Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon & Twitter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Tremendous damage is likely. Just in the people that I know who had deliveries coming up very soon. My sister cancelled the day before her delivery and I personally know 3 others who cancelled and one who sold her Model S. All of these lost customers were telling me based on Elon's actions. In the case of two of these people, they are Jewish and cancelled on Elon's meme of him with Trump and Kanye. So, I am one person but I have seen personally 4 lost customers. Imagine the big picture? I invested mostly because of the Tesla Mission. These antics do nothing to help the "Mission"
Ok you triggered me. I’m pretty sure your post will get deleted, so I’m going to try hard to stay on the investors’ side of the line. I fit your model, with the characteristics you cited. Don’t have an order pending, but I just bought more shares. Have family that will likely be getting cars in the next year or so, and they make me look reactionary if you get my drift and are even more aligned with your perspective. If they can swing a Tesla, they will undoubtedly buy one - and if we are able to help them, we will. Pls consider this another data point. I am sure I can find more.

That is not a counter. It’s meaningless.
I have never in my life heard of customers canceling a car purchase because of the ceo’s actions. OP cited four cases. I personally know three. Attempting to quantify the overall effect would be anecdotal but the mere fact that ceo actions are becoming a buyer consideration is meaningful because that almost never happens normally.

Female buyers in the Bay Area of all places are canceling Tesla orders or refusing to consider the brand as a direct result of Elon’s actions. That is a fact.

Hopefully it will blow over

Female SF buyers don't want Tesla anymore? Old asian people in my community are buying Teslas like crazy. They will take them! Unlike woke females, old asian people just want cost efficient driving machines :)

I think the old Asian people still outnumber woek females at the moment, so I think that will carry us for a few quarters.

Isn't anecdotal opinion, when employed to represent any greater scope, a kind of metaphor for the reasoning of one Lemming to follow another off the cliff?

If A commenter knows people who have cancelled orders because of elon, that is not an opinion, it is a fact.
It is a meaningful fact because it represent something that should never happen under normal circumstances.
The ceo antics should never under normal circumstances be part of any buyers consideration

Hard for me to step up and acknowledge any opinion as if it were fact. Particularly if there has not been shown actual numbers to support such curious notions. For instance, the way @Gigapress has done to refute others sharing them as if they are substantiated fact.

I will look forward for anyone to take the time to spell out what supports this opinion by presenting factual data. Only then can your question be answered. Bringing data proving that half the country has been alienated will be an interesting presentation.

Will that half include all persons (men, women, children), or only those within a certain age range?

Personally, I would not touch acknowledgement of any such guess with a 420 meter pole. ;)

Elon may have said and done things that have tainted his image. I don't see anyone outside a highly vocal, yet small minority, casting shade upon his companies over such trifles. It isn't as if the number of people who actually have some knowledge of who Elon is aren't also expectant of him to make a gaffe every now and again. It is what he does. He is easy to forgive, for most, and the good he does far outweighs his special moments.

Of the small percentage of people who are even aware, it seems unlikely any significant majority of that minority would take to the streets with pitchforks and torches looking for Elon as if he were Dr. Frankenstein's monster. Though, those who do will do it loudly.

This in no way indicates others share their point of view.
No "pitchforks" :) just people i know who are cancelling orders, and my partner who says she doesn't want to own ours anymore. Many on social media are saying the same (Unscientific poll. :) Musk good at those. Ha!) Obviously demand outstrips supply and will for quite a while. Obviously the market is expanding and tesla has the best products. Will be difficult to demonstrate with statistics the impact of Musk's actions, but i just think he is working against the goal of Tesla in this regard. I also think its more than a "small minority"

No pitchforks :))) just people i know who are cancelling orders, and my partner who says she doesn't want to own ours anymore. Many on social media are saying the same (Unscientific poll. :) Musk good at those. Ha!) Obviously demand outstrips supply and will for quite a while. Obviously the market is expanding and tesla has the best products. Will be difficult to demonstrate with statistics the impact of Musk's actions, but i just think he is working against the goal of Tesla in this regard. I also think its more than a "small minority"

So the waitlist for people who want the cars gets shorter and those who cancelled will buy something else, deal with the shitty state of CCS (or CHAdeMo) charging, eventually get sick of it and slink back in line to get a Tesla.

Sounds like WINNING to me.

Reactions: Spacep0d
If A commenter knows people who have cancelled orders because of elon, that is not an opinion, it is a fact.
It is a meaningful fact because it represent something that should never happen under normal circumstances.
The ceo antics should never under normal circumstances be part of any buyers consideration

Honestly, "should never happen" is your stance?

All my life I have been told by people all the ridiculous reasons they have decided not to buy this or that thing.

It happens all the time. It is not significant.

Tremendous damage is likely. Just in the people that I know who had deliveries coming up very soon. My sister cancelled the day before her delivery and I personally know 3 others who cancelled and one who sold her Model S. All of these lost customers were telling me based on Elon's actions. In the case of two of these people, they are Jewish and cancelled on Elon's meme of him with Trump and Kanye. So, I am one person but I have seen personally 4 lost customers. Imagine the big picture? I invested mostly because of the Tesla Mission. These antics do nothing to help the "Mission"
Pearl Harbor, Japanese cars next. Any thoughts?

Gene, you are not making much sense here. For the sake of argument, assume your theory that Elon is actually reducing demand is correct. Reduced demand leads to price cuts, not reduced sales. That makes EV's more affordable which means people of lower income can buy them. Reliable statistics inform that lower income people have longer commutes, therefore lower prices would displace more fossil fuels. That is the mission - to get off fossil fuels as quickly as possible.

