Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon & Twitter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It being "legal" and investors disliking it are two different things though. Previous similar decisions probably didn't matter for Tesla given stock value skyrocketed regardless, but right now Tesla stock value has cratered and any suggestions of taking engineers or other resources from Tesla to fix Twitter's mess likely would not be well received by investors regardless of if they did the proper accounting work.

It's 50 people, out of Tesla's GIGANTIC employee pool of 100,000+.

It's a hard argument to make, and a nearly impossible one to win in a shareholder proposal (since Musk owns 20+% of the company) that these 50 employees are so "materially key" that it has a marked, negative impact on Tesla. Not when Tesla continues to grow steadily quarter over quarter.

No one is arguing what the solution should be. But to dunk on your CEO about this is another way of saying "our code is not the problem, you are the problem". The guy could have said "we may need a rewrite to optimize the flow and will work to resolve this". This keeps your job

The guy is a complete asshole, toxic to the extreme. He publicly said that it is perfectly OK for a free meal at twitter to cost 400 USD per person, after Elon pointed out that twitter is short of funds. ANY company which would NOT fire this entitled dickhead deserves to go bakrupt.

Well, the employee pointed that out - he wasn't contacted through Slack or other internal channels. But it turns out from a post upthread that a slew of people being critical even on Slack were fired. So I don't think it matters where or how you say it. You just can't say it right now.
There are certain fields, aviation being one of them, where people are taught to speak up if they see something wrong, irrespective of who has a higher status or experience level, because the overall crew work better when everyone communicates. Many crashes and incidents have occurred because a junior crew member saw a problem but was afraid to speak up because the captain was so much more experienced and the junior crew member just assumed he'd be right.

Of course, there isn't any reason to have any such regulations when it comes to social media companies because if Twitter goes down, no one is going to die. But this type of environment where people aren't encouraged to bring up issues they see is pretty toxic and most engineers with talent won't need to be fired -- they'll simply go elsewhere.

His political tweets are 100% about narrative. I don’t recall seeing a single policy based tweet recently. When he tweeted that there would be no investigation of Bankman-Fried was that true? Of course not, it’s all about political narrative.
Elon still works with his default spectrum programming though....bending toward what is true (per his perception) vs. the trending narrative. I don't think you'd catch him believing in obviously false ideology because it's popular, but he is human and I expect he'll make mistakes sometimes. The 'pedoguy' comment, for example, was a low point. Shouldn't-a dun that.

Also, *everything* is so politicized these days where people (especially the young and the woke) expect corporations to take ideological stances on various claims, sometimes in the face of settled science.

Coca-Cola was telling its employees internally to 'be less white', which is shocking to this Gen-X'er. This was leaked from an internal source and it's a Google search away. Change 'white' to any other 'race' and there would be mayhem, and a crystal clear problem.

I don't see Elon doing anything like this, or firing people for simply reflecting a scientific consensus as it relates to the incidence of the sexes in STEM (like the James Damore firing from 'evil' Google). From my POV, Elon looks pretty damned good given his accomplishments and work ethic, but to the woke, he's practically the embodiment of the EviL PaTrIaRcHaL BiLliOnAiRe. This is why the Left always describe him as a 'billionaire' rather than as a person who earned his way into this club, because this gets an easy jeer from the masses who skew left. I don't hate anyone simply for being rich, and I consider this an extremely basic position to take.

Here's a link to a New York Post article about Coca-Cola's absurd internal propaganda. If Coca-Cola is so bold to be this crazy, then what is happening to the employee base? Who is demanding such nonsense? Probably the same types who wanted Damore fired and got what they wanted.

Yes you would aka free speech can have consequences. Just like getting suspended/banned etc from a private social media company is a consequence of spewing vile hate speech, misinformation, and inciting people towards violence.

Elon has stated that he wants directives carried out, or explain why he's wrong. Doing this on Twitter isn't a good idea though, and the attitude of that employee was recalcitrant at best. I would never talk to my boss (especially the CEO) like that on a public platform.

Hell, humans can barely cope with a valid spelling correction. Seriously. People will argue until the next asteroid strike over a spelling error THEY got wrong simply because it was pointed out in public, and generally people don't correct spelling in public because of the heat it brings. There are brave sorts who will especially if it's clearly not a typo, but there's a cost to it. Sometimes the spelling error is so bad that the person being corrected was writing the opposite of what they meant, e.g.;

"I'm really glad to be apart of this group."
"*a part"
*RAGE*.

I love those posts on Reddit where someone misspells 'lose', 'you're', or 'too' (inevitably) and there are 200+ likes for the spelling correction. I specifically look for those, lol.

Elon's not afraid to start over when something isn't working rather than polishing a turd to save face. If Elon is firing someone they probably deserved it. Allegedly some people were asked back so I'm curious about those specific examples if they're not FUD from the Left (like the epithets some tried to associate with Elon). Dirty tricks are everywhere.

