Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon & Twitter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I aced stats, I'm going to let you do your homework and figure out how a sample size of 100 out of hundreds of millions, with a human choice bias, cannot be statistically significant. 🤔😉
Ok I see the confusion. They report the mDAU's quarterly and do 9,000 samples per quarter (100 a day). I've removed my disagree.

Still curious about the non-random sample claim though.

Reactions: AlanSubie4Life

385 is the minimum DAILY, RANDOM users to be surveyed for a 95% confidence. This is based on a user count of 330mil users, as a quick Google search came up with.

All applicable formulas are at that link.

You guys forgot how to Google simple stuff like that?

EDIT - hopping on a red-eye. You are on your own from here on out kids.

385 is the minimum DAILY, RANDOM users to be surveyed for a 95% confidence. This is based on a user count of 330mil users, as a quick Google search came up with.

Twitter claims 9000 samples per quarter for a metric reported quarterly. Elon was the one who claimed 100! (FUD! No one likes FUD!)

The values (and the answer) were already filled in in the prior link, BTW.

Last edited:

Even if they were reporting it daily (they actually report quarterly) you used the calculator wrong. The actual confidence interval is dependent on the population proportion (you used 50%, the worst case). Also, the number of users is basically irrelevant, margin of error in the example below is 0.43% with 100k population size (which is why Elon's talking point about the sample being 0.0000000000whatever percent of users makes me doubt his understanding of sampling statistics).

1658287581568.png

Last edited:
  • Informative
My point is that Twitter is already doing what you suggested they should do to detect bots, using "tangible, measurable, repeatable criteria that don't rely on human judgement".
Are you saying they should just stop there and not try to estimate how many bots they fail to detect? Obviously if there's a method that doesn't rely on human judgement they can just add it to the automated bot removal.

Still waiting on @bkp_duke to calculate that confidence interval and provide support for his claim that the sample of mDAU's is non-random.

Again, what you are showing is that Twitter is auto-removing SOME of the bots each day.

But what we are discussing is their filing with the SEC about how many they MISS and are included in their reported DAU's. Twitter is not monetized or valued based on the million bots they dismiss each day - all companies deal with garbage signups. What matters is the number of supposedly active USERS they claim to have - which needs to be reduced by any non-humans in there. Twitter has a long tradition of not doing any form of deep analysis on the topic - instead they have a team of humans that looks at a very small sample and magically pronounces 95% of it "good". That process is deeply riddled with potential bias, which is why I was suggesting they consider something better.

Reactions: bkp_duke
Twitter reported 229 million users in the mDAU metric last quarter, not 330 million, which is the monthly active user number.

I also aced engineering stats, and did it drunk. Literally. I took the final after an all night bender, went straight to class from the party at 8am and got 100%. Not bragging, just saying maybe it's not entirely still with me, so this might not be exactly correct:

These confidence interval measurement calculators are for finding a single sample that is representative (95% of the samples will contain the mean, IIRC) using the Central Limit Theorem. But they do not reflect repeated sampling of the same (or at least statistically identical) populations. Taking a random sample of 100 per day adds up to 385 (or whatever number matters) in just a few days. Assuming a statistically stable mDAU population, everything past that date just creates a statistically valid rolling average, does it not?

I understand the confound here, which is that the random sample could also theoretically resample the same users on consecutive days. But I think the percentages are such that it's equivalent to a research firm doing a survey and calling 100 people a day until they get their minimum sample size on day X.

Again, what you are showing is that Twitter is auto-removing SOME of the bots each day.

But what we are discussing is their filing with the SEC about how many they MISS and are included in their reported DAU's. Twitter is not monetized or valued based on the million bots they dismiss each day - all companies deal with garbage signups. What matters is the number of supposedly active USERS they claim to have - which needs to be reduced by any non-humans in there. Twitter has a long tradition of not doing any form of deep analysis on the topic - instead they have a team of humans that looks at a very small sample and magically pronounces 95% of it "good". That process is deeply riddled with potential bias, which is why I was suggesting they consider something better.
But you haven't actually suggested what would be better!
By your logic Twitter could claim 0% of their mDAUs are bots because they've used "tangible, measurable, repeatable criteria that don't rely on human judgement" to remove all the bots from their count.
The sample size is plenty large to be able to make the quarterly <5% claim. I have no idea what the benefit would be of more precision.

