Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon & Twitter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The way Elon is going full alt-right, there is little chance of Twitter getting back ad revenue. I just hope Twitter doesn't take down Tesla with it.

The Twitter takeover and now these polls are starting to look more and more like the script of an old British film, The Rise and Rise of Michael Rimmer, from 1970. With Elon playing the part of Rimmer who takes over a failing media business and then starts polling the general public on everything. Old timers in the UK may remember it. In the film it doesn't end well for democracy!

So what exactly is going to happen?

Please tell me its not unbanning every single previously banned account???

There are obvious examples of illegal behaviour (That have broken actual laws, not just twitter rules) that should absolutely 100% not be reinstated.
Dude. He already reinstated Project Veritas…And this is a step beyond. Illegal won’t make the cut …but it would take ton of moderators Twitter doesn’t have and months to look far enough into each case to determine if it violated a federal or municipal law in Saudi/Moldova/Ghana

So what exactly is going to happen?

Please tell me its not unbanning every single previously banned account???

There are obvious examples of illegal behaviour (That have broken actual laws, not just twitter rules) that should absolutely 100% not be reinstated.
Twitter 2.0, where rules apply to *everyone*, not just “infidels”.

Never thought I’d see Tom Fitton on TMC.
I dare that idiot to call me. That guy is a scourge on society and if he ever does, I'll say worse things to him than I said to the AT&T rep after AT&T literally shut off all service to my SIM because I swapped it into a new phone (I couldn't even call them using that phone to tell them that there was a problem, and on top of that, the whole point of having a SIM card is that you can put it in different devices). Of all the spam emails I've been getting, Tom Fitton's are some of the worst. And I never once signed up to receive the crap he sends out. Now technically, I don't think sending completely unsolicited email is illegal (they're simply required to stop after you opt-out, but they're allowed to start sending you crap out of the blue) but if this is the type of guy Elon's going to be letting back on Twitter, then Twitter is just begging for me to boycott them and not even bother clicking links and reading threads when they're linked from other places.

Last edited:
Dude. He already reinstated Project Veritas…And this is a step beyond. Illegal won’t make the cut …but it would take ton of moderators Twitter doesn’t have and months to look far enough into each case to determine if it violated a federal or municipal law in Saudi/Moldova/Ghana
Im talking about more universal crimes illegal in any country, such as child abuse and death threats.

The way Elon is going full alt-right, there is little chance of Twitter getting back ad revenue. I just hope Twitter doesn't take down Tesla with it.

yeah.

Advertisers have clearly told Elon that their main concern is content moderation under the new regime.

Elon responds by attacking them, and saying that he plans to literally unblock every hate speecher, abuser, mis-informationer that Twitter ever found reason to lock out.

Exactly what do you figure that'll do to advertiser confidence in wanting their brand on the platform in the near term?

And when the inevitable "Oh, I didn't really mean release ALL the horrible abusers on Twitter, just well, some of them, the ones I like mostly, so why is everyone upset?" reversal comes.... again where do you figure Advertiser confidence will be?

Tesla's board can make sure that Twitter doesn't take Tesla down by removing Elon as CEO. For now, they appear to be trying to fend off shareholder anger by trying to approve stock buybacks but that's only going to work for so long before the shareholders start making new demands.

“Opening the gates of hell’: Musk says he will revive banned accounts

The Twitter chief says he will reinstate accounts suspended for harassment, abuse and misinformation beginning next week.”
— from The Post today

Game on.
Does it mean the "Antifa" accounts that were mentioned recently banned would be unbanned also? Or put more generally, would it unban all such accounts (regardless if they were only recently banned) effective next week, or would it only be accounts that were not banned after Elon took over?

Last edited:
Reactions: aubreymcfato
Were they banned for clear violations under the new management?

If so, probably not and neither should they be.
If the idea is that it's a "reset" next week and then all accounts are evaluated under new less strict rules, they should be unbanned and then reevaluated under the new rules.

Those accounts were banned under older rules carried over from "old Twitter". From the conversation above, the new rules would be not be as strict.

Last edited:
Reactions: aubreymcfato
If the idea is that it's a "reset" next week and then all accounts are evaluated under new less strict rules, they should be unbanned and the reevaluated under the new rules.

Those accounts were banned under older rules carried over from "old Twitter". From the conversation above, the new rules would be not be as strict.
Does anybody know what the new rules actually are though?

Or will they be transparent and fairly applied unlike Twitter.gov of old?

These are the new rules (but with Elon speaking instead of Denzel Washington):

They should just update the rules page that says the rules are whatever Elon says they are, and he can and will change his mind at any time.

Who knows? That's for Elon to announce. To be clear however, I just compared the Twitter rules page from months ago to the one right now, there are literally zero changes. So up to now the rules have not been changed yet.

Who knows? That's for Elon to announce. To be clear however, I just compared the Twitter rules page from months ago to the one right now, there are literally zero changes. So up to now the rules have not been changed yet.

It's just that the person who handled edits to the rules page was fired and no one knows how to update it ;)

One would assume that letting everyone-who-was-ever-banned-for-bad-behavior back in MiGHT involve some minor differences to rules enforcement

The main problem Twitter of old faced was when government entities tweeting things that clearly violated the policies. So, they made a "government exception" ... which they apparently rescinded for Trump after insurrection.

They say they didn't ban Trump earlier even though he clearly violated the rules multiple times. I saw it shows what cowards they were. Only banned him after making sure a new President had been confirmed.

Yeah because real-world AI being solved for FSD is so easy, or SpaceX landing boosters on their struts. That's child's play. Everyone was doing that before Tesla did it.....or not.
I don’t fault Tesla for not having FSD done - that’s cutting edge and more difficult than many give them credit for.

The crappy UI and infotainment interface, however I totally fault them for. Poorly designed and buggy - that they should be embarrassed over.

Single data point:

Just had Thanksgiving dinner, which is a big production for my wife's family (over 100 people). There were about a 8-9 Tesla's parked outside.

Lots of conversation about various subjects, but when Tesla came up, the ONLY thing anyone was taking about was:
1) How fast the cars are
2) The features not found in any other car
3) Autopilot and FSD beta

No one mentioned Elon or Twitter.

Tesla's going to be fine. Better than fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.