Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon & Twitter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
When I talk to these people, and I recruit directly from this talent pool, they don't care about politics when picking their jobs. Most companies, like mine, have a "leave your politics at the door policy". I adhere to that policy - I'm paying you to do a job, not spread your opinions about LGBTQ around the office.
Yeah, but when the management does the employees and recruits see the hypocrisy. I hired some great employees that ended up starting new practices in the company and took leadership roles including opening new offices in US and out of the country. Some of them were LGBTQ and if I didnt respect them or publicly ridiculed them they wouldnt have stuck around. If I did it before they came on board they wouldnt have.

Last edited:
Yeah, but when the management does the employees and recruits see the hypocrisy. I hired some great employees that ended up starting new practices in the company and took leadership roles including opening new offices in US and out of the country. Some of them were LGBTQ and if I didnt respect them or publicly ridiculed them they wouldnt have stuck around. If I did it before they came on board they wouldnt have.

Yeah, that argument doesn't fly with me. My managers aren't allowed to go political either.

Elon's twitter posts are a mix between his personal life and work, and I can't fix that. But MOST companies discourage political discussions, among the managers or the rank+file.

Reactions: ElectricIAC
Yeah, but when the management does and that is what I am talking about. The employees and recruits see the hypocrisy. I hired some great employees that ended up starting new practices in the company and took leadership roles including opening new offices in US and out of the country. Some of them were LGBTQ and if I didnt respect them or publicly ridiculed them they wouldnt have stuck around. If I did it before they came on board they wouldnt have.
That’s the thing. When it comes to corporate culture management sets the tone in a host of ways, reinforcing good culture, tamping down bad.
Elon def has a much different notion of what good culture is than a typical tech organization. His methods may or may not be more productive in the long term... the type of company involved would be part of that equation. We’ll see.
And people here can mock wine on tap and high-end coffee machines all they want but they’re not particularly expensive and are part of the world he’s competing in for talent. I'm about 20 miles from one of the most successful privately owned software companies in the world and they have a freaking pianist in the [free] cafeteria, mains like pork loin in bourbon sauce, free day care, fly in beaujolais nouveau on the first day its ready each year for a party...
They employ several thousand people on a campus with a couple dozen buildings, buy talent in an extremely competitive corner of the industry and their retention is unbelievable, even though salaries are fractionally lower -- likely more than enough saved to pay the freight on the extras. People work long hours but they stay because the culture makes them care about the company.
Twitter is not the world of engineering or manufacturing, nor should everything be treated like it is.

That’s the thing. When it comes to corporate culture management sets the tone in a host of ways, reinforcing good culture, tamping down bad.
Elon def has a much different notion of what good culture is than a typical tech organization. His methods may or may not be more productive in the long term... the type of company involved would be part of that equation. We’ll see.
And people here can mock wine on tap and high-end coffee machines all they want but they’re not particularly expensive and are part of the world he’s competing in for talent. I'm about 20 miles from one of the most successful privately owned software companies in the world and they have a freaking pianist in the [free] cafeteria, mains like pork loin in bourbon sauce, free day care, fly in beaujolais nouveau on the first day its ready each year for a party...
They employ several thousand people on a campus with a couple dozen buildings, buy talent in an extremely competitive corner of the industry and their retention is unbelievable, even though salaries are fractionally lower -- likely more than enough saved to pay the freight on the extras. People work long hours but they stay because the culture makes them care about the company.
Twitter is not the world of engineering or manufacturing, nor should everything be treated like it is.

Sounds like an industry ripe for disruption, if they have margins fat enough to do stuff like that.

Sounds like an industry ripe for disruption, if they have margins fat enough to do stuff like that.
It's driven more by the lack of quality talent, and the desire to lure them to work for you. Same happened/is happening in the quant space. We had a lot of seemingly "excessive" perks (free lunch, barista, game and beer room, etc) because pay was already so high that competing on a five or ten thousand a year wasn't the same draw as adding perks that cost significantly less.

Those who were likely to be a detriment or did not fit with the new mission needed to be removed, no two buts about it.

The age of excess in big tech is likely coming to a halt across the board.
This is def true and large cuts are likely in a lot of places. It’s also true there are good ways of trimming back X number of people and bad ways...

Remember my prediction?

We're at "Advertisers flee from the dumpster-fire of chaos" phase.

It will be followed by the "Elon tries to make money off the backs of users instead of advertising" step (already under way)

That step will fail, in part because Elon doesn't understand that his best users ARE the product and not the revenue stream.

And after lots of suffering Elon will reverse a lot of changes, finally make some improvements to automate content moderation that somewhat work, and he'll have a much-smaller Twitter run by a skeleton crew of remaining traumatized workers.

Pioneer Resources (oil and gas) used to fly even lower level analysts in their corporate jets to Midland from Dallas because hopping on an Southwest Airlines or American Airlines flight was beneath them... talking about fat margins I guess

Pioneer Resources (oil and gas) used to fly even lower level analysts in their corporate jets to Midland from Dallas because hopping on an Southwest Airlines or American Airlines flight was beneath them... talking about fat margins I guess

Oil and gas have almost always had fat margins, and some really egregious tax breaks.

Status
Not open for further replies.