Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon & Twitter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
evnow : Musk said they will follow the local laws.
Response : Its not scalable.
evnow : Twitter already does this using automation.
The difference, as I mentioned upthread, is that Twitter does this now but also has broad rules that do NOT allow speech on the platform that Elon would like to enable by his original assertion.

It’s much simpler to implement “you can’t do all of these things that aren’t technically illegal, regardless of where you live, but we deem to be inappropriate” vs “we are going to allow all speech that is legal specific to the area in which the tweet was written or will be read.” The latter is a great deal more effort.

Thanks for confirming that the stock price moved in reaction to an impersonated tweet.
That is not what happened. Check the data. Lots of people claiming that is what happened but not supported by the record. The decline on Friday was not related to the Tweet.

If you want to post something suggesting otherwise, go ahead.

I’ve seen no one knowledgeable make the claim that the Tweet had a price impact.

That is not what happened. Check the data. Lots of people claiming that is what happened but not supported by the record. The decline on Friday was not related to the Tweet.

I’ve seen no one knowledgeable make the claim that the Tweet had a price impact.

One could argue this either way, but there are other problems with impersonating people and companies that go well beyond a measurable effect on stock price, such as harm to reputation, job prospects, loss of current job, etc. Sometimes the damage cannot be repaired.

It's funny how you're arguing from personal incredulity. Your data is skewed by your political orientation.

Um no, I'm explaining my observations of who actually got banned on Twitter, and what terms of service they were banned for.

By all means, if you have examples of evil-doing, bring them forward.

I know you've fallen down the "deep state is out to get me" rabbit hole, but sometimes violating the TOS on a platform is just that, and the winning move is to not break the rules or post awful stuff.

I haven't confirmed the details, but the other thing I saw was that Eli Lilly lost a patent or something which probably contributed to the bulk of the drop. Not sure, I'm sure someone will dig it up.

I think it's important to demonstrate why impersonation and misquoting is problematic. Note that I kept it light, but the Twitter mob isn't so nice.

So what you seem to be saying here is that Elon is wrong, that moderation which goes FAR beyond anything breaking a federal law is TOTALLY ok and welcome, and that platforms like Twitter SHOULD enforce all kinds of codes of conduct their users might violate. Great! Welcome aboard!

One could argue this either way, but there are other problems with impersonating people and companies that go well beyond a measurable effect on stock price, such as harm to reputation, job prospects, loss of current job, etc. Sometimes the damage cannot be repaired.
Which was exactly the point being made by the parodists. They were pointing out just how stupid the change made to Twitter Blue was.
The value was never in being selected as an authority, it was in verifying identity. To broaden it, they needed to expand verification.
If they didn't like it they should have removed it and replaced it with something completely different.

Which was exactly the point being made by the parodists. They were pointing out just how stupid the change made to Twitter Blue was.
The value was never in being selected as an authority, it was in verifying identity.

Both humor, and argumentation seems lost of these people.

They're the ones defending Elon and demanding that Twitter has been evil and wrong to prevent "free speech" on it's platform other than things that broke actual Federal law, and insist that Elon is brilliant to sell un-vetted identity certification for $8 to anyone in the world.

People then demonstrate how stupid un-vetted identity verification salesmanship is by doing some hilarious parodies with it and now team Elon-can-do-no-wrong is literally SCREAMING for more aggressive moderation, not seeing any irony at all in it :)

Looks like Elon will be adopting a more chill stance (allegedly; see follow-ups). Free-market economics at work. Gotta love capitalism.

79CAB208-BEBE-4392-98FF-085624C2FC98.jpeg

Looks like Elon will be adopting a more chill stance (allegedly; see follow-ups). Free-market economics at work. Gotta love capitalism.

View attachment 875644

I'll try to take the positive spin here and say that Elon is getting good at rapidly reversing really-stupid-decisions-that-people-told-him-were-a-bad-idea-before-he-made-them. I will however suggest that there is a more efficient processes than fail-fast-on-purpose-and-revert.

I'll try to take the positive spin here and say that Elon is getting good at rapidly reversing really-stupid-decisions-that-people-told-him-were-a-bad-idea-before-he-made-them. I will however suggest that there is a more efficient processes than fail-fast-on-purpose-and-revert.
Trust the process! I like how he says “Twitter will do lots of dumb things” rather than “I will do lots of dumb things at Twitter”
D20A3BCB-B585-4E21-A85D-2C77B37F64E7.jpeg

Last edited:
Maybe going thermonuclear on your own company isn’t the best approach.
That being said Twitter is still working great as far as I can tell. It does seem that 50% of the content is Twitter/Elon drama though.
I’ve got my TL set to not use The Algorithm, and I have narrowed it down to nearly exclusively weather predictions and earthquake reports. Also Mars Rover activities. The real value of Twitter.

He can outspend pretty much everyone on Twitter if he decides to sue them (with his team of pitbull lawyers, of course). Whether he would win or not is immaterial.
It's totally material, and filing frivolous lawsuits can cost you. There's this: California Code, Code of Civil Procedure - § 128.5

"a) A trial court may order a party, the party's attorney, or both, to pay the reasonable expenses, including attorney's fees, incurred by another party as a result of actions or tactics, made in bad faith, that are frivolous or solely intended to cause unnecessary delay."

Even worse is just the image of a guy who's worth more than $200 billion suing someone who has more than 20000-200000 times less money than he does. He's unlikely to win that one in a court of law and he sure as hell isn't going to win in the court of public opinion.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.