Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon & Twitter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
They know what it was like working for Elon pre-Twitter. My question is whether Twitter will change him a way that is detrimental to Tesla and SpaceX.
I don’t worry about Tesla too much. The company itself could be ran by a competent person now. It’s far along enough. Sales could slow in the USA if the IRA gets revoked and Elon keeps polarizing statements that people attribute to Tesla. But if the IRA stays in place Tesla will sell everything even from fully ramped production levels.

SpaceX is fine from a commercial viewpoint too….. but the mission to mars will need Elons style of leadership. Mrs Shotwell will do fine with everything else.

Reactions: Chunky Jr.
Were the employees really the problem at Twitter? It's pretty hard to see misunderstood genius in all of this. Maybe I'll end up wrong about this, but it just seems like a tragicomic series of unforced errors. And if this was somehow the desired outcome, there had to be a better way to get there.

I think the harm to Elons brand is real and will probably be lasting. The hope is that this does not have much carryover for the long term fundamentals of Tesla.
The fundamentals??? No. But investors will run the other direction. Even institutional investors will run away as they will tire of trying to explain to clients how they are involved in a company who’s CEO heads a train wreck of a company.

Not defending Elon but I seriously doubt he thought the Twitter endeavor would be so devastating to the stock price of Tesla. If he or the board don’t take some kind of public action that can assure investors that the Twitter collapse won’t suck down Tesla I think you’ll see Tesla under 50 bucks in the first quarter. The company is executing well but it is in many eyes no longer a sound investment.

The board needs to step in fast with a plan…and I have no idea what that would be. But at this point they must see the writing on the wall.

Last edited:
Sadly I don't think our Twitter "overhang" is going away anytime soon
From your comments, I'm guessing this video hasn't been posted here:-

Some of the interactions between Elon and Twitter staff are comical.

But the big takeaways are, Elon has sold enough Tesla shares to recession-proof Twitter, and Elon has big plans for Twitter.

I have seen to many say the employees of Twitter will march along side Elon like Tesla and SpaceX employees have. Such false equivalency. Elon was at Tesla and Twitter before most of the employees were. They witnessed him creating the companies. For Twitter he is a outsider walking in and telling all of them they are dumb F's and dont know what they are doing. What would stop them from just a general walkout. Maybe Elon will feet the wrath of workers for once. I have supported the fact that Tesla doesnt have a union because Tesla has treated employees well. Have said companies that treat employees well without the need of a union should be celebrated. The way Elon is running Twitter I think is really the opposite.
You really expect a different kind of management style from Elon when he brought a car company to profitability in like 100 years while also running a rocket company that's not yet bankrupt? This is exactly what I expect. He goes in, spends no time to cut cost and the biggest cost at any software company are staff and server usage.

The length of time between Meta's share collapse due to outrageous cost to the time they decided to cut staff, Elon has already finish cutting his and already addressed some of the server usage problems.

Everyone watching this on the sideline thinking this is some kind of disaster is hilarious. I am still shrinking down the time it takes Elon to hit profiability from 1 year to 6 months.

Ok I looked it up because it was easy. My recollection was correct.

There was no correlation of stock price with the fake Tweet. No connection, as this article makes clear (sort of; it is “just asking questions”):

All just fake news. Twitter 2.0 can’t come soon enough.
Did you read the article? It doesn’t say what you says it does.

The fundamentals??? No. But investors will run the other direction. Even institutional investors will run away as they will tire of trying to explain to clients how they are involved in a company who’s CEO heads a train wreck of a company.

Not defending Elon but I seriously doubt he thought the Twitter endeavor would be so devastating to the stock price of Tesla. If he or the board don’t take some kind of public action that can assure investors that the Twitter collapse won’t suck down Tesla I think you’ll see Tesla under 50 bucks in the first quarter. The company is executing well but it is in many eyes no longer a sound investment.

The board needs to step in fast with a plan…and I have no idea what that would be. But at this point they must see the writing on the wall.
If nothing fundamentally changes, and the company is still executing and growing rapidly, then in theory any dip in the stock price would represent a huge buying opportunity.

I agree with those who feel we're seeing an Elon/Twitter discount right now. Sure, there's some significant concerns with regards to recession risk and China demand, but I don't think that fully explains where we're at right now. As long as the company continues to execute, I'm in for the long haul, and I don't really care what happens to the stock price over the next 2-3 years. But if the Elon stink affects hiring at Tesla or causes people to look elsewhere for their EVs, that's a real problem.

I don't know why the Twitter narrative is leaking back into this thread, but since we're doing this:

Don't buy the hype. The Twitter offices were also locked and badge access was revoked the first time they did layoffs. This is now a second round of voluntary departures with similar measures being taken.

I'm disappointed that folks here that are otherwise rational investors are falling for the hysterics.

Elon should announce moving Twitter HQ to Texas, problem solved. He doesn't need all the extreme liberals in CA to find a competitive workforce.

This way, he can find more right-minded workers and be close to Texas. And before anyone say SV has more abundance of suitable candidates, I have to say that that is no longer true.

A buddy of mine, one of the brightest coders I've ever met is actually in Austin for the reason that he finds SV to be way too lefty for his liking. So he voted with his feet and moved to Texas. Many of his colleague with similar mentality are in Texas too.

LOL at Elon's profile after the voluntary layoffs (unsure if real, but this is hilarious):

1668739723695.png

LOL at Elon's profile after the voluntary layoffs (unsure if real, but this is hilarious):

View attachment 875713
Whether it's real or not, one could interpret the list a few ways. It could be a list of jobs that Elon is now doing. Or it could be a plea for new employees to come work at Twitter.

But most likely it's Elon's tongue and cheek criticism of the plethora of titles at Twitter.

Status
Not open for further replies.