Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon & Twitter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Clean house and hire people that have performed under pressure for real companies. Until then TSLA needs to watch out below.

Under pressure

One of Elon's great strengths has been his ability to inspire and attract the very best engineering talent to TSLA - even if he burned them out he could hire more equally talented people.

I'm not sure that's true with Twitter, given how horrifically wrong he's been about free-speech-absolutism, advertisers, and how he treated the people that are there including many who are very well respected in the field. Exactly who is going to want to join him who actually KNOWS lots about running a social media platform? Former workers from truth-social or parlor?

I think the $4B was part of the $44B price tag. It went to paying off the bridge loans. It sure isn't money he socked away for future operating expenses. Yes, it will help him keep Twitter by reducing the $1B/yr interest he has to pay. But, according to Elon, he still needs Twitter to start generating more income to avoid going into casters up mode. I don't think he has a cushion of cash somewhere to fund operating Twitter at a loss.
Do we have confirmation that there were bridge loans used?
Rereading the filings, there were two sections that called out a combination of Notes and Loans to cover.

(iii) either
(x) up to $3,000.0 million in aggregate principal amount of senior secured notes (the “Senior Secured Notes”) in a Rule 144A private placement
or
(y) if all or any portion of the Senior Secured Notes are not issued by the Borrower on or prior to the Closing Date (as defined below), up to $3,000.0 million of senior secured increasing rate loans (the “Secured Bridge Loans”), under the senior secured credit facility (the “Secured Bridge Facility” and, together with the Bank Facilities, the “Senior Secured Facilities”) described in the Secured Bridge Term Sheet and
(iv) either
(x) up to $3,000 million in aggregate principal amount of senior unsecured notes (the “Unsecured Notes” and, together with the Senior Secured Notes, the “Notes”) in a Rule 144A private placement
or
(y) if all or any portion of the Unsecured Notes are not issued by the Borrower on or prior to the Closing Date, up to $3,000 million of senior unsecured increasing rate loans (the “Unsecured Bridge Loans” and, together with the Secured Bridge Loans, the “Bridge Loans”), under the senior unsecured credit facility (the “Unsecured Bridge Facility”) described in the Unsecured Bridge Term Sheet.

Do we have confirmation that there were bridge loans used?
I don't. Perhaps I used the term incorrectly. It's been widely reported that Twitter now has a lot of debt and the interest is $1B/yr. I think the money went to paying off loans associated with the Twitter deal. Rob Maurer said the money was to help with the acquisition of Twitter and Musk said it was to help save Twitter.

What else could it be but to pay off high interest loans? Musk said the fourth quarter for Tesla is going to be super. The EV and battery rebates next year should be a huge boost for Tesla. And Elon had announced he was done selling TSLA to pay for Twitter. Unless Elon thought TSLA was going to tank further anyway (without him selling) then he must have had a really good reason to sell now.

I'd like to hear other ideas and explanations. Maybe there's a more benign explanation that I'm missing.

Reactions: advocate8
New Twitter verification system working well I see:

View attachment 873358

Basically anyone with $8 to spare can fake any brand/company/person they want now, post anything they please, and all they are risking is $8 and a throwaway account getting blocked.
I think credit card details, phone numbers, or some Apple ID are part of the verification process.
So a previously blocked customer might be blocked on that basis.

The other thing Twitter can do is develop some software process which looks for these impersonation accounts, highlights them and perhaps automatically locks them.

Basically Twitter now is where Tesla was in 2008, lots of work to be done, and success isn't guaranteed. But using logic and reason rather than emotion, I give Elon and Twitter a fighting chance, because computer software isn't that hard, and incremental improvement always works.

I think credit card details, phone numbers, or some Apple ID are part of the verification process.

The other thing Twitter can do is develop some software process which looks for these impersonation accounts, highlights them and perhaps automatically locks them.
Perhaps it can stop you from posting if suspicious and send for secondary verification..

He obviously knows the impersonation fiasco is happening, so either he doesn't care, or actually thinks it is funny and not going to do anything about it. You'd think he would make a public statement about it if it was a big concern for him.
We could pay attention to what he has previously said he will do about it.

The problem is certainly no harder than landing rockets on drone ships.

And Elon is too far committed to give up easily on Twitter and not care. As always, I suggest he wants to prove the critics wrong.

Doesn't matter - people have already shown that it's trivial to get get a new CC, phone # and Apple ID on whim if they want...
I think the point is to make it incrementally more difficult and expensive and to improve detection of fakes.

There is more they could do, after a certain date new Twitter users might need to lodge a "good behaviour" bond, which covers the first year of payments,

They could tighten up the identification requirement or require new user to be certified by existing users before they can post.

Twitter owns the game, they make the rules.

Basically Twitter now is where Tesla was in 2008, lots of work to be done, and success isn't guaranteed. But using logic and reason rather than emotion, I give Elon and Twitter a fighting chance, because computer software isn't that hard, and incremental improvement always works.

Identity verification and fake-identity-bad-actors is a HUGE industry, and a constant arms race especially in the mobile-apps world.

There are experts with decades of experience in the trenches on the topic.... likely some of them are former Twitter employees.

But thinking you've just invented the idea of using software to look for impersonation accounts and highlight them... um.. yeah welcome to 2008

Status
Not open for further replies.