Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon & Twitter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
No I'm seeing more misinformation because the chief twitt himself is posting it and interacting with more people promoting it. Has nothing to do with what's being deleted or not. The only "confirmation bias" is from people like yourself unwilling to see what is obviously different.

So a few tweets by Elon (I can think of only one) equals ‘I'm seeing a lot more extreme misinformation than I used to’. Okay.

I don't know any other person or company can generate this much discussion or passion without spending a dime on ad.

Meta, Instgram and other social media can only dream for this type of attention.

Sure some people will cancel their order to buy other (most likely inferior) EV but that actually fits Tesla's mission statement from day 1: to accelerate the world's transition to renewable energy.

You don't see people cancelling their Tesla order to buy a new ICE, no?

Elon is a marketing genius. Relax, go out for short hike. The world will be around and Tesla will sell every car they make in the foreseeable future.
Oh, he’s a marketing genius. We all agree on that. We just disagree on what it is he’s marketing these days.

Great thing about EMSK, if circumstances change and require a new direction, he won't hesitate to drop former decision.

IN ADDITION, he also made some MAJOR changes to TWITTER's moderation policy some may not be fully aware of. These changes were good enough for him to delete his own Tweet after realizing he was wrong.

View attachment 876476

View attachment 876481

All the folks concerned about Trump's unbanning from Twitter are missing a crucial fact: It could do more harm than good to Trump's popularity.

Twitter's new fact-checking feature, which Elon strongly supports, is being applied even to Elon. IF Trump returns to Twitter (he said he will not), fact-checkers will be all over him like white on Klan robes, quicker and more effectively than legacy media ever managed. Twitter is no longer a place where Trump can post BS without a very prominent counterpoint.

For this reason, I doubt he will leave the safety of his Truth Social platform, where he can control the narrative... unless Truth Social totally collapses (which Trump enterprises tend to do). Like all bullies and propagandists, Trump prefers situations where he won't be challenged or has an unfair advantage. Elon is leveling the Twitter playing field.

I also notice that Robert Reich and other shrill voices decrying Elon's "threat to democracy" seem to have the least faith in democracy actually working on a level playing field. Or they are ignorant about Elon's publicly stated plans, because they are prejudiced against billionaires and don't want to listen.

As I've opined before, a great thing about freedom of speech is it shows you who the speaker is.

The paranoid "Elon is killing Tesla" and "Twitter is dead" crowd have completely lost it. Seriously, this kind of closed-minded thinking has no place on a Tesla Investment forum. This thread seems to be just a place for trolls to air their dirty laundry. And it stinks... But I guess it needs to go somewhere.

And why am I compelled to visit? Well, it's quite entertaining.

This is not accurate based on actual data available.

In last 24 hours problems have been roughly 10x-30x times average levels reported depending on time of day.

This IS a small improvement from the previous 24 hours where it was 10x-40x average levels, but still way worse than average.

The % of distribution of the problems (app, website, or server) remained roughly the same though between the two days.

None of this means "OMG TWITTER IS GOING DARK TOMORROW" of course as Ogre keeps trying to project onto the totally-not-claiming-that arguments some are making here.... but it does mean the service has had measurably, significantly, more technical and functional problems since most of the staff no longer works there.

This is not the most accurate data, and you know it. Downdetector only shows "reported outages" from clients unable to reach the site. These could be DNS resolution problems (not Twitter's fault), ISP problems, latency issues (core fiber transit problems), and finally server problems (the category that actually IS twitter).

Per the link you provided, I can only see the last 24 hours. I would like to see 7, 30 and 90 days graphs for reported outages to see if there really is a blip. The 24h data graphed right now . . . not impressive to support your claims.

Twitter's new fact-checking feature

which is not actually new and has been around in various forms for a few years now.

IF Trump returns to Twitter (he said he will not), fact-checkers will be all over him like white on Klan robes, quicker and more effectively than legacy media ever managed.

Yes. Clearly it was not enough fact checking that was the previous problem with dealing with Trump. If only there's been sufficient quick fact checking of his claims by someone, a thing there CERTAINLY WAS NOT ALREADY INSANELY HUGE AMOUNTS OF FOR YEARS THAT DID NOT HELP AT ALL.

That TOTALLY makes the slightest bit of sense and COMPLETLEY matches actual reality that everyone has seen for years.

No... wait... the opposite of that.

I would strongly encourage you to look up brandolini's law.

(which honestly both Elon and James Holden are in desperate need of understanding as well)

Last edited:
Are you implying that the remaining H1B employees aren’t good or excellent workers? That there just leftovers?

Because I can make a pretty good argument for them. They’ve left their homelands, left behind family and friends to come to the US to work, to build a life, some may even be wanting to become full time US residents and eventually citizens. They had to possess skills equal to or greater than other US engineers for Twitter to go to the legal and relocation hassle and expenses.
Hmmm ...

H1B visas themselfs are so small in number, they get filled within hours of opening for the year. But, unlike in the old days, H1B workers can transfer "easily".

But good engineer are obviously more likely to get a transfer (i.e. they have to get a job in another company that is willing to transfer visa) than the average ones. Average ones may also need to just transfer to a contracting company that will pay them less.

So, the chances of good H1B engineers moving out are higher than average ones. But, between H1B holders vs Green Card holders (or citizens), obviously H1B holders are more like to stay because of the extra hassle and risk. If they can't find another (equivalent) job with 60 days they will be out of status and required to go back to their home country.

