Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon & Twitter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the type of crazy headlines Elon is dealing with. Just insane...

You think that just maybe Elon's actions in the last year may have provided a reason for that comparison? I mean I could give plenty of examples though they would likely get deleted. I keep saying never give your enemies ammunition but Elon has no understanding of that concept. Not exactly 3d chess being played by him.

This has nothing to do with twitter or Elon, Tesla's place in this poll dropped by 39 places and its score reduced by 6.2 points (larger than this year's change of 5.2 points) in 2019: https://www.axios.com/2019/03/06/axios-harris-poll-corporate-reputations

Did Elon Musk buy twitter in 2019? No. Did he have any "Twitter shenanigans" in 2019? Also no.
Here's what the surveying company itself attributed to the drop back then:
Why it matters: The drop in Tesla's ranking from number 3 to number 42 in the annual survey — the second-biggest decline after Facebook — shows the risks for companies with identities so closely aligned with one person.

"This is sort of a cautionary tale for when your CEO is a celebrity."
— Harris Poll CEO John Gerzema
The big picture: Musk's wild 2018 included . . .

-Baseless allegations of pedophilia against a man who helped rescue the Thai boys' soccer team.
-His "funding secured" tweet about the now-aborted plan to take Tesla private, which drew a complaint from securities regulators that Musk settled.
-Taking a drag from a cigarette with marijuana on "The Joe Rogan Experience."
I have seen posts here that people were deeply disappointed with his pedo comments, with it significantly changing their image of Elon, and that seemed to the approximate starting point of the downfall of his reputation, so that take made sense.

And for this year:
What we're watching: Elon Musk’s chaotic takeover of Twitter not only pushed the social media company's own ranking down but shook investors' faith in Tesla by making the public more aware of Musk's manic leadership style.

• Twitter ranked 97th among the 100 brands survey respondents identified as most visible in the country today. Its Reputational Quotient, or RQ®, score — a measure across seven dimensions touching on character, trust and trajectory — was 59.3 out of a possible 100.
  • Tesla saw one of the biggest reputation drops of the past year, from 11th in 2022 to 62nd place this year, with a 74.3 RQ (79.5 in 2022).
So basically both Twitter and Tesla took a hit this year, which obviously you can plug your ears/cover your eyes and say it's all a coincidence, but I don't think objectively it makes sense to claim there was no negative affect.

I'm not the one making the claim, it was the surveyor itself!

Interesting. I wonder how many people knew about the whole pedo guy fiasco. I sort of assumed it's only people who really follow this stuff. Maybe it's more well known than I thought.
If you followed Tesla you pretty much knew about it and I think it's largely more of a negative for the people that were existing fans of Tesla, but like you, I'm not sure how well known it was to the general public.

The "funding secured" seemed to be more well known to the general public (even my parents knew about that as it made the local news as a big deal), but my impression was Tesla fans were on the flip side less phased by that.

And on similar regard, Elon's specific posting shenanigans I presume would be less well known by the general public, but the Twitter purchase and subsequent changes to the platform appeared much more reported by general news media.

If you followed Tesla you pretty much knew about it and I think it's largely more of a negative for the people that were existing fans of Tesla, but like you, I'm not sure how well known it was to the general public.

The "funding secured" seemed to be more well known to the general public (even my parents knew about that as it made the local news as a big deal), but my impression was Tesla fans were on the flip side less phased by that.

And on similar regard, Elon's specific posting shenanigans I presume would be less well known by the general public, but the Twitter purchase and subsequent changes to the platform appeared much more reported by general news media.
People I know were the opposite. Most dont follow markets closely, but they heard about the Pedo comments.

Reactions: JRP3
Interesting. I wonder how many people knew about the whole pedo guy fiasco. I sort of assumed it's only people who really follow this stuff. Maybe it's more well known than I thought.
I remember it being fairly well know . The kids stuck in that cave were all over the news and Elon was talking about building submarines and whatnot.

I certainly didn’t know much about Elon back then other than being the spacex and Tesla guy.

Reactions: JRP3
Consumer Reports gave poor rating to Model 3 and so did JD Power. And then Model 3 followed by Model Y sales soared.
Huh?

Consumer Reports removed the Model 3 from their top pick for awhile, and later on they restored it.

Overall Consumer Reports has been really happy with the Model 3.

In fact its the only Tesla that has earned their Consumer Reports recommendation.

Both. The product clearly has gotten worse recently as well (USS removal, etc).
Was the USS really all that useful?

I think its less that the product has gotten worse, but the competition has gotten better.

Why bother with USS when there is 360 degree down facing view that Tesla doesn't have yet.

Then there is rear cross traffic alert which is also much better than USS, but Tesla doesn't offer that either.

I hope Tesla adds these features to the Model 3 revision to stay competitive at the vehicle level, and to stop relying so much on the Supercharger network along with price advantages.

Was the USS really all that useful?

I think its less that the product has gotten worse, but the competition has gotten better.

Why bother with USS when there is 360 degree down facing view that Tesla doesn't have yet.

Then there is rear cross traffic alert which is also much better than USS, but Tesla doesn't offer that either.

I hope Tesla adds these features to the Model 3 revision to stay competitive at the vehicle level, and to stop relying so much on the Supercharger network along with price advantages.

FYI - Tesla could turn on 360 view tomorrow (the code is essentially already there in how the car processes images). They don't, because the patent is owned by Nissan and they would have to pay royalties on every single car they enabled it for. They won't do that. But (like when the LFP patent expired), don't be surprised to see that quickly turned on.

Status
Not open for further replies.