Additionally, liberals will buy EV's because it aligns with their political identities. But the mission is to get everyone to transition to sustainable energies. How are the recent kerfluffles not assisting the mission in achieving more broad-based support?

You can sleep well knowing the mission has never been in a better position. Your friends are the real losers here as they don't have a new Tesla to greet them every morning!

No "pitchforks" :) just people i know who are cancelling orders, and my partner who says she doesn't want to own ours anymore. Many on social media are saying the same (Unscientific poll. :) Musk good at those. Ha!) Obviously demand outstrips supply and will for quite a while. Obviously the market is expanding and tesla has the best products. Will be difficult to demonstrate with statistics the impact of Musk's actions, but i just think he is working against the goal of Tesla in this regard. I also think its more than a "small minority"
I believe all of the anecdotal stories about cancelled orders, but like many have said, there may be others who have decided to purchase because of the antics.
I guess we won't see anymore jackasses in big pickup trucks blocking access to Tesla charging stations anymore! :p

Ok you triggered me. I’m pretty sure your post will get deleted, so I’m going to try hard to stay on the investors’ side of the line. I fit your model, with the characteristics you cited. Don’t have an order pending, but I just bought more shares. Have family that will likely be getting cars in the next year or so, and they make me look reactionary if you get my drift and are even more aligned with your perspective. If they can swing a Tesla, they will undoubtedly buy one - and if we are able to help them, we will. Pls consider this another data point. I am sure I can find more.

That means nothing because that is what is supposed to happen. If only 5% of buyers have changed their Minds due to Elon, that 5% is more meaningful than the 95% because it did not have to happen.

I could counter this by telling you there’s half a dozen new Teslæ on my block alone in the last two quarters. — But that would be just as anecdotal as your personal experience.

You live in Texas? So, are you saying Elon is adjusting demand for Tesla cars towards a more conservative demographic that will naturally require less transportation/delivery costs as GigaAustin ramps up? ka-Ching!

Brilliant! /s

Pearl Harbor, Japanese cars next. Any thoughts?
How many years between Pearl Harbor and Japanese car explosion in US?
Please god, let's hope it don't take that long to recover from his dumb posts. Ha!

P.S. Japanese learned from their "mistakes". How do i say this, ahhh... somehow i don't think
that will be quite true of Elon...! :)

Last edited:
You live in Texas? So, are you saying Elon is adjusting demand for Tesla cars towards a more conservative demographic that will naturally require less transportation/delivery costs as GigaAustin ramps up?

Brilliant! /s
I’m not saying anything. Just a personal anecdote not much different (besides outcome) than the poster I responded to.

Reactions: DrGriz
…..For Tesla to succeed, it cannot be hated and despised by half of adult Americans……
Ummm - TSLA ‘succeeded’ when it was mocked and criticized in years past by the 52% of the people that voted thumbs up in Elon’s poll over the weekend. Elon and Tesla succeeded despite the majority pushing back. Now it is only the angriest minority of the 48% that voted thumbs down in Elon’s poll that are hating and despising Elon. Statistically speaking it will be bluer skies ahead (no Twitter pun intended).

That means nothing because that is what is supposed to happen. If only 5% of buyers have changed their Minds due to Elon, that 5% is more meaningful than the 95% because it did not have to happen.
Until you add in another 5% of buyers that changed their mind opposite and bought. (because of something Elon said)

This is why such an argument is meaningless if a trend cannot be shown using data.

It is a (limited) thought experiment which includes one variable and leaves out others that may affect the balance. If you are going to form an opinion based upon presumption, then take the time to presume more possibilities. Only then will it become clear how such ideas cannot be supported at a larger scale.

Hard for me to step up and acknowledge any opinion as if it were fact. Particularly if there has not been shown actual numbers to support such curious notions. For instance, the way @Gigapress has done to refute others sharing them as if they are substantiated fact.

I will look forward for anyone to take the time to spell out what supports this opinion by presenting factual data. Only then can your question be answered. Bringing data proving that half the country has been alienated will be an interesting presentation.

Will that half include all persons (men, women, children), or only those within a certain age range?

Personally, I would not touch acknowledgement of any such guess with a 420 meter pole. ;)

Elon may have said and done things that have tainted his image. I don't see anyone outside a highly vocal, yet small minority, casting shade upon his companies over such trifles. It isn't as if the number of people who actually have some knowledge of who Elon is aren't also expectant of him to make a gaffe every now and again. It is what he does. He is easy to forgive, for most, and the good he does far outweighs his special moments.

Of the small percentage of people who are even aware, it seems unlikely any significant majority of that minority would take to the streets with pitchforks and torches looking for Elon as if he were Dr. Frankenstein's monster. Though, those who do will do it loudly.

This in no way indicates others share their point of view.

I'm very unhappy with Elon's distraction but that said, here's some data from yougov.

1. The vast majority of people know about Elon and have an opinion about him. Less 10% don't know about him, and of the rest, 78% have an opinion of him.

2. His recent popularity in Q3 has dropped to 40% from a peak of 44% in Q2, which breaks an uptrend that started Q3 2021.

3. People are evenly split on whether he's doing a good job with Twitter as CEO.

There's lots more from their polls, so everyone can decide for themselves what it means, and how likely it is to impact Tesla longer term.

Status
Not open for further replies.