Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon & Twitter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm staying in SF. Weather is nice. I can walk to Jazz. Food is excellent. Views are world class. Can bike to the Marin Headlands. Quick drive to Napa/ Sonoma. Great public schools. Women have choice. Votes count.
Northern California and north to Vancouver have good choices. San Francisco, Seattle, Vancouver and I think I would like Portland although Oregon is like the only state I want to visit that I havent.

Reactions: advocate8
Of course but I’m guessing the CCP has ways of seeing what’s going on outside of China.

I used to maintain some China Telecom fiber links in the Bay Area when we had a Chinese software company as a client.. The CCP puts restrictions on their population, but not nearly as many on their party users and pretty much none on their higher-level gov employees.

They certainly do have things locked down tight in China, however, as every fiber entry point into the country has some impressive firewall appliances. This is why Starlink scares the crap out of them, they see what it has been used for in Ukraine.

Reactions: ElectricIAC
My opinion - Elon acts like a pragmatist. He knew that picking a fight with Alameda county is something he had a good chance of winning. Picking a fight with the CCP is something he has 0% chance of winning, and stands to lose a lot that would set the "mission" (accelerating the transition of sustainable transport) back considerably.

It was a calculated move.

My 0.02 (ok, worth less than even that).
If that's true then this is why a man that runs a multinational car company with operations in places that do not operate according to the rule of law should not own a social media platform. Even if he believes in free speech that's not restricted except as required by law, what happens when he needs a permit for the Shanghai factory and the CCP demands that their most prominent critics disappear from Twitter? If he was actually willing to stand up to the CCP -- with most of the people of Shanghai on his side, mind you -- then I'd be less concerned that he won't stick to his guns in that other scenario too.

He's unlikely to win against the CCP if he needs a permit and they make demands. He can argue all day that no Chinese law ties activity on a foreign social media platform to permits inside Chinese cities but the CCP's kangaroo courts will definitely cook up some reason to deny Tesla that permit if the CCP doesn't get what it wants.

And Alameda County could have won if the officials weren't such pushovers. The rules allowing them to do this were approved by the CA legislature and signed by the Governor.

Last edited:
My opinion - Elon acts like a pragmatist. He knew that picking a fight with Alameda county is something he had a good chance of winning. Picking a fight with the CCP is something he has 0% chance of winning, and stands to lose a lot that would set the "mission" (accelerating the transition of sustainable transport) back considerably.

It was a calculated move.

My 0.02 (ok, worth less than even that).
It should be noted that he has mostly commented on US and Canadian policies. He holds citizenship in both countries. Don't remember him complaining about German, Chinese, Mexican, Australian, or Indonesian policies other than gently chiding Germany for throwing up environmental roadblocks.

If that's true then this is why a man that runs a multinational car company with operations in places that do not operate according to the rule of law should not own a social media platform. Even if he believes in free speech that's not restricted except as required by law, what happens when he needs a permit for the Shanghai factory and the CCP demands that their most prominent critics disappear from Twitter? If he was actually willing to stand up to the CCP -- with most of the people of Shanghai on his side, mind you -- then I'd be less concerned that he won't stick to his guns in that other scenario too.

He's unlikely to win against the CCP if he needs a permit and they make demands. He can argue all day that no Chinese law ties activity on a foreign social media platform to permits inside Chinese cities but the CCP's kangaroo courts will definitely cook up some reason to deny Tesla that permit if the CCP doesn't get what it wants.

And Alameda County could have won if the officials weren't such pushovers. The rules allowing them to do this were approved by the CA legislature and signed by the Governor.
Make no mistake, China under current leadership can and would seize that factory if he ticks them off.
Germany isnt as perilous a location but this water issue is looking fairly serious long-term, far left types there aside.
But at least Twitter unlikely to be existential issue there in same way.

It should be noted that he has mostly commented on US and Canadian policies. He holds citizenship in both countries. Don't remember him complaining about German, Chinese, Mexican, Australian, or Indonesian policies other than gently chiding Germany for throwing up environmental roadblocks.
Well if Elon's way of doing things is to stand up for principles he believes in if and only if he holds citizenship in the country that's trying to restrict his operations and be a pushover if he doesn't hold citizenship in that country then everyone should treat Twitter as if it is run by the CCP, starting last week.

Wishful thinking here, but Elon owning Twitter may turn out to be a net positive for Tesla investors. There apparently was no real constraint on him to not post stupid chit on Twitter, but now he will be beholden to advertisers to ensure he can recoup the high purchase cost.

Ironic if buying Twitter causes Elon to censor himself.

Wishful thinking here, but Elon owning Twitter may turn out to be a net positive for Tesla investors. There apparently was no real constraint on him to not post stupid chit on Twitter, but now he will be beholden to advertisers to ensure he can recoup the high purchase cost.

I tend to think this may be what happens as well. And Elon's restraint with regard to criticizing Chinese government (other than briefly and cryptically mocking a Chinese state reporter on Twitter a few weeks ago) does show that the man is not outright suicidal when it comes to expressing controversial views, and that this is possible...

Status
Not open for further replies.