Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon & Twitter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
No such thing as bad press, right! 🥺

"...They're claiming - without evidence - that the material is somehow part of a "psychological operation" or that the social media account is "fake".
It may seem fringe, but the doubts have spread to millions via Elon Musk and others with popular Twitter accounts."

I don't even know if Elon has spread this one, but he seems to be solidifying his image in the collective conscience as someone who would.

Well it looks like Twitter is trying to get into a space that's very crowded and is a smaller market than the one they formerly occupied. Does Elon really think there's enough people in the market currently occupied by Parler, Gab, etc. for a company like Twitter? Parler and Gab cater to a niche market. They're both very small compared to Twitter and for a good reason. And now with Twitter fighting over that same group of people and abandoned en masse by people who are turned off by that type of content, I don't see how they can ever be profitable.

I had a little more time to think about this...

I already stated this in my thread (that Elon doesn't do any fact checking before posting), but what I come to realize is that he's becoming the very thing he hated, that is he's doing the same the click-baity gotcha misleading stuff that TSLAQ and what he sees as the MSM did to Tesla. I almost feel like he is becoming the very thing he hated, and it's sad to see him show this side of him.

We cannot measure the impact directly (yet) on Tesla, but I honestly feel that it will not be zero (or un measurable) forever. I am not willing to put odds on Twitter imploding just yet, but it certainly has gone up more recently, and if it does, it will have a material impact on Tesla.

I do not think Tesla would be directly affected by Elon's actions (for now), but it will rather be the indirect impact from Twitter that will hurt the company more.

So let's say this deal goes through and Tucker goes on Twitter keeps doing what he was doing at Fox. Would Twitter, and Elon Musk, be liable for defamation? Because Elon has even deeper pockets than Rupert Murdoch...

Nope.

Section 230 protects "platforms" specifically against the content of the creators on that platform.

• Disagree
Reactions: B@ndit
Nope.

Section 230 protects "platforms" specifically against the content of the creators on that platform.

I'm wondering what happens when, for example, YouTube live streams content from a TV channel. Or would Tucker just be liable personally for defamation? The difference between platform and publisher gets blurred if a platform is used to publish content.

I'm wondering what happens when, for example, YouTube live streams content from a TV channel. Or would Tucker just be liable personally for defamation? The difference between platform and publisher gets blurred if a platform is used to publish content.

YT livestream from a TV channel is copyright infringement, it happens, and as soon as it is reported, YT takes it down.

Yes, Tucker would be personally liable for defamation, but in the courts that has been a tall order. It conflicts with the 1st Amendment (that's the argument) and has to be proven in a pretty narrow case.

YT livestream from a TV channel is copyright infringement, it happens, and as soon as it is reported, YT takes it down.
YT has actually streamed live sporting events I believe. I'm not sure if it was a mirror of a TV channel or if it was its own stream, but they did so under license from the league. If something had been said in that broadcast that was defamatory, would YT be liable for it? Or maybe this hasn't actually been tested in the courts but I suspect that the answer may lie in the fact that YT paid the league for the broadcast rights as opposed to it being posted by a random user who, despite being paid for the content (based on minutes watched, etc.), was not paid directly to create the content itself. So if Tucker or anyone else posts content as an employee of Twitter, does Section 230 apply? Because Section 230 protects platforms from content posted by "third parties", but the moment one becomes an employee, one is no longer a "third party".

Last edited:
YT has actually streamed live sporting events I believe. I'm not sure if it was a mirror of a TV channel or if it was its own stream, but they did so under license from the league. If something had been said in that broadcast that was defamatory, would YT be liable for it? Or maybe this hasn't actually been tested in the courts but I suspect that the answer may lie in the fact that YT paid the league for the broadcast rights as opposed to it being posted by a random user who, despite being paid for the content (based on minutes watched, etc.), was not paid directly to create the content itself.

If they have a license, no problem, they can rebroadcast it.

And no, they are not liable for the content. Just like whenever there was a "wardrobe malfuction" a few years ago at the superbowl halftime show, the network was not responsible for that content (although they are required to cut away as quickly as reasonably possible because it violated some laws, and they can't re-air that portion).

• Disagree
Reactions: B@ndit
Status
Not open for further replies.