The problem with the phrase "vile hate speech" is that it's up to interpretation. If a TERF (trans-exclusive radical feminist) says that trans women aren't women (they're trans women); is this hate speech? I don't think so. In fact I would say it's just true, but I will still use their preferred pronouns. But, I wouldn't support trans women in women's sports where developing male makes a difference.

So, this ideological premise 'trans women are women' sets up ALL female athletes for failure if this 'logic' is used to support the idea that trans women should be allowed to compete against CIS/Bio-women in female sport, such as handball, weightlifting, MMA, etc., where male development prior to transition makes an enormous difference. TERFs often get attacked but their position is anything but 'hate speech', though old Twitter basically banned someone for similar speech (for life, I believe). The stories are a search away.

Heck, even the word 'female' is under fire from the left, but they'll happily use the term 'male' everywhere, including where we're being insulted en masse. Is this 'hate speech'? I wouldn't be surprised if the lowest common safe space denominators claimed as much.

Was James Damore using 'hate speech' when he said that there's more of a choice gap (between men and women in STEM) to explain the difference in candidate numbers? No. Yet he was fired by Google and viciously attacked by the left who mischaracterized his position as much as possible, including calling his memo a 'manifesto'. Damore simply referred to the interest gap based on the big five psych traits that differ generally between the sexes. This is about the rule of course and not the exception. I'm very curious what kind of enormous settlement Damore got from Google, heh.

Is it 'hate speech' to be an atheist among a majority of believers? One of the older extended definitions of 'atheist' in dictionaries was 'wicked', and it was used synonymously. This has mostly fallen out of favor, but we still don't see many politicians who run as explicit atheists because it's still considered political suicide, though things are a-changin'.

This is why being an advocate of free speech is SO important and the platform has to support it, assuming one cares about diversity (of thought). Labeling something 'hate speech' simply assumes what it seeks to prove, and is logically fallacious. That doesn't mean hate doesn't exist. It certainly does, but we should interrogate the idea in a forum free of ideological thumbs on the scale.

That's just one of the reasons Elon bought Twitter, and I would say it's a primary reason. This stuff about monetization and verification is just administrative work that'll take a bit of experimentation to get right. The important bit here is that the bird is freed, and Twitter will find its balance soon enough with Elon steering the ship away from the prior thought-crime dystopia.

Last edited:
In my experience, employees who are willing to speak up tend to be the smarter better informed ones.

You will never hear from the lazy and incompetent staff - they do not want any light shined on themselves.

You mean like everyone who FUDs all over everything Elon does—only to be proven wrong? Few individuals have faced so much opposition only to have the opposition to be wrong time and again. Tesla. SpaceX, and now Twitter. This too shall pass, of course.

Sometimes the people who know the least speak the loudest, because they don't know what or that they don't know. Often, the experts are the ones with the highest levels of self-interrogation and explaining concepts with plenty of caveats and management of expectation, and are less likely to be recalcitrant jerks on a public platform toward the CEO of the company they work for.

The Dunning-Kruger effect is everywhere, especially among the lazy op-ed 'journalists' regarding anything Elon because it only takes a few strawman arguments to get an easy cheer. Real journalism is mostly dead.

Last edited:
You mean like everyone who FUDs all over everything Elon does—only to be proven wrong? Few individuals have faced so much opposition only to have the opposition to be wrong time and again. Tesla. SpaceX, and now Twitter. This too shall pass, of course.

Sometimes the people who know the least speak the loudest, because they don't know what or that they don't know. Often, the experts are the ones with the highest levels of self-interrogation and explaining concepts with plenty of caveats and management of expectation, and are less likely to be recalcitrant jerks on a public platform toward the CEO of the company they work for.

The Dunning-Kruger effect is everywhere, especially in the lazy op-ed 'journalists' regarding anything Elon because it only takes a few strawman arguments to get an easy cheer. Real journalism is mostly dead.

We're talking about employees speaking up about the company they work for, not random internet trolls here

We're talking about employees speaking up about the company they work for, not random internet trolls here

Companies are effectively monarchies. If the employees don't like what Elon is doing, simply put, they can leave.

Twitter isn't "employee owned". They have zero say unless Elon solicits their opinions. No way Elon is going to allow public criticism from this group, and he should not.

Finally the apology from Elon we've all been waiting for. Showing real contrition.

Screen Shot 2022-11-15 at 1.16.38 PM.png

Last edited:
Companies are effectively monarchies. If the employees don't like what Elon is doing, simply put, they can leave.

Twitter isn't "employee owned". They have zero say unless Elon solicits their opinions. No way Elon is going to allow public criticism from this group, and he should not.
Yeah I don't understand why people started to think the company they work for is a democracy? No it's as close to fascism as you can go. You are limited to what you can say, wear, and do while on the clock. Any deviation from this will result in termination.