But you haven't actually suggested what would be better!
By your logic Twitter could claim 0% of their mDAUs are bots because they've used "tangible, measurable, repeatable criteria that don't rely on human judgement" to remove all the bots from their count.
The sample size is plenty large to be able to make the quarterly <5% claim. I have no idea what the benefit would be of more precision.

We are just not communicating here.

There are two totally separate things.

1: Operationally blocking bots as they try to create accounts and banning them in realtime

2: Reporting your DAU's to the SEC quarterly, given 90 days to examine everything you want about your userbase including how they acted AFTER they signed up, if they got reported for being a bot, etc.

You want to conflate the above two items. They are completely different.

Twitter has chosen a pure-human approach to (2), and their humans (who know who signs their paychecks) report very low bot levels.

Even though I don't like Elon's obsession with Twitter - he IS right that you could use all kinds of deep data science, AI, multiple-regression and other serious techniques to make BACKWARD LOOKING highly accurate measurements about who your real users were over the last quarter, and who the bots were. Doing so would eliminate the current system of human-opinion which is horrifically prone to bias.

Twitter has a long tradition of not doing any form of deep analysis on the topic - instead they have a team of humans that looks at a very small sample

How do you know what they are doing exactly for their analysis?

Doing so would eliminate the current system of human-opinion which is horrifically prone to bias.
The sample is random from the prescreened list of mDAUs. The humans looking at the selection don’t get to decide whether or not they get to decide whether it is a bot. Where exactly is the bias?

So they have to peruse 100 accounts each day (on average) and look at all the information they have on these users, and decide whether it is a bot or not.

Do you really think AI and auto-regression or whatever you suggest, and a fully automated system can do better than humans aided by a ton of personal user information, electronic data of all sorts (login location, frequency, interactions, platforms used, etc., etc.) and computer-aided analysis of these accounts? Don’t you think humans would be better at adapting to humans adjusting bot parameters to evade Twitter, than an algorithm that would take time to recode and possibly retrain (by humans!)? Remember the scale here - they are not trying to weed through 200 million accounts! They don’t need to! (Data science!)

It sounds like the bias you are talking about is Twitter employees (and remember each decision on an account is reviewed in replicate!) being predisposed to call an account a human when it is actually a bot (they determine from the RANDOM sample it is a bot, but then call it a human). Do you think this bias will exceed the bias of a completely automated algorithmic or ML approach that has not been adapted to bot behavior changes since it was last checked? And how do you determine whether the algorithm is even working - how would it be trained and validated by Twitter employees (who you claim are biased) without introducing…bias?

As a reminder of how this works and the issues at play, please read these several tweets; I have selected the middle of the thread, but it is worth looking at the entire thread for context.

Remember, this is “💩” allegedly.

• Funny
Reactions: bkp_duke
Twitter reported 229 million users in the mDAU metric last quarter, not 330 million, which is the monthly active user number.

I also aced engineering stats, and did it drunk. Literally. I took the final after an all night bender, went straight to class from the party at 8am and got 100%. Not bragging, just saying maybe it's not entirely still with me, so this might not be exactly correct:

These confidence interval measurement calculators are for finding a single sample that is representative (95% of the samples will contain the mean, IIRC) using the Central Limit Theorem. But they do not reflect repeated sampling of the same (or at least statistically identical) populations. Taking a random sample of 100 per day adds up to 385 (or whatever number matters) in just a few days. Assuming a statistically stable mDAU population, everything past that date just creates a statistically valid rolling average, does it not?

I understand the confound here, which is that the random sample could also theoretically resample the same users on consecutive days. But I think the percentages are such that it's equivalent to a research firm doing a survey and calling 100 people a day until they get their minimum sample size on day X.
So...we have two outcomes...either you are sober, in which case you are wrong...or you are drunk, and therefore I agree with you...who said stats is difficult..