This is not the most accurate data, and you know it.

No, I don't know that. Neither do you.

But surely if you claim you DO then you have MORE accurate data right?

Please show it.

Downdetector only shows "reported outages" from clients unable to reach the site. These could be DNS resolution problems (not Twitter's fault), ISP problems, latency issues (core fiber transit problems), and finally server problems (the category that actually IS twitter).

You appear to have not actually read the data you claim isn't accurate, since it actually breaks down the types of issues some....including, specifically, server problems as its own category.

Maybe actually read a source before telling us you don't think it's correct?

Per the link you provided, I can only see the last 24 hours. I would like to see 7, 30 and 90 days graphs for reported outages to see if there really is a blip. The 24h data graphed right now . . . not impressive to support your claims.

Again you appear to have not read most of the source.

It's graphing the last 24 hours and also the long term average

Specifically the average over the previous 1 full year.

It's just that the long term average is SO MUCH LOWER in #s of problems than the last 24 hours it's a little hard to see.

But as I explained, it's 10x-30x more problems in the last 24 hours than on average long term (well, there was ONE 43x average spike around 2am...)

Which is slightly improved from the PREVIOUS 24 hours that was 10x-40x more than long term average that I posted about the day before with the >30x stuff being more than just a single spike...

So yes, there really is a blip since most of the staff quit. A fairly large one.

But again if you think you have BETTER data- show it.

Last edited:
All the folks concerned about Trump's unbanning from Twitter are missing a crucial fact: It could do more harm than good to Trump's popularity.

Twitter's new fact-checking feature, which Elon strongly supports, is being applied even to Elon. IF Trump returns to Twitter (he said he will not), fact-checkers will be all over him like white on Klan robes, quicker and more effectively than legacy media ever managed. Twitter is no longer a place where Trump can post BS without a very prominent counterpoint.

There has been no new feature post-Elon so far.
What you are referring to has existed for years and was simply renamed when elon took over..

Last edited:
Spot on. Trump is the kind of person that if you give him enough rope, he's going to hang himself.
Didn't hurt him at all in '16. No reason why it should now. Anyway, doesn't matter.

Trump has a very clear sense of who is loyal to him. Musk is not - since he mentioned De Santis .... So, Trump won't return to Twitter - he will just keep mocking Musk.

1668984670108.png

No, I don't know that. Neither do you.

But surely if you claim you DO then you have MORE accurate data right?

Please show it.

You appear to have not actually read the data you claim isn't accurate, since it actually breaks down the types of issues some....including, specifically, server problems as its own category.

Maybe actually read a source before telling us you don't think it's correct?

Again you appear to have not read most of the source.

It's graphing the last 24 hours and also the long term average

Specifically the average over the previous 1 full year.

It's just that the long term average is SO MUCH LOWER in #s of problems than the last 24 hours it's a little hard to see.

But as I explained, it's 10x-30x more problems in the last 24 hours than on average long term.

Which is slightly improved from the PREVIOUS 24 hours that was 10x-40x more than long term average that I posted about the day before.

So yes, there really is a blip since most of the staff quit. A fairly large one.

But again if you think you have BETTER data- show it.

Are you always this way? All I did was ask for some more data, I wasn't a prick. What's so hard about that request? I don't think the source is very reliable, and I've said as much. I would at least like to see their long-term graphs. They used to show these, but I can't find them.

You are making the claim that downtime is up. As you FREQUENTLY tell people here, if you make the claim (your claim was the original, YOU should back it up).

I run services out of 6 datacenters, and I don't ever trust downtime detector. I run my own monitoring for my services, the comes from multiple points spread throughout the world. Downtime detector will spike "downtime" for everything it "monitors" (which are just user reports, not actual server-level monitoring) when an ISP such as Comcast has problems (this one is notorious - THE most unreliable ISP in all the country). Downtime detector just doesn't have a very good track record because it doesn't filter out any noise.

ASIDE from your claims above, I haven't seen reports anywhere else on the internet of increased service reliability problems with Twitter.

Last edited:
There IS always a CHOICE. ALWAYS. A person doesn’t have to like the choices available to them. The choices may not be easy or particularly pleasant, but they exist.
The point everyone is trying to make is that the obvious choice for H1B's is to click the button to stay on and then start looking for another job. My impression is that H1B's value job security more than most employees, something they're not going to get at Elon's Twitter.

which is not actually new and has been around in various forms for a few years now.
Not according to the Wired article I just reposted. What is your source?

Yes. Clearly it was not enough fact checking that was the previous problem with dealing with Trump. If only there's been sufficient quick fact checking of his claims by someone, a thing there CERTAINLY WAS NOT ALREADY INSANELY HUGE AMOUNTS OF FOR YEARS THAT DID NOT HELP AT ALL.

That TOTALLY makes the slightest bit of sense and COMPLETLEY matches actual reality that everyone has seen for years.

No... wait... the opposite of that.
What I have seen for years (or rather read about) is Trump lying on Fox News and other media with huge reach, with zero fact-checking at the time. Do you see no difference between that and Elon's vision for Twitter?

Not according to the Wired article I just reposted. What is your source?

What I have seen for years (or rather read about) is Trump lying on Fox News and other media with huge reach, with zero fact-checking at the time. Do you see no difference between that and Elon's vision for Twitter?
“Elon’s vision for Twitter” is a pretty good punchline.
Or maybe a name for a thrash metal band….

Status
Not open for further replies.