Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon & Twitter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
A couple of serious questions:

For those who steadfastly support Musk - what will you say if the poll comes out against him? Will you dismiss it as bots, haters or naysayers? If it comes out supporting him, does that prove anything?

For those who see Musk making huge mistakes - what will you say if the poll comes out for him? Is it just all the fanboys and bots? What will you say if it comes out against him? “I told you so?” How do you reconcile that with the view that many people have about Musk’s poll letting Trump back on Twitter? If you dismissed that poll then you need to dismiss this poll, too.

In the end the poll is meaningless. The many of the people who disapprove may have left twitter, there’s no way to make it random or representative or to even ensure the people voting are real. What will happen with the results, no matter what they are, is people will interpret and/or spin them to align with whatever view they already had.

Right now, all I can say is I think the poll isn't getting enough visualization. The vote count is not impressive.

A couple of serious questions:

For those who steadfastly support Musk - what will you say if the poll comes out against him? Will you dismiss it as bots, haters or naysayers? If it comes out supporting him, does that prove anything?

For those who see Musk making huge mistakes - what will you say if the poll comes out for him? Is it just all the fanboys and bots? What will you say if it comes out against him? “I told you so?” How do you reconcile that with the view that many people have about Musk’s poll letting Trump back on Twitter? If you dismissed that poll then you need to dismiss this poll, too.

In the end the poll is meaningless. The many of the people who disapprove may have left twitter, there’s no way to make it random or representative or to even ensure the people voting are real. What will happen with the results, no matter what they are, is people will interpret and/or spin them to align with whatever view they already had.
you haven't paid much attention over the last few years... the logic is: if the poll / election / whatever goes the way I want it to go = victory fair & square ! the will of the people ! ... if the poll/ election / whatever has me losing = it's rigged ! fraud ! bots !

The poll is fine. It's more meaningful if Musks followers give him a disapproval so then he can take it to heart. Not to mention it'll have way more votes.

Musk has 100M+ followers. That poll has 40k votes. I would say most of his followers, and most on Twitter in general, haven't seen it.

So, it's really about the audience of that particular user, Political Polls. If they are followed by a group with one leaning or another, that's how I expect them to vote. Not saying it's rigged, just that's natural human inclination, is to seek out things which reinforce one's existing beliefs.

I don't care one way or another, as I don't expect it to sway Musk. And frankly Twitter is now, effectively, his private property. Within the bounds of the law, he can pretty much tell us all to piss off, he's going to do things his way.

Musk’s actions have done TREMENDOUS damage to the brand. It’s affecting demand now and in the future. You guys have to wake up and face this reality. It’s overwhelmingly, blindingly evident, and ignoring that fact isn’t doing anyone, including yourselves, any good.

For Tesla to succeed, it cannot be hated and despised by half of adult Americans. But that’s what Musk is doing to the brand. It’s incredibly stupid and damaging. These statements are purely from an objective investor standpoint, irrespective of political bent.
Tremendous damage is likely. Just in the people that I know who had deliveries coming up very soon. My sister cancelled the day before her delivery and I personally know 3 others who cancelled and one who sold her Model S. All of these lost customers were telling me based on Elon's actions. In the case of two of these people, they are Jewish and cancelled on Elon's meme of him with Trump and Kanye. So, I am one person but I have seen personally 4 lost customers. Imagine the big picture? I invested mostly because of the Tesla Mission. These antics do nothing to help the "Mission"

you haven't paid much attention over the last few years... the logic is: if the poll / election / whatever goes the way I want it to go = victory fair & square ! the will of the people ! ... if the poll/ election / whatever has me losing = it's rigged ! fraud ! bots !

Yeah, but this is human nature. People WANT to ascribe it to one political party or the other, to fit their narrative, but in the end its just human nature. BOTH sides do it.

Labels are just words for ideas or philosophical positions. The word 'Elon' can evoke a strong reaction these days because he means different things to different people based on their perception. Demographics, right?

Attempting to claim that I'm 'othering' someone is shaming language meant to have a chilling effect on speech. You've made labeling a precursor to hate, which is an unfair slippery slope argument. Nobody's doing anything but exchanging ideas in this thread. Labeling is just shorthand for ideas or philosophy, political or otherwise.

Labels come in many forms and again it's just shorthand. Even a factual label like 'billionaire' is often used as a slur, depending on the use and context. The word feminist describes a set of ideas, and gender feminist vs. equity feminist clarifies it further. TERF is still another offshoot. These are meant to clarify one's position, not 'other', and sometimes people misapply labels wittingly or otherwise.

I make a distinction between Leftist and liberal. I am a center-left liberal. I am not a Leftist or Marxist. Words have meaning, and I didn't invent these labels. People often come up with their own labels to define a set of ideas.

