Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon & Twitter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
And likely getting your tweets suppressed so that verified accounts get their tweets elevated… you can speak freely but nobody will hear you,,, unless you pay up
I mean that’s kind of already what happens now between verified and unverified.

There might be a threshold for followers where it’s worth buying into it for the added features and no adds.

Lol. So for $8 / month the risk of outages are also sharply increasing with reduced server capacity to be there during peak traffic demand days… sounds like a brilliant concept. Charge more, cut server capacity and 1/2 the staff… growth business !

Absolutely not, this is 100% false.

I run a company that this is exactly what we do, and we see companies over-buy ALL the time on server resources. In fact, what is FAR more important than the server resources, is the efficiency of their code. And if the Twitter code is built like the rest of their business, there is a ton of low-hanging fruit here for Elon to go after.

I would absolutely bet every dime I have that better coders could come in and get a 3-5X improvement in code performance on the same hardware, Guarantee it.

We do this quite frequently for our clients, in fact it is our bread and butter as a "white glove" cloud services company. We profile their code, and they pay us to optimize it to the hilt to reduce their server and network bandwidth costs.

So no, you are completely wrong, 100%.

Absolutely not, this is 100% false.

I run a company that this is exactly what we do, and we see companies over-buy ALL the time on server resources. In fact, what is FAR more important than the server resources, is the efficiency of their code. And if the Twitter code is built like the rest of their business, there is a ton of low-hanging fruit here for Elon to go after.

I would absolutely bet every dime I have that better coders could come in and get a 3-5X improvement in code performance on the same hardware, Guarantee it.

We do this quite frequently for our clients, in fact it is our bread and butter as a "white glove" cloud services company. We profile their code, and they pay us to optimize it to the hilt to reduce their server and network bandwidth costs.

So no, you are completely wrong, 100%.

is this…

reduce the # of regions where deployed (in AWS i guess they use?)

redeploying them to optimize release management - which could cut people needed to service those regions as well, via attrition

in other words…don’t need 20 regions and bloated teams (with members specialized in the unneeded regions) when you could do it with 10 regions and less people - but still maintain the resiliency.

Last edited:
is this…

reduce the # of regions where deployed (in AWS i guess they use?)

redeploying them to optimize release management - which could cut people needed to service those regions as well, via attrition

in other words…don’t need 20 regions and bloated teams (with members specialized in the unneeded regions) when you could do it with 10 regions and less people - but still maintain the resiliency.

Varies case by case, but usually you find ways to improve the efficiency of the code, thereby needing fewer servers in each region to perform the same work.

This development explains, among other reasons, why Tesla's head of software development was one of the 50 people brought over to Twitter to look at the code on day 1 of Musk's takeover.

Appropriately, Musk is looking at places where there are inefficiencies to cut back, and leverage talent he knows he has elsewhere to cut the time to implement those changes.

Twitter being sued for labor violations

Worst case, keep them on payroll for two months but they have to come in and sit at a desk facing a blank wall for those two months. No devices, no actual duties, no exceptions.

Burn off your sick and personal time but after that it’s stare at a blank wall time. Oh yeah, no more custom matcha, catered grub or wine on tap for rooftop gabbing.

Varies case by case, but usually you find ways to improve the efficiency of the code, thereby needing fewer servers in each region to perform the same work.

This development explains, among other reasons, why Tesla's head of software development was one of the 50 people brought over to Twitter to look at the code on day 1 of Musk's takeover.

Appropriately, Musk is looking at places where there are inefficiencies to cut back, and leverage talent he knows he has elsewhere to cut the time to implement those changes.
Yeah and those talented people are just sitting idle right now.

Worst case, keep them on payroll for two months but they have to come in and sit at a desk facing a blank wall for those two months. No devices, no actual duties, no exceptions.

Burn off your sick and personal time but after that it’s stare at a blank wall time. Oh yeah, no more custom matcha, catered grub or wine on tap for rooftop gabbing.
What a way to build a culture.

I can think of much worse ways to spend two months while still getting paid. If they got time to lean, they got time to clean. 🧹
Don't forget other (retained) employees, who were coworkers and friends with these people, would be watching this.

You might enjoy the business instructional series "Severance" on Apple TV+. They have a great "break room" there.

Don't forget other (retained) employees, who were coworkers and friends with these people, would be watching this.

You might enjoy the business instructional series "Severance" on Apple TV+. They have a great "break room" there.
I cant think that this behavior will also have an effect on Tesla and SpaceX employees and recruits. Over the past few years spent a lot of time with Computer Science students and Computer Engineers at Universities that my kids have gone/go to. Lots want to be part of something that makes a better world. Elon is turning them off to Tesla and SpaceX. Yes I know some will say that well it will turn on the conservative students. Sorry just not as many. You look at any of the big tech companies, including Tesla and SpaceX, they are dominated by more liberal people.

I cant think that this behavior will also have an effect on Tesla and SpaceX employees and recruits. Over the past few years spent a lot of time with Computer Science students and Computer Engineers at Universities that my kids have gone/go to. Lots want to be part of something that makes a better world. Elon is turning them off to Tesla and SpaceX. Yes I know some will say that well it will turn on the conservative students. Sorry just not as many. You look at any of the big tech companies, including Tesla and SpaceX, they are dominated by more liberal people.

When I talk to these people, and I recruit directly from this talent pool, they don't care about politics when picking their jobs. Most companies, like mine, have a "leave your politics at the door policy". I adhere to that policy - I'm paying you to do a job, not spread your opinions about LGBTQ around the office.

For those uninitiated (like me), here are the WARN Act details.
psssst.... laws/regulations don't apply to Elon (unless it's China and the CCP has the say... then it's full compliance on Tesla's / Elon's side).
my previous employer did larger layoffs in California and you *have* to announce scope and scale to authorities and give ahead notice etc.

Reactions: advocate8
Status
Not open for further replies.