Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon & Twitter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah I don't understand why people started to think the company they work for is a democracy? No it's as close to fascism as you can go. You are limited to what you can say, wear, and do while on the clock. Any deviation from this will result in termination.

I think these software company workers with their free lattes and ping pong tables completely forgot what it means to be at work
Command and control management style is a little antiquated or at least falling out of favor in recent years, though. I’m nearly 50 and this was the de facto standard when I started working and when I started my first business 25 years ago. But management and governance styles have changed and many successful workplaces use different structures from the “fascist” model you outline.

An unsolicited if related anecdote: when I was 23, I happened to be in a field well suited for my personal skill set and was happily excelling at the job I had landed. However, I’m a jokester and like to laugh and make others laugh. I was told by my boss, in front of my entire team, that maybe I should cut the humor a bit because work isn’t always a joke. My immediate response, also in front of the team, was that it was a requirement for me, and he was welcome to fire me if he’d like. He didn’t, but I learned a valuable lesson from that exchange. The manager side - respect your workers and understand what makes them want to keep coming back and working hard. The employee side - don’t let anyone step on the things that make you excel.

Perhaps you enjoy working in that type of environment but not everyone does. Many people have the choice to work somewhere else and will do so. “Communicate fearlessly to build trust.” is literally on the wall of Twitter HQ. Of course Elon has every right to change the corporate culture but it seems like it’s going to be painful transition for him and everyone else involved.
It's not about enjoyment, no one enjoys this kind of environment. It is the baseline expectation. I don't jump from jobs to jobs until I find the one that has the most autonomy with the chillest boss and the best perks. If it happens it happens, and if the company I am in is in trouble then the expectation will be more productivity, and to be more of a team player. What you don't want are complainers and disgruntled people during rough times. There's no time babying and appeasing to people that are a net negative to the organization during such a time.

Yeah, that's the most piss-poor example ever. Airplanes and autos have significant safety risk. That doesn't apply to a social media company staffed by a bunch of snowflakes.
You know what the other companies Elon runs do, right? SpaceX and Tesla? Someone should be looking into corporate culture and making sure that neither of these companies pulls a Boeing with a 737 MAX-like incident. I will say this: even if it was affordable, I wouldn't fly on a SpaceX rocket, given the quality of software (or lack thereof) I have seen and keep seeing coming out of Tesla.

You know what the other companies Elon runs do, right? SpaceX and Tesla? Someone should be looking into corporate culture and making sure that neither of these companies pulls a Boeing with a 737 MAX-like incident. I will say this: even if it was affordable, I wouldn't fly on a SpaceX rocket, given the quality of software (or lack thereof) I have seen and keep seeing coming out of Tesla.

ROFL. Yeah, stretching there. AGAIN - NOTHING Twitter does is mission critical.

Sure, Elon can do whatever he wants at Twitter. It's not mission critical. BUT, someone better take a look at what's going on at Tesla and SpaceX given how he's running Twitter. I think he'll eventually figure out that creating this kind of toxic culture isn't good for the company but by then it will be too late. Everyone who knows how to write software will have left the company.

Sure, Elon can do whatever he wants at Twitter. It's not mission critical. BUT, someone better take a look at what's going on at Tesla and SpaceX given how he's running Twitter. I think he'll eventually figure out that creating this kind of toxic culture isn't good for the company but by then it will be too late. Everyone who knows how to write software will have left the company.

Tesla and SpaceX are regulated appropriately, there's plenty of public evidence to show that they are CONSTANTLY under the microscope.

🤷‍♂️

Screen Shot 2022-11-15 at 2.06.34 PM.png

I feel like some important things have happened on Twitter and I think we've seen some examples of dangers that might emerge if security at Twitter was compromised. Would everything be ok? Probably, but I'm not sure. In any case I'm not sure we can say nothing they do matters at all in the real world.

🤷‍♂️

View attachment 874982

I feel like some important things have happened on Twitter and I think we've seen some examples of dangers that might emerge if security at Twitter was compromised. Would everything be ok? Probably, but I'm not sure. In any case I'm not sure we can say nothing they do matters at all in the real world.

And yet JUST TODAY Janet Yellen said Biden was off his rocker and there is NO basis to investigate Musk's twitter purchase.

Damn, facts suck.

Tesla and SpaceX are regulated appropriately, there's plenty of public evidence to show that they are CONSTANTLY under the microscope.
Moving wiper controls completely off the main display without warning, breaking people's heat pump compressors because of a software bug, and breaking automatic wipers shows that there isn't sufficient oversight. And that doesn't even get into the stuff they've done that's annoying but not a safety issue, like making the charge port cover slam down immediately after I remove the connector.

I think he'll eventually figure out that creating this kind of toxic culture isn't good for the company but by then it will be too late.
I'm sure Elon has run every company in the same manner. There were mass firings at Tesla back in the early Roadster days when he took over and there are plenty of stories of him rage firing people in his line of sight at the wrong time. This is just the first time we're seeing it happen in real time on Twitter.

You tried to imply that Twitter = critical communications. I was debunking that by an official response from someone in the administration.
I don't think that administration response has any bearing on whether or not Twitter is a critical means of communications. Completely distinct from national-security related industries & businesses, which CFIUS does keep an eye on.

In any case, it's just not related at all, and clearly had nothing to do with what I was responding to. Left field.

Last edited:
I don't think that administration response has anything bearing on whether or not Twitter is a critical means of communications. Completely distinct from national security related industries & businesses, which CFIUS does keep an eye on.

In any case, it's just not related at all, and clearly had nothing to do with what I was responding to. Left field.

Left field is someone trying to argue that Twitter is remotely close to "critical".

And yet JUST TODAY Janet Yellen said Biden was off his rocker and there is NO basis to investigate Musk's twitter purchase.

Damn, facts suck.
To be fair, this is the same person that said there would be no inflation, then that inflation is transitory, and then that they could not have forseen the level of inflation.

Reactions: philw1776
It's not about enjoyment, no one enjoys this kind of environment. It is the baseline expectation. I don't jump from jobs to jobs until I find the one that has the most autonomy with the chillest boss and the best perks. If it happens it happens, and if the company I am in is in trouble then the expectation will be more productivity, and to be more of a team player. What you don't want are complainers and disgruntled people during rough times. There's no time babying and appeasing to people that are a net negative to the organization during such a time.
The baseline expectation of Twitter employees is different. That’s just basic psychology. I’m sure they all view the rough times as being caused by Elon’s acquisition (they mostly are!).
Anyway, we’ve got a lot of names of employees who got fired. It seems like we’ll see if they are able to find a better job that more closely matches their expectations.
There definitely seem to be a lot of salty people rooting against them on Twitter!

Reactions: sleepydoc
Status
Not open for further replies.