I think these software company workers with their free lattes and ping pong tables completely forgot what it means to be at work

FAA and NTSB would never allow airlines to put in place a policy that whatever the CEO says goes and no pilot, first officer, or other crew member better speak out against the CEO, or even a policy that no crew member should ever question the captain. Because this would literally get people killed. Not that this applies to Twitter (it doesn't) but a good leader listens to the people actually doing the work. And listens to people with only 5-10% of his experience because sometimes, they do see things that other people miss.
Legally he doesn't have to. But what someone can do and what he or she should do are two very different things. With the toxic atmosphere Elon has created, I would expect employees to start leaving, with the first out the door being the most talented people

FAA and NTSB would never allow airlines to put in place a policy that whatever the CEO says goes and no pilot, first officer, or other crew member better speak out against the CEO, or even a policy that no crew member should ever question the captain. Because this would literally get people killed. Not that this applies to Twitter (it doesn't) but a good leader listens to the people actually doing the work.

Yeah, that's the most piss-poor example ever. Airplanes and autos have significant safety risk. That doesn't apply to a social media company staffed by a bunch of snowflakes.

FAA and NTSB would never allow airlines to put in place a policy that whatever the CEO says goes and no pilot, first officer, or other crew member better speak out against the CEO, or even a policy that no crew member should ever question the captain. Because this would literally get people killed. Not that this applies to Twitter (it doesn't) but a good leader listens to the people actually doing the work. And listens to people with only 5-10% of his experience because sometimes, they do see things that other people miss.

Legally he doesn't have to. But what someone can do and what he or she should do are two very different things. With the toxic atmosphere Elon has created, I would expect employees to start leaving, with the first out the door being the most talented people

Yep. And the ones who stay are likely to be those who don't think they can get work elsewhere, so they'll play mindless sycophant for dear leader no matter what he says, even if they know he's wrong since it's proven that disagreeing with him can be fatal.

I don't think that will make for a good corporate culture, or an efficient/successful engineering process

Elon still works with his default spectrum programming though....bending toward what is true (per his perception) vs. the trending narrative. I don't think you'd catch him believing in obviously false ideology because it's popular, but he is human and I expect he'll make mistakes sometimes. The 'pedoguy' comment, for example, was a low point. Shouldn't-a dun that.

Also, *everything* is so politicized these days where people (especially the young and the woke) expect corporations to take ideological stances on various claims, sometimes in the face of settled science.

Coca-Cola was telling its employees internally to 'be less white', which is shocking to this Gen-X'er. This was leaked from an internal source and it's a Google search away. Change 'white' to any other 'race' and there would be mayhem, and a crystal clear problem.

I don't see Elon doing anything like this, or firing people for simply reflecting a scientific consensus as it relates to the incidence of the sexes in STEM (like the James Damore firing from 'evil' Google). From my POV, Elon looks pretty damned good given his accomplishments and work ethic, but to the woke, he's practically the embodiment of the EviL PaTrIaRcHaL BiLliOnAiRe. This is why the Left always describe him as a 'billionaire' rather than as a person who earned his way into this club, because this gets an easy jeer from the masses who skew left. I don't hate anyone simply for being rich, and I consider this an extremely basic position to take.

Here's a link to a New York Post article about Coca-Cola's absurd internal propaganda. If Coca-Cola is so bold to be this crazy, then what is happening to the employee base? Who is demanding such nonsense? Probably the same types who wanted Damore fired and got what they wanted.

I’m just going by what I see in his Twitter posts. His default mode is to push a contrarian narrative, not to find out what is true. The whole “woke war III” narrative he and Sacks were pushing a couple months ago is a perfect example.

I’m just going by what I see in his Twitter posts. His default mode is to push a contrarian narrative, not to find out what is true. The whole “woke war III” narrative he and Sacks were pushing a couple months ago is a perfect example.

He also has repeatedly amplified and embraced conspiracy nonsense - the Pelosi attack being the most recent. These do NOT look like someone interested in an accurate representation of reality, they instead speak of someone with a personal agenda that trumps reality

He also has repeatedly amplified and embraced conspiracy nonsense - the Pelosi attack being the most recent. These do NOT look like someone interested in an accurate representation of reality, they instead speak of someone with a personal agenda that's Trump's reality

FTFY. :D

(To paraphrase, never let the truth get in the way of a good joke.)

Yeah I don't understand why people started to think the company they work for is a democracy? No it's as close to fascism as you can go. You are limited to what you can say, wear, and do while on the clock. Any deviation from this will result in termination.

I think these software company workers with their free lattes and ping pong tables completely forgot what it means to be at work
Perhaps you enjoy working in that type of environment but not everyone does. Many people have the choice to work somewhere else and will do so. “Communicate fearlessly to build trust.” is literally on the wall of Twitter HQ. Of course Elon has every right to change the corporate culture but it seems like it’s going to be painful transition for him and everyone else involved.

You seem to imagine only one way to run a company, essentially the "mad dictator" model.

Status
Not open for further replies.