Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon & Twitter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree that being identified would likely curtail abuse, but on the other hand it makes people targets of the truly unhinged.
I think there's a difference between general anonymity and anonymity to those running Twitter. Limited general anonymity can be maintained even under Twitter Blue and therefore the unhinged would not see more detailed information. It's "limited" due to the fact that most governments will have access to the identifying information.

I think it would help to make Twitter Blue more used for those who actually post to Twitter. It's a clever way to reduce bots. I am in read-only, so would not have occasion to find it useful, no matter whether it is $1 a month or $20.

In the end, Twitter wants everyone on Twitter Blue, so that we can send and receive money, do basic banking, buys stocks, send and receive monetary tips, etc. Because of this, I doubt that the charge will be very high. Or there may be both a Twitter Blue and Twitter Green.

Musk has engaged in endless paeans to the glory of free speech and the need to end Twitter’s invidious censorship. This clearly isn’t a subject he’s thought deeply about, since he said back in May that Twitter should delete “tweets that are wrong and bad.”
The full quote: "If there are tweets that are wrong and bad, those should be either deleted or made invisible, and a suspension, a temporary suspension is appropriate but not a permanent ban. If they say something that is illegal or otherwise just destructive to the world ... perhaps a timeout, a temporary suspension, or that particular tweet should be made invisible or have very limited traction. But I think perma-bans just fundamentally undermine trust."

So Elon is practicing what he preached, at least yesterday. His tweet disappeared or was made invisible. When does he serve his temporary suspension?

The full quote: "If there are tweets that are wrong and bad, those should be either deleted or made invisible, and a suspension, a temporary suspension is appropriate but not a permanent ban. If they say something that is illegal or otherwise just destructive to the world ... perhaps a timeout, a temporary suspension, or that particular tweet should be made invisible or have very limited traction. But I think perma-bans just fundamentally undermine trust."

So Elon is practicing what he preached, at least yesterday. His tweet disappeared or was made invisible. When does he serve his temporary suspension?
I’m sure having to delete the tweet was self flagellation enough. 🤣

Reactions: advocate8
Stealing from Matt Levine again:

It’s one blue check mark Michael, what could it cost, $20?

He actually has a whole thing today also discussing that the "fired for cause" nonsense is identical to the "Getting out of the merger contract for bots"-- there appears to be nothing in the actual paperwork that would allow it to stand up in court, and nothing he has said about the reasons are actually legally valid ones to fire for cause- but Elon seems happy to waste millions on legal bills finding that out over and over rather than reading the actual paperwork up front.

Elon Musk’s Paul Pelosi tweet proves he has no business running Twitter | Robert Reich

If Musk’s tweet doesn’t raise bright red warning signs all over the world about his judgment and character, just days after he took over one of the planet’s largest and most influential media machines, I don’t know what will.

Just three days after Elon Musk bought Twitter, he posted a tweet promoting the baseless allegation that Paul Pelosi, the husband of the speaker of the House, who was assaulted on Friday at the couple’s home, had been drunk and in a fight with a male prostitute.

Doesn’t Musk know that the world is watching to see how responsible he is, as the new owner of Twitter? The fact that he personally posts such unhinged, dangerous drivel within three days of taking over the platform suggests he doesn’t give a damn. Does he need reminding that America and the world are at a moment in history when hateful lies are having horrendous consequences? The husband of the speaker of the House was almost murdered because of such lies.

reich may have a point about elons tweet behavior in this case…

but he’s the pot calling the kettle black when it comes to lies and dishonesty about elon and his wealth.

Musk, despite his wealth, good fortune and global influence, is not a serious person. He never exhibits any deep grasp of any issue of substance.
That's hilarious. What a total disconnect. Musk would say that he has a deep grasp of the only issues of substance: physics and mathematics. That's real. That's what first principles is all about. All else is illusion. This clown hasn't the slightest notion.

Now, of course it's just fine to have a disagreement about what's important. But this criticism is coming from an individual who doesn't have the slightest idea about what's real and what isn't.

Edit: Yeah, as I expected. "Siva Vaidhyanathan is a professor of media studies". A well educated person in a made up field that's a meta upon meta study of nothing real and totally specific to a given culture at a given time.

Last edited:
Bias is not a fact. Bias is your opinion

do you really not remember reich’s (and in fairness, a few others) repeated attacks on elon about his income, wealth, and NOT paying his fair share, when in fact it was clearly false?

the broken clock likes of reich or even a jim chanos can be correct once in a while, but that doesn’t make them pillars of virtue either. gimme a break.

it would be a lot better if we were pointing to someone with a little more integrity is all im saying

(and even better yet, it would be a lot better if we didn’t even have to discuss in the first place this i guess - elon has pawned us all in the simulation….aarrgghhh)

Last edited:

Just for the record, given there was much (baseless) speculation. Perhaps Elon should have waited before Tweeting, you know, like a sane person would. DePape seemed to have been quite communicative after apprehension and being read his rights!

It’s a shame the police couldn’t stop the assault. It seems like telling them both to drop the hammer was a mistake. Of course, Pelosi, following orders, immediately was hit with the hammer. I’m sure it happened very quickly though, I suppose caught on body camera too.

It is horrifying. Pelosi was both lucky and unlucky - he nearly escaped unharmed. But also could clearly easily be dead.

He’s also still in the ICU apparently, and recovery at that age is difficult.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: bkp_duke
the tone Musk brings to the platform as a user will be important, and he hopes the tone improves a bit.
Well Elon seems to be the master of low expectations and has now established a very low bar; it would be difficult for him to make the tone any worse at this point. Though I am sure he could do it if he sets his mind to it (and that is my default expectation unfortunately; the wheels seem completely detached at the moment).

It’s going to be interesting to see how Twitter can service its debt. Maybe Elon will just have to liquidate ~$1B of TSLA every year?

Normal leveraged buyout technique would be to sell this dog somehow for a profit (no idea the shenanigans to make that work - seems impossible here of course) and just let the company crater, I think?

Status
Not open for further replies.