Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon & Twitter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Watched that, and what I get from all that is . . . Twitter employees have WAY too much time on their hands worrying about Elon's political stance on various things and candidates/politicians.

There's a TON of fat to trim at the company.

EDIT - and another thing I took from that . . . the people GEUNINELY believe that it is not only their JOB, but their RIGHT to censor what people say (think). Very Orwellian (which I would be 100 TSLA shares the majority of them have never actually read 1984).

Watched that, and what I get from all that is . . . Twitter employees have WAY too much time on their hands worrying about Elon's political stance on various things and candidates/politicians.

It seems quite clear that Elon was expressing his political stances repeatedly, why would you not expect people to comment on what he was saying?
EDIT - and another thing I took from that . . . the people GEUNINELY believe that it is not only their JOB, but their RIGHT to censor what people say (think). Very Orwellian (which I would be 100 TSLA shares the majority of them have never actually read 1984).
I only saw a small percentage of comments which might suggest that.

Whenever I think of free speech I think of China as the shining example...
I, for one, welcome our new dystopian overlord.
And the biased moderation currently being carried out by US social media companies is different from China, how???

There's nothing wrong with acknowledging and adapting the good aspect of a product from China while at the same time avoiding its shortcomings, especially given the US is not doing much better in this case anyway. After all Tesla itself is buying LFP batteries and electronics from China, and let's not forget they have a gigafactory in Shanghai.

BTW, Wechat is not the only social media app in China, there's also Weibo, Douyin, Bilibili, and some products from Tencent, the list is pretty long.

What really shocked me about that Slack feed was how comfortable so many employees were with sharing their political views and with badmouthing the likely future owner of the company on the company's own Slack channel. It's expected to have that kind of thing in private and social settings. But I cannot imagine employees at my company posting that kind of unprofessional garbage to our company Slack channels.

And the biased moderation currently being carried out by US social media companies is different from China, how???

There's nothing wrong with acknowledging and adapting the good aspect of a product from China while at the same time avoiding its shortcomings, especially given the US is not doing much better in this case anyway. After all Tesla itself is buying LFP batteries and electronics from China, and let's not forget they have a gigafactory in Shanghai.

BTW, Wechat is not the only social media app in China, there's also Weibo, Douyin, Bilibili, and some products from Tencent, the list is pretty long.
The US IS doing quite a better better than China in this regard. The obvious vast difference is in state control and the amount of filtering that goes on vs the private companies in the US doing things there way and customers being free to move on because if they really really really want to foam at the mouth with racist hogwash and rant about communists and replacement theory and imaginary election problems they absolutely can find dozens of places to do so. And then there are platforms where sane people can go and not feel like they have to have that shoved in their face for no reason.
There’s no comparison. If you know anything at all about China and the censoring and self-censoring for self preservation that goes on there you should know these things aren’t even faintly comparable.

Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
What really shocked me about that Slack feed was how comfortable so many employees were with sharing their political views and with badmouthing the likely future owner of the company on the company's own Slack channel. It's expected to have that kind of thing in private and social settings. But I cannot imagine employees at my company posting that kind of unprofessional garbage to our company Slack channels.
Right, they should not be allowed to share their opinions freely. Right? 😁😁😁

And you guys claim to support the more freedom Twitter is expected to allow under Elon! 😊😊😊

The irony!!

Right, they should not be allowed to share their opinions freely. Right? 😁😁😁

And you guys claim to support the more freedom Twitter is expected to allow under Elon! 😊😊😊

The irony!!

You guys obviously have never run a business.

My employees can share there opinions freely . . . but NOT on company time or dime. They do so, they are fired, period.

If my employees were doing this in the company slack channel, they would be GONE. On their own time, doesn't interfere with their job, I don't care, at all.

My employees can share there opinions freely . . . but NOT on company time or dime. They do so, they are fired, period.

If my employees were doing this in the company slack channel, they would be GONE. On their own time, doesn't interfere with their job, I don't care, at all.
By the comments here and the main thread, there is a VAST divergence of people who own or run their own companies and have to actually deal with this.....
And the arm chair quarterbacks who are using hopium to inspire their version of a workplace... that wouldn't function well... let alone make a profit.

By the comments here and the main thread, there is a VAST divergence of people who own or run their own companies and have to actually deal with this.....
And the arm chair quarterbacks who are using hopium to inspire their version of a workplace... that wouldn't function well... let alone make a profit.

Yep. I just last week canned a couple employees for being a "disruptive influence" in the company. They continued to try to undermine their peers with passive-aggressive actions and confrontational attitudes. Both quickly got their walking papers.

I owned my own business and retired at 40 from it. We had a ton of fun and enjoyed loads of arguments about our differing opinions. My employees constantly pushed back on me because I was a workaholic maniac and expected similar from them. I'm glad they did because I'd have a lot of self-judgement today if I'd expected them to work as hard as they did and be unable to express themselves freely. That's a seriously miserable environment from my perspective.

Some people here aren't going to like the above response, but it is the definitive answer to the assertion that employees have the right to unfettered free speech. That said, there are extenuating circumstances regarding Elon Musk's purchase of Twitter. My guess is that those Twitter employees have already decided to work elsewhere and this protest was a last ditch effort to scuttle the deal. Or maybe a subset of these employees feel that they can't be fired. I supervised a few people like that. Some were correct because they could game the system. Others were so vital to the organization that terminating them would have been a far worse outcome than ignoring any outbursts.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.