Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon & Twitter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think blocking 4 billion attempted fake listings might be evidence that Amazon DOES know how to detect it with software.
I'm seeing reports that some scammers found out how to get UPS tracking numbers that are going to a certain ZIP code and they give the victim the tracking number so that it looks like the product is shipping to you but it never arrives. And apparently they are more reactive than proactive, and someone needs to actively complain in order to get the listing taken down. Of course, if one scammer created 1000 different listings that's a lot of listings that can get taken down after just one complaint. It didn't require a human to go through all 1000 listings because once they identify the account that is involved, they just take down every listing under that seller's account.

Last edited:
We also need to consider what a troll / scammer can potentially gain, especially if new account appears the bottom of any topic and if "topic filters" are implemented.

To make money they need to be running a scam, if their credit card details can be used to uncover their real identify that is useful for law enforcement.

Any extra data that can be captured is useful for law enforcement.

It is hard for a scammer to make money on Twitter while doing things that are 100% legal.

It is hard for a single troll to move the needle if they are quickly unmasked.

I don't think you people are remotely aware of just how HUGE the internet fake identity market is, how cheap it is to fabricate a very real looking online persona, and how easy it is to have it be pretty close to untraceable.

There are fake identity farms in various foreign countries with diligent workers manipulating dozens of phones with hundreds of sims and spreadsheets of stolen CC ids. Anything you want for an identity can be had for incredibly cheap prices. If I was so inclined I could troll Twitter with a fleet of fake personas on the budget of a cup of coffee per day, forever.

If you want to create a serious town hall filled with totally-legit fully vetted real people, it will take HUGE effort, including a lot of human labor to research each application and prove it's legitimacy, and it STILL won't be airtight.

• Informative
Reactions: ElectricIAC
I don't think you people are remotely aware of just how HUGE the internet fake identity market is, how cheap it is to fabricate a very real looking online persona, and how easy it is to have it be pretty close to untraceable.

There are fake identity farms in various foreign countries with diligent workers manipulating dozens of phones with hundreds of sims and spreadsheets of stolen CC ids. Anything you want for an identity can be had for incredibly cheap prices. If I was so inclined I could troll Twitter with a fleet of fake personas on the budget of a cup of coffee per day, forever.

If you want to create a serious town hall filled with totally-legit fully vetted real people, it will take HUGE effort, including a lot of human labor to research each application and prove it's legitimacy, and it STILL won't be airtight.
All the more reason for companies like Twitter to at least make an effort.

For impersonation, one thing Twitter can improve is responding to complaints. It is important to take the $8 as fast as possible,

Say someone has 100 fake identities and 100 fake accounts, that is $800 on the table, The only question is how long that $800 is allowed to play the game.

Last edited:
All the more reason for companies like Twitter to at least make an effort.

For impersonation, one thing Twitter can improve is responding to complaints. it is important to take the $8 as fast as possible,

Well see, that's the deal - Elon fired most of the people who would check up on this stuff and respond to complaints, hence it's gotten WORSE not better with him at the helm

Well see, that's the deal - Elon fired most of the people who would check up on this stuff and respond to complaints, hence it's gotten WORSE not better with him at the helm
Elon also fired a few people when he took over at Tesla, the onus is on him to make it work. But I he has had a lot of past success over a wide range of tech industries.

Elon is now a folk hero for the right, who previously hated him. This is way more important for Tesla than losing some people on the left who will likely buy a Tesla anyway since it's by far the best option, and in a year or two they'll probably change their mind about him again anyway.

As EVs go mainstream Tesla had to win over conservatives and Elon has pulled it off.
As I've said the anti climate change coal rolling crowd may like what he's doing on Twitter but they aren't going to run out and buy a Tesla. We've seen them say as much.

What is the end game for Twitter? Elon is saying that he already had to sell Tesla shares to save Twitter? How is that possible? Elon doesn't give up so IMO he will sell as much Tesla stock as he needs to keep Twitter a float. I just don't see a clear path for Tesla stock to recover in the near future with all this extra noise. If he would make clear how much is needed to run Twitter I think we could recover and it would not be a problem.

Reactions: Tachyon
Oh, I'm not arguing against his sales being for cash for Twitter in some form, just wondering if we knew what the final mix of funds was.
I would be a little surprised if it was just due to interest given how depressed the stock price currently is. Unless it's a lot of interest.
Gotcha. Any guesses about what else it could be?

My thinking is Optimist Prime figured if things went well then he wouldn't need to sell more TSLA. But when advertisers fled the chaos he so skillfully created, he suddenly needed a lot more cash for Twitter. The only thing I can thing of is high interest loans but I'm a scientist/engineer not a financial guy. Are there other possibilities?

He doesn't know, it's a dynamic situation right now I'd imagine.

What he is trying to do is;-
  1. Reduce expenses
  2. Increase revenue
  3. Improve the product
  4. Shore up/expand the user base.
He doesn't know what revenue will come in, both from the $8 per month and advertising.

In this phase, I imagine the aim is break-even, or lose money more slowly.

The real added value potentially comes in the phase, banking etc. But to get to that phase this phase has to be a modest success.

I still say this is very similar to the start of Tesla, "cash burn" lots of technical and financial issues to solve, lots of product improvements needed.

Why do many people here think if a person can do A and B, they must be able to do C too?
(this probably includes Elon Musk himself too)
Maybe if Steve Jobs were still alive today, he would have sent people to Mars. /s

I've also been fascinated by this line of reasoning (and had people argue both ends of it against me). Elon is clearly a brilliant engineer and designer of things like cars, batteries, rockets engines, space ships, etc.

And he's proven again and again that his instincts with the general human population are TERRIBLE. Both can be true at the same time, and both are predictive of future success depending if you're having Elon work on the next Tesla car, or having him guess at how to make Twitter into a lovely town hall full of civil discourse by formerly neglected moderate voices. He can be great at the first task and terrible at the second one. I figure he'd also suck at playing linebacker in the NFL, which doesn't take anything away from his accomplishments at TSLA and SpaceX - it's just reality.

Status
Not open for further replies.