Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon & Twitter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Media lies. Twitter to the rescue

1680839823940.png

C-level executives ARE worried about their brands and customers being damaged by associating with the new Twitter under Musk.

And Musk IS chasing advertising dollars despite his previous stated stance of winding down advertising in favor of a subscription model.

Elon Musk's 'Racist Rhetoric' Weighed by Advertisers Before Meeting Twitter CEO

The billionaire plans to lure advertisers back during a speaking engagement at MMA Global’s Possible marketing conference in Miami on April 18. However, a private email thread, obtained by Semafor, reveals that many major advertisers remain skeptical of the Chief Twit.

For many communities, his willingness to leverage success and personal financial resources to further an agenda under the guise of freedom of speech is perpetuating racism resulting [in] direct threats to their communities and a potential for brand safety compromise we should all be concerned about,” wrote Tariq Hassan, McDonald’s chief marketing and customer experience officer.

Colgate-Palmolive’s vice president and general manager of consumer experience and growth, Diana Haussling, wrote, “While I am a huge supporter of free speech and enterprise we can not ignore the impact of such hate speech. I especially can’t ignore it as a black woman.”

Kristi Argyilan, the senior vice president of retail media at the grocery giant Albertsons, pointed out the risks and responsibility of “giving Elon Musk a stage,” adding, “we have signed up to broker an important discussion that must be managed with the utmost of care and respect for those most harmed by his actions and inactions.”

Although it wasn’t clear what incidents the executives were referring to, in February, the Twitter CEO defended the cartoonist behind the syndicated comic Dilbert following racist remarks made by the strip’s cartoonist Scott Adams.

Since taking control of the platform in October, Musk has also welcomed back several previously banned bigots including neo-Nazi Andrew Anglin, Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene (who was suspended last year for repeatedly violating the site’s Covid-19 misinformation policy at the time), and white supremacist Nick Fuentes.

I mean, it is free.

I think all this back and forth and like you mention, yeah, why leave when it's free? Until we see full numbers reported of people willing to shell out $1000/month from news orgs or people ponying up a lot of $$, there really is no reason to leave and it still doesn't change the fact that the Twitter business is probably still struggling from the model of throwing things on the wall to see what sticks.

Views/retweets != $$ and until advertisers come back in full swing, I think they have a long way to go. Not easy when you have a large segment of the population not liking Elon when he's tweeting a lot.

The stock options published in emails state the valuation is at $20 billion vs. $44 for what he paid. He has a lot of lawsuits pending which is a distraction, negative press, etc.

I still haven't see notable financial positives of the business no matter how much folks are still using it.

Reactions: advocate8
I think all this back and forth and like you mention, yeah, why leave when it's free? Until we see full numbers reported of people willing to shell out $1000/month from news orgs or people ponying up a lot of $$, there really is no reason to leave and it still doesn't change the fact that the Twitter business is probably still struggling from the model of throwing things on the wall to see what sticks.

Views/retweets != $$ and until advertisers come back in full swing, I think they have a long way to go. Not easy when you have a large segment of the population not liking Elon when he's tweeting a lot.

The stock options published in emails state the valuation is at $20 billion vs. $44 for what he paid. He has a lot of lawsuits pending which is a distraction, negative press, etc.

I still haven't see notable financial positives of the business no matter how much folks are still using it.
He can absolutely straighten it out, keep it on its feet etc. He has the intellectual capacity, but perhaps not the wisdom. The moves he's making the “own the libs” crowds are cheering aren’t helping not matter how excited they get and how much they want to believe. It’s just not good business to “own” large groups of people.
The business model he’s trying to develop seemingly on the fly COULD outweigh the downsides and make it profitable regardless of writing off large segments of the potential market.
We’re still months or years away from knowing that, though.

There are models for this. There is also Myspace.

Reactions: DrGriz
C-level executives ARE worried about their brands and customers being damaged by associating with the new Twitter under Musk.

And Musk IS chasing advertising dollars despite his previous stated stance of winding down advertising in favor of a subscription model.

Elon Musk's 'Racist Rhetoric' Weighed by Advertisers Before Meeting Twitter CEO

The billionaire plans to lure advertisers back during a speaking engagement at MMA Global’s Possible marketing conference in Miami on April 18. However, a private email thread, obtained by Semafor, reveals that many major advertisers remain skeptical of the Chief Twit.

For many communities, his willingness to leverage success and personal financial resources to further an agenda under the guise of freedom of speech is perpetuating racism resulting [in] direct threats to their communities and a potential for brand safety compromise we should all be concerned about,” wrote Tariq Hassan, McDonald’s chief marketing and customer experience officer.

Colgate-Palmolive’s vice president and general manager of consumer experience and growth, Diana Haussling, wrote, “While I am a huge supporter of free speech and enterprise we can not ignore the impact of such hate speech. I especially can’t ignore it as a black woman.”

