Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon & Twitter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Some groups 80% are taking the severance. The remaining are probably mostly visa holders that need employment to stay. Twitter is probably losing some of the better employees this time.

I recall someone on here saying that Elon was headed for trouble at Twitter because despite being a brilliant engineer, he has TERRIBLE people skills and social intuition so he'd piss off the advertisers, customers and staff.... and his skill at writing code wouldn't matter since there's nothing exotic to be made here - just hard work to run and moderate a social media platform.

Who could have seen this coming!???

Elon doesn't take bullying or libel lightly. He can outspend pretty much everyone on Twitter if he decides to sue them (with his team of pitbull lawyers, of course). Whether he would win or not is immaterial.
Has Elon ever sued anyone?
70% of people thought he’d sue Dan O’Dowd but apparently the Tesla legal team is still softcore.

Mr. Musk’s team also held meetings with undecided employees who are key to Twitter’s operations to try to persuade them to stay, three people said.
In one of those meetings, some employees were summoned to a conference room in the San Francisco office while others called in via videoconference. As the 5 p.m. deadline passed, some who had called in began hanging up, seemingly having decided to leave, even as Mr. Musk continued speaking, two people familiar with the meeting said.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/11/17/technology/twitter-elon-musk-ftc.html

Has Elon ever sued anyone?
70% of people thought he’d sue Dan O’Dowd but apparently the Tesla legal team is still softcore.

I agree - if Elon took "Libel" seriously, why would he be posting lies about Pelosi's Husband? He sure doesn't seem very concerned with pushing falsehoods about famous people that border on legally-actionable.

Or were we just talking about purely when Elon is upset about someone saying something HE doesn't like? Yeah, in that case maybe he cares about libel. Maybe.

I haven't confirmed the details, but the other thing I saw was that Eli Lilly lost a patent or something which probably contributed to the bulk of the drop. Not sure, I'm sure someone will dig it up.
Eli Lilly lost a lawsuit with Teva pharmaceuticals over another drug, but that was on Nov 9, so it's hard to argue that the drop on the 11th was caused by that report. Below is the Lilly stock graph for the last month. There's another big drop on 11/1. Clearly that wasn't caused by the tweet. If the entire drop was caused by the tweet one would expect the price to have come up once it was clear it was a fraud. Is there a temporal correlation? Absolutely. Can one prove causation? No. It's almost impossible to ever prove causation with stock prices.

1668729907923.png

Reactions: DrGriz
If the entire drop was caused by the tweet one would expect the price to have come up once it was clear it was a fraud.
Also Tweet was on Thursday during extended trading hours or maybe before and no response (I think it may have even been publicized on Thursday). And drop occurred on Friday.

But I refuse to look up the evidence, going purely on recollection here.

LORA KOLODNY, CNBC AND JASON ABBRUZZESE
November 17, 2022, 6:32 PM
A new wave of Twitter employees resigned on Thursday after Elon Musk issued an ultimatum telling them they would need to be willing to commit to a “hardcore” work environment.

Internal Slack messages shared with CNBC showed engineers and other employees posting goodbye messages to a “watercooler” chat group in the run up to 5 p.m. ET Thursday deadline that Musk set just a day earlier.

Hundreds of salute emojis (which convey the message “thank you for your service”) streamed by, along with dozens of goodbye messages.
Three Twitter employees who spoke with CNBC asked to remain nameless, citing fear of professional retaliation. All three were planning to resign on Thursday. It was not clear exactly how many Twitter employees resigned.
“The train has started in #social-watercooler” one of the employees said, referring to a Slack room where Twitter employees have used in recent weeks to notify others that they are leaving.

Musk on Wednesday sent a companywide email telling employees to expect “long hours at high intensity” if they wanted to stay. He said they had until 5 p.m. ET on Thursday to decide.

Musk followed that up on Thursday with a pair of emails that said managers must meet with employees in person once a week or at least monthly, and that managers could be fired for allowing employees to work remotely if those employees do not prove, in his view, to be “excellent” or “exceptional.”

Musk has asked some top engineers who opted to resign to consider staying on, according to one Twitter engineer familiar with the situation.

The recent wave of resignations adds to what is now a combined mass layoff and voluntary exodus from Twitter, leaving the company significantly smaller than when Musk first took over in late October.

One engineer said that resignations had hit important parts of the company’s engineering operation.

“Entire teams representing critical infrastructure are voluntarily departing the company, leaving the company at serious risk of being able to recover,” the engineer, who said they were handing in their resignation on Thursday, wrote to CNBC.

The engineer added that many leaving Twitter did not feel the need to stay, and that they only knew of two people staying, one because the company sponsored their U.S. visa.

“We are skilled professionals with lots of options, so Elon has given us no reasons to stay and many to leave,” they wrote.

Esther Crawford, who works on early stage products at Twitter, sent a farewell message to those leaving the company.

"To all the Tweeps who decided to make today your last day: thanks for being incredible teammates through the ups and downs," she tweeted. "I can’t wait to see what you do next."

Later Thursday, the company said it would be closing all offices until Monday, according to an email shared with CNBC by a departing employee.

“Please continue to comply with company policy by refraining from discussing confidential company information on social media, with the press or elsewhere," the email added.

Also Tweet was on Thursday during extended trading hours or maybe before and no response (I think it may have even been publicized on Thursday). And drop occurred on Friday.

But I refuse to look up the evidence, going purely on recollection here.
Ok I looked it up because it was easy. My recollection was correct.

There was no correlation of stock price with the fake Tweet. No connection, as this article makes clear (sort of; it is “just asking questions”):

All just fake news. Twitter 2.0 can’t come soon enough.

• Disagree
Reactions: sleepydoc
Suggested new office-pool/drinking game: "What terrible decision will Elon have to reverse today at Twitter" :)
Haha. I actually said this was a good decision. I may have been wrong. I don’t see how this is reversible though. If you search for 🫡💙 it certainly does look like a lot of people are leaving. And we all know Twitter is the most reliable source of news.

Haha. I actually said this was a good decision. I may have been wrong. I don’t see how this is reversible though. If you search for 🫡💙 it certainly does look like a lot of people are leaving. And we all know Twitter is the most reliable source of news.

I'm reading that Twitter is literally begging key people to not leave in response to Elon's memo (as Elon literally asked them to)... if that's not a reversal, I don't know what is.

It may not be an EFFECTIVE reversal, but that's another topic.

Give it time...

Oh, I'm having great fun watching the dumpster fire roar each time Elon throws more gasoline on it in an attempt to fix it.

He should reduce Twitter to a tiny unprofitable shell of it's former self, at which time he may indeed push forward with a new culture and totally new software. That of course could have been done for about $43.9B fewer dollars by just making a social-media startup and/or buying TruthSocial :)

Status
Not open for further replies.