Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon & Twitter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Behavior like this from an employee in a public venue screams dismal morale IMO, which isn't particularly surprising considering what has happened and is happening

But this is also just a really bizarre method of communication for people in the same company much less the CEO and an employee, I'm picturing two people in the same building angrily tweeting one another rather than getting up and going to each others office/desk

But this is also just a really bizarre method of communication for people in the same company much less the CEO and an employee, I'm picturing two people in the same building angrily tweeting one another rather than getting up and going to each others office/desk
Well, the employee pointed that out - he wasn't contacted through Slack or other internal channels. But it turns out from a post upthread that a slew of people being critical even on Slack were fired. So I don't think it matters where or how you say it. You just can't say it right now.

Wtf man. During a vulnerable time when advertisers are questioning twitter, you think it's a good time for employees to publicly dunk on the ceo? Just sell your stock and leave if this is the type of argument we have to deal with.
I don't own Twitter stock. Maybe you're the one who should leave if you can't take criticism of your hero.

Remind me again, why does the richest man in the world need/seek publicity? As a TSLA investor and owner his public meltdowns shake my confidence. And I fear Musk is commingling funds between his companies, which is illegal, if proven. Since Tesla is a profit center, its shareholders may unwittingly be funding Musk's losing ventures. I view Musk as an unkempt cross between Albert Einstein and Bernie Madoff. The smartest move he can make is banning himself from Twitter.

Go back and take "owning stock 101".

Elon owns TSLA shares - they are HIS. You, me, Joe Schmoe, we have no say in what he does with his PRIVATE property. If he wants to SELL shares of TSLA, to fund purchasing Twitter, OnlyFans, a whorehouse in Nevada . . . that's 100% legal and 100% his business.

Do many here NOT like it? Obviously.

But is he 100% following the law? Yep.

1668533546077.png

Go back and take "owning stock 101".

Elon owns TSLA shares - they are HIS. You, me, Joe Schmoe, we have no say in what he does with his PRIVATE property. If he wants to SELL shares of TSLA, to fund purchasing Twitter, OnlyFans, a whorehouse in Nevada . . . that's 100% legal and 100% his business.

Do many here NOT like it? Obviously.

But is he 100% following the law? Yep.
While this is completely correct, I read @TSLY's concern as Elon commingling internal funds, i.e. taking assets from within Tesla such as employee time or finances and using those to fund/support the Twitter venture. I believe those claims are entirely unfounded but if that were to be the case, it would be a different story from what you outline above.

Apples to oranges

Apple: Other large social media platform can get andriod to work just fine, so there shouldn't be any excuse
Oranges: No one knows the answer to full L5 autonomy as it's never been done, so everything is experimental and requires lot of rewrites/resets/pivots.
I’m skeptical that Facebook has never done a major rewrite of their android app. Also I have no idea how well Facebook works on low end android phones.

The way I read the situation is that Elon called out the engineers publicly as grossly incompetent and they defended themselves publicly because they don’t care if they get fired.
The issue seems to be that Elon is the massive vector clashing with the other vectors in the company. Changing the culture to match his preferences is not going to be easy.

While this is completely correct, I read @TSLY's concern as Elon commingling internal funds, i.e. taking assets from within Tesla such as employee time or finances and using those to fund/support the Twitter venture. I believe those claims are entirely unfounded but if that were to be the case, it would be a different story from what you outline above.

Could you at least agree that there's considerable co-mingling of the CEO resource and his top assistants?

I’m skeptical that Facebook has never done a major rewrite of their android app. Also I have no idea how well Facebook works on low end android phones.

The way I read the situation is that Elon called out the engineers publicly as grossly incompetent and they defended themselves publicly because they don’t care if they get fired.
The issue seems to be that Elon is the massive vector clashing with the other vectors in the company. Changing the culture to match his preferences is not going to be easy.

No one is arguing what the solution should be. But to dunk on your CEO about this is another way of saying "our code is not the problem, you are the problem". The guy could have said "we may need a rewrite to optimize the flow and will work to resolve this". This keeps your job

That's also been covered in this thread, but it's buried at this point.

There's nothing illegal about moving an employee from one company to another, as long as the employee agrees to that and is compensated. Elon has done this at SpaceX and Tesla for over a decade (especially in the materials teams).

There's nothing illegal about moving an employee from one company to another, as long as the employee agrees to that and is compensated. Elon has done this at SpaceX and Tesla for over a decade (especially in the materials teams).
Agreed, assuming those things are covered. Like I said, unfounded but it would be an issue if resources were shared without proper compensation and accounting. Big claims, and I haven't seen evidence to support it at this time. I could see the challenge with keeping on top of it, though. Hopefully Elon's got people around him doing that important work.

It being "legal" and investors disliking it are two different things though. Previous similar decisions probably didn't matter for Tesla given stock value skyrocketed regardless, but right now Tesla stock value has cratered and any suggestions of taking engineers or other resources from Tesla to fix Twitter's mess likely would not be well received by investors regardless of if they did the proper accounting work.

No one is arguing what the solution should be. But to dunk on your CEO about this is another way of saying "our code is not the problem, you are the problem". The guy could have said "we may need a rewrite to optimize the flow and will work to resolve this". This keeps your job
That is what he said. He just told Elon that he is wrong about why it is slow first.
From the outside it certainly seems like employee morale is very low. It will be interesting to see how it all plays out.

Status
Not open for further replies.