Kristi Argyilan, the senior vice president of retail media at the grocery giant Albertsons, pointed out the risks and responsibility of “giving Elon Musk a stage,” adding, “we have signed up to broker an important discussion that must be managed with the utmost of care and respect for those most harmed by his actions and inactions.”

Although it wasn’t clear what incidents the executives were referring to, in February, the Twitter CEO defended the cartoonist behind the syndicated comic Dilbert following racist remarks made by the strip’s cartoonist Scott Adams.

Since taking control of the platform in October, Musk has also welcomed back several previously banned bigots including neo-Nazi Andrew Anglin, Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene (who was suspended last year for repeatedly violating the site’s Covid-19 misinformation policy at the time), and white supremacist Nick Fuentes.
There’s nothing he is likely to say that will change these opinions. He may be able to dial it back and say some things that are so generalized they don’t make it worse. But he is not about to announce that he’s booting or tamping down the nazis, vaccine and climate deniers and LGBTQ haters...especially that last, which he seems to have deep personal feeling about.
And he may not be able to resist “schooling” them on their misguided thinking and his increasingly bizarre notion of “free speech."

Elon doesn’t have to listen to anyone and apparently feels like he has so much money he, Twitter and Tesla doesn’t have to appeal to even half the population. McDonalds and Colgate don’t have that luxury. They’re in a dogfight every day in some of the toughest competitive markets on the planet.

Reactions: GreenDriver
He can absolutely straighten it out, keep it on its feet etc. He has the intellectual capacity, but perhaps not the wisdom. The moves he's making the “own the libs” crowds are cheering aren’t helping not matter how excited they get and how much they want to believe. It’s just not good business to “own” large groups of people.
The business model he’s trying to develop seemingly on the fly COULD outweigh the downsides and make it profitable regardless of writing off large segments of the potential market.
We’re still months or years away from knowing that, though.

There are models for this. There is also Myspace.
There are many companies (and politicians) that have proven they can bring in large amounts of $$ by focusing on a portion of the population. Some portions of the population may prove to be even more "generous" that others if they "truly believe" the cause they are contributing to.

There are many companies (and politicians) that have proven they can bring in large amounts of $$ by focusing on a portion of the population. Some portions of the population may prove to be even more "generous" that others if they "truly believe" the cause they are contributing to.
All true, but is it enough money to keep even the stripped-down version of Twitter afloat?
Dunno.
But it’s also true if it becomes so extreme Twitter turns into a social media equivalent of say, Fox News, the effects on TSLA would likely be pretty hefty.
Losing billions to make millions ...

Cue an acolyte to weigh in about his vision to make Twitter the foundation of a global financial empire.... the Twitter equivalent of Robotaxis.

Reactions: DrGriz
Well, I voted to remove Elon. Ten years of being all in on The Mission, and it has come to this...

I'm sure this will be incomprehensible to people who don't understand nuance and can do nothing but throw childish taunts at everyone who is troubled by his behaviour. "Haters"! "TslaQ"! This is not about right or left as some might claim. It's about common decency.

I'm sure my vote will do nothing, but it is important to register some protest. I wonder what percent needs to vote against him for it to be noticed.

I'd be happy to see him get the message... and perhaps then come to his senses. I don't think it is likely this will happen, but I hold out some smidgen of hope.

Last edited:

Last I read, the revenue he is getting is in the tens of millions for the subscriptions, which does practically nothing for the company financially. Basically people don't want to pay for Twitter, but they will certainly stay if it's free. That doesn't help bring in the money though, so Twitter still has to do things to get advertisers back (that's why for example they had to exempt their major advertisers from their new checkmark policy, even though initially they said it would apply to everyone equally).

When Legacy media hides a behind a Paywall and asks for money, sometimes as much as $30 a month, to read their biased content - “brilliant business decision. You pay for what you get”.

When Musk says pay $8 for posting (content creators only not for consumption) - “FRAUD”.
No one said media paywalls are brilliant either, in fact plenty of people here hate them and work around them, plus they are also struggling to gain enough revenue (which is why the fight with Google News to get money). But traditional media is a bit different, given they come from the newspaper and magazine days where people that are subscribed are used to paying money for curated and editorialized content.

Twitter however is largely user generated content from a generation that is used to getting free ad supported content. Trying to convince this crowd to pay is much harder (esp. $8 per month, when people are trying to avoid paying Netflix for similar amounts for much higher quality content).

that is used to getting free ad supported content
It is still FREE to get and read those same content that was free before. There are no charges to read news, opinions, debates and discussions

There are no charges to create and disseminate content either.

But if a content creator has a large follower base, then with a paid subscription they will have a better experience in getting their content disseminated to their follower base (hundreds of thousands or millions in many cases) and it also makes it easier to have a tighter control on stopping impersonation.

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
Status
Not open for further replies.