• Funny
Reactions: ohmman
I genuinely don't understand what you're trying to say.
I was trying to state that selection bias is not an issue. (Just to clarify that since your post was ambiguous on that.) They don’t get to say…meh, I don’t know…let’s try another account.

Human bias is an issue of course. But that same bias is also an issue with any approach if humans have to decide whether or not the approach chosen is correct or not. Please feel completely free to explain to me like I am five (I might be…or I could be a bot) why it would not be.

And even if there is an advantage…will humans be better at adapting to bot behavior changes (driven by humans) than your proposed alternate system would be - and why? What are you proposing? “You can’t build a set of rules to detect spam today, and hope they will still work tomorrow. They will not.”

Please be sure to read through that thread for context and to make sure we are talking about the same thing and have the same basic understanding of their system, based on the only information we have on how the system works.

Because they had to describe it in their SEC filing...
Please state the specific information in that filing that you are referring to, which describes their process.

Last edited:
But that same bias is also an issue with any approach if humans have to decide whether or not the approach chosen is correct or not.
I had not even read the link at the end of the above thread when I wrote this, but for example:

“Even if all of these public details are put into a machine learning model to try to probabilistically predict if an account is a bot, when they rely on human analysis of public account information, that process contains biases — from the start.”

They don’t get to say…meh, I don’t know…let’s try another account.

No one was suggesting the humans are hand picking which accounts to look at. The bias problem is that they get to DECIDE if they think any of the 100 accounts are a bot, and they are hired, paid and potentially fired by the entity who's revenue figure depends on coming up with a LOW number for bot-count.

You don't see ANY possible bias problem in there?

We are just not communicating here.

There are two totally separate things.

1: Operationally blocking bots as they try to create accounts and banning them in realtime

2: Reporting your DAU's to the SEC quarterly, given 90 days to examine everything you want about your userbase including how they acted AFTER they signed up, if they got reported for being a bot, etc.

You want to conflate the above two items. They are completely different.

Twitter has chosen a pure-human approach to (2), and their humans (who know who signs their paychecks) report very low bot levels.

Even though I don't like Elon's obsession with Twitter - he IS right that you could use all kinds of deep data science, AI, multiple-regression and other serious techniques to make BACKWARD LOOKING highly accurate measurements about who your real users were over the last quarter, and who the bots were. Doing so would eliminate the current system of human-opinion which is horrifically prone to bias.
Twitter claims that they are doing exactly what you're suggesting. Once their algorithms determine that a user is a bot they go back and remove it from the mDAU count. There are two separate things removal of spam accounts and the estimation of how many spam accounts remain despite your best efforts to remove spam accounts.
We are continually seeking to improve our ability to estimate the total number of spam accounts and eliminate them from the calculation of our mDAU, and have made improvements in our spam detection capabilities that have resulted in the suspension of a large number of spam, malicious automation, and fake accounts. We intend to continue to make such improvements. After we determine an account is spam, malicious automation, or fake, we stop counting it in our mDAU, or other related metrics.

If they remove one million bots a day, they can’t all have been supervised by a human
🤯

Humans also write the algorithms (or label the data for training the NN) that determine the 1 million accounts to delete a day... of course there is human bias.
100 accounts are a bot
They claim to sample 9,000 accounts per quarter and clearly say that the <5% is the average over the quarter.

The bias problem is that they get to DECIDE if they think any of the 100 accounts are a bot, and they are hired, paid and potentially fired by the entity who's revenue figure depends on coming up with a LOW number for bot-count.

I just said bias is a problem. And I covered this. Can you suggest any plausible mechanism which would be better at this (very small) scale and eliminate or reduce this bias?

I mean it’s all very well to talk about bias, but how do you know it is not minimized, and do you have a plausible argument for something that would be lower bias while also minimizing actual errors (distinct from bias in this context but the error would not be zero mean)?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.