Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Email from Tesla describing Version 9.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It seems to me that they are removing the ability to customize the UI little by little. I used to hope for more customization.

For example: being able to select Tesla's weird app placement or the traditional default to top; classic or AP instrument cluster (or even fully customizable); the ability to place things like date, time, day of week (which completely disappeared several versions ago) anywhere we like; select the old climate control that always showed what the system was doing without using too much screen... It seems to me with the Tesla interface all this should not be too difficult. These settings could easily be saved with a driver profile.

Their software department seems so backwards with regard to the interface. It could be so much more.

Was working in the garage and fired up the car radio with the door open - not sure why but it seemed to turn itself off after about 30 minute on a few occasions.
This behavior is normal. The car shuts off after 30 minutes with a door open. You'd have to turn the car on to keep the radio (and other systems) on; you can press the brake while standing outside the car to accomplish this. IIRC, it will stay on after you close the door too.

• Helpful
Reactions: SportsmanFlyer
A few questions about v9 on MS:
1) When you bring up an app as an overlay(half screen) does the map readjust to center the current position of your car around the remaining part of the map’s screen? If not, the map would become practically unusable when another app is overlaying it. It would also imply that the overlaying app is meant to be only “temporarily”.
2) what is the point of the overlaying app not occupying the entire lower half of the screen? Isn’t that a total waste of precious screen real estate? I notice it wastes a bit of the screen to the left where you can see the map under that app. Why not have the app occupy the entire half screen?
3) having the map permanently occupy the bottom layer of the two app really sucks. How difficult do you think will it be software-wise to provide an option to users to quickly swap out the map for some other app?

Last edited:
Reactions: bredi
1) When you bring up an app as an overlay(half screen) does the map readjust to center the current position of your car around the remaining part of the map’s screen? If not, the map would become practically unusable when another app is overlaying it. It would also imply that the overlaying app is meant to be only “temporarily”.

Answer: Yes, it adjusts.

2) what is the point of the overlaying app not occupying the entire lower half of the screen? Isn’t that a total waste of precious screen real estate? I notice it wastes a bit of the screen to the left where you can see the map under that app. Why not have the app occupy the entire half screen?

Answer: Your guess is as good as anyone's.

3) having the map permanently occupy the bottom layer of the two app really sucks. How difficult do you think will it be software-wise to provide an option to users to quickly swap out the map for some other app?

Answer: Obviously it was easy to implement in software to provide the option to users to quickly swap out the map. It was called Version 8.1, the previous version.

As the original poster (OP)..........

So after a bunch of brain functions I opted to do the update. Notice I don’t call it an upgrade at this point. So why the change of heart?

1 - Your mileage may vary but the way I personally use the screen 95% of the time I use Nav on top and the browser on the bottom. This does not change in V9. I do respect that others seriously have a problem in not having THEIR choice available for viewing at the top of the screen.

2 - I saw enough reviews showing objective improvements.

3 - We are leaving on a trip to Florida soon and if an update is accepted I at least wanted some quality time checking it out.

Results: Some good and some eh’s. Lane changes are vastly improved. There is no longer a delay in execution. AP1 seems silky smooth. The browser is noticeably more reliable when using TeslaWaze. It doesn’t appear to stall now. Coming to a stop when a car in front of you is at a light starts sooner. My wife will like that one a lot.

The not so good are the media player always pops up even if you haven’t requested it to. And even if you close the player it will open unexpectedly at frequent times. Aggravating.

The control panel is now a minimalist design with everything consolidated in one set of choices. No longer do you have to pick between controls or settings.

So those are my take aways from spending a good 5 hours with it yesterday.

Do I now recommend you update. Well yes but begrudgingly. There are true improvements but the points I made originally are still accurate too. Can you stand killing the update window each time you return to your car? Tesla makes it difficult to ignore.

I'm afraid you overestimate the amount of people using the camera while driving, and of those people preferring the camera above the navigation.

I'm pretty sure Tesla has statistics of the most popular layouts, since they built the car and can always monitor them. It would be foolish in this day and age not to gather statistics on how people use your product.

A good UI gives options and control to the user. REMOVING a feature is different than how often something is used.

Camera is NOT an "App". It is a safety feature while driving.

This evening (Oct 5, 2018) I received an email from Tesla describing V9 software. I am the owner of a 2016 Model S.

Here is a link provided in that email which describes the update:

Discover Software Version 9.0

After reviewing the information provided by Tesla, here are my early concerns:

How is it better for Tesla to choose for me which apps appear on the screen? What if I want the rear view camera and a trip charge status be on the screen at the same time? With V9 that option is taken away. Just deciding what is above or below in the main window is a great user interface in V8.1. If the goal is to make the more expensive Models look more like a less expensive Model 3 kinda leaves a bitter taste in my mouth. I do not see the advantages of replacing single/dual screens showing any combination of two apps with a single navigation screen with a single pop-up window of an app of your choice.

What am I missing?
You're not missing anything but your autonomy. Let Tesla know -- they're considering a rollback to 8 for those who request it if enough owners express dissatisfaction with 9.

all good points. I don't understand the new UI designers. Tesla, Apple, Google etc. They forget "U" stands for "User/Usability", not their graphic design portfolio.

I'm afraid you overestimate the amount of people using the camera while driving, and of those people preferring the camera above the navigation.

I'm pretty sure Tesla has statistics of the most popular layouts, since they built the car and can always monitor them. It would be foolish in this day and age not to gather statistics on how people use your product.
Well, SOMEONE is overestimating the amount of people who need help navigating everywhere they go. And SOMEONE is overestimating the lack of foolishness that can occur even when smart people are on the job. This is a bad update.. Period.

Reactions: Knightowl
This evening (Oct 5, 2018) I received an email from Tesla describing V9 software. I am the owner of a 2016 Model S.

Here is a link provided in that email which describes the update:

Discover Software Version 9.0

After reviewing the information provided by Tesla, here are my early concerns:

How is it better for Tesla to choose for me which apps appear on the screen? What if I want the rear view camera and a trip charge status be on the screen at the same time? With V9 that option is taken away. Just deciding what is above or below in the main window is a great user interface in V8.1. If the goal is to make the more expensive Models look more like a less expensive Model 3 kinda leaves a bitter taste in my mouth. I do not see the advantages of replacing single/dual screens showing any combination of two apps with a single navigation screen with a single pop-up window of an app of your choice.

What am I missing?
I agree. They have severely limited our ability to choose what appears on the screen. I rarely use Map and now I'm stuck with it all the time.
How is this better??

To all that love the V9 layout and the new limitations it brings, you should STILL complain.

The Model S/X vertical screen (V8) is (was) like two monitors for your computer at home or work. You could open the functional displays as camera, energy, audio, map, etc. and choose where to locate top or bottom or full screen. Now (V9) there is only one universal shared "window" at the very bottom of the screen. How would you feel if the 2nd monitor on you computer was now forced to always display Nicklodeon? Those who say, "I don't see a problem with it" I always keep Nicklodeon on the 2nd display, and now it's even bigger.

Really - you don't care about this reduction of function? If you don't you are sheep.

TESLA: The fix should not be that difficult. Restore the 2nd active screen windows, with zoom (full screen) and swap like I purchased with my model S. I don't dislike the combination menu, although more motion (clicks) are required to activate anything. I can even live with the map permanently as the background, so long as I get my 2 windows back. Oh, how about a choice of upper or lower menus, or is that asking too much?

I am very concerned. TESLA should be adding functionality not removing it. Going the wrong direction.