? This is sorta like if you were at a job which required 40 hours a week originally, but now, you're expected to work 80 and live there, no benefits, no time off, no healthcare, no trash service, etc. You didn't sign up for that or you wouldn't have taken the job to begin with.

I think if people knew Twitter would end up like this, they wouldn't have even started/bothered, but I don't think it's a stretch to say it wasn't like this a few months ago.

We'll see what happens in 5 years or something, but these things take time for other companies, government, NWS, etc and industries to adjust, look for alternatives, or even build completely new alternatives. There is also "hope" that it'll not be like this or a free for all, but it's only been a few months and things look to be changing rapidly.

Unlike a tech physical product where you are trying to test/debug/fix stuff, social media doesn't really work like that I feel.

Tech has for a while been a winner takes all type of market where big buys small to get rid of competition, etc...There just aren't any great alternatives which has the global reach of Twitter, at least not yet.

I don't think we should be slamming all these governments for using something which is a good megaphone for news/critical updates, etc...Twitter was a central place for information that people can follow so you don't have to check 20 other government sites, etc...

• Funny
Reactions: ElectricIAC
Status
Not open for further replies.