Of course all of us in this thread use labels as shorthand for political and philosophical positions like many other words we use. How could anyone avoid them? If you have a strong position about political ideology, you need to know how to define those with whom you disagree, because they have labels for you. I've even clarified my own labels a few times to indicate my political orientation.

One of the main points of contention in this thread is Elon and the unfair labels (and worse) thrown at him. I've been defending Elon heavily in this thread, and labels help describe why different groups perceive him so differently.

Anyone is free to discuss the idea and clarify a label, or even change their mind. Our own General Election (or any election and its candidates) use labels! Dem vs. Republican. Blue vs. Red. Liberal vs. Conservative, left vs. right, and so it goes.

Sometimes we might discuss a new or less popular label just to clarify terms, as expected.

We're all just talking here.
Sure .....but as a thought exercise next time you read about "radical Leftist" insert the word humans. Or "MAGA fascist do the same.

Words have meaning of course as does intent.
IF we are in a dialog with mutual respect then labels may serve a purpose.
But my point is to generate the passion or put another way "throw red meat to the base"... well that does not work well if we call each other humans.

Tremendous damage is likely. Just in the people that I know who had deliveries coming up very soon. My sister cancelled the day before her delivery and I personally know 3 others who cancelled and one who sold her Model S. All of these lost customers were telling me based on Elon's actions. In the case of two of these people, they are Jewish and cancelled on Elon's meme of him with Trump and Kanye. So, I am one person but I have seen personally 4 lost customers. Imagine the big picture? I invested mostly because of the Tesla Mission. These antics do nothing to help the "Mission"
I could counter this by telling you there’s half a dozen new Teslæ on my block alone in the last two quarters. — But that would be just as anecdotal as your personal experience.

Oh, good, post up the numbers.

Looking forward to seeing more data on this.
Seriously......Will keep this post on point in relation to Tesla and it's demand.

But Twitter worldwide MAU base is a fraction of the population of the United States. It's 1/10th the population of the US........1/10th of JUST the US population.

The % of the MAU that are actually active on daily basis is a fraction of that. The % of MAU that are vocal Elon critics/haters are a fraction of that. To those that think Elon's action on Twitter have a big material impact on demand.......math isn't on your side here 🤷‍♂️
Anecdotal evidence from your circle is rather pointless. Last time I checked....Tesla just hit 10k deliveries in Israel........the second fastest to 10k delivery on record for all countries

And they went and bought . . . ? Seriously, I want to know what company. If it is any company with an ICE history, there is LITERALLY blood on their hands.

Rivian? Lucid? Honestly, only 2 I can think of that might now have the "social standing" in regards to the mission that Tesla does (even with Musk and Twitter's issues).

No wonder every company change their logo to rainbow color for gay pride day/week/month (not sure which one it is). People actually cancel purchases for stuff like that?

You don't see how you are all up in there in that cancel culture huh?

I could counter this by telling you there’s half a dozen new Teslæ on my block alone in the last two quarters. — But that would be just as anecdotal as your personal experience.

That is not a counter. It’s meaningless.
I have never in my life heard of customers canceling a car purchase because of the ceo’s actions. OP cited four cases. I personally know three. Attempting to quantify the overall effect would be anecdotal but the mere fact that ceo actions are becoming a buyer consideration is meaningful because that almost never happens normally.

Female buyers in the Bay Area of all places are canceling Tesla orders or refusing to consider the brand as a direct result of Elon’s actions. That is a fact.

Hopefully it will blow over

I have never in my life heard of customers canceling a car purchase because of the ceo’s actions. OP cited four cases. I personally know three. Attempting to quantify the overall effect would be anecdotal but the mere fact that ceo actions are becoming a buyer consideration is meaningful because that almost never happens normally
For every person you know that cancelled their order, how do you know there isn't a person that placed an order?

Do you see why saying "I know 2 people that cancelled is completely pointless?"

Google is your friend. Simply Google international favorability of said identity. Pretty glaringly obvious he is far more despised outside USA.

So, you didn't actually see this information yourself then?

The thing that is glaringly obvious is the absence of corroborating data to support such statements.

I have never in my life heard of customers canceling a car purchase because of the ceo’s actions. OP cited four cases. I personally know three. Attempting to quantify the overall effect would be anecdotal but the mere fact that ceo actions are becoming a buyer consideration is meaningful because that almost never happens normally
If true that's a major shame. Companies like VW, Hyundai, and most of the rest have been caught at various times cheating emissions. This literally kills people. That's on top of all of legacy auto spending countless millions/billions fighting climate change action and even general safety guidelines.

It's wild that people will pretend to virtue signal over Elon's stupid tweets (and they are stupid, it's not 3d chess) because they were told to be mad by the media, only to ignore all the rest. They will post "I'm doing the thing!" on Twitter and then get into their gas car that funnels money directly to the Saudis and Russians.

Status
Not open for further replies.