Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I'm Confused by Version Control

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

SageBrush

REJECT Fascism
May 7, 2015
New Mexico
Hi Folks,

I've been swept up by the hype of FSD 12.3-ish and would like to see what the fuss is about.

I peeked into my Tesla phone app, and also went through screens in my car. I can tell that I am on v11.1 (2024.8.7)

2024.8.7 is very new, while if v11.1 is the FSD I am way behind current software.

Set me straight. I have not purchased FSD, so I'll only be able to try it out with the demo that Musk mentioned

Hi Folks,

I've been swept up by the hype of FSD 12.3-ish and would like to see what the fuss is about.

I peeked into my Tesla phone app, and also went through screens in my car. I can tell that I am on v11.1 (2024.8.7)

2024.8.7 is very new, while if v11.1 is the FSD I am way behind current software.

Set me straight. I have not purchased FSD, so I'll only be able to try it out with the demo that Musk mentioned
Be patient. They're just getting started. It will be coming to a Tesla near you soon.

Reactions: SageBrush
FSD 12.3.2 was included in 2024.3.5 just a couple of days ago. IMHO preparing V12 for wide release is a much harder task than merging it into the latest 2024.x version.

Part of the reason for the high price of FSD and the version hoops we had to jump through to get it was to restrict the pool of FSD testers in order to avoid the catastrophic PR associated with a careless tester causing a serious crash.

Once Tesla decides V12 is ready for everyone then everyone should be able to get it. OTOH, New Mexico may be one of the last places in the US they are ready to make FSD easily available to all.

One way or another it's all going to work out, probably within the next two months. Maybe sooner.

I still haven't tracked down my FSD version but I've learned that the 2024.3 branch is receiving the V12 FSD software. Very non-obvious to me at least that a branch with a more recent version UI software version number would not include the latest FSD

I still haven't tracked down my FSD version but I've learned that the 2024.3 branch is receiving the V12 FSD software. Very non-obvious to me at least that a branch with a more recent version UI software version number would not include the latest FSD
Actually, this is 'normal' for tesla. They have split the cars into two update branches. Group one bought FSD (and possibly has subscribed to FSDb) and Group two, while having FSD compatible hardware, does not have FSD/FSDb currently. Group two's FSDb level is set to the latest stable release of FSD (currently V11.4.9) and when they subscribe to FSD, that is the version they get.

For a few weeks around Christmas, both branches were together for the first time in a long time.

If you plan to subscribe to FSDb, it is a good idea not to update every time you are offered a chance because if you are starting from a spot where the two branches are merged, you can end up moving yourself into an update branch that has all the latest bells and whistles for games and navigation options with the app but not have access to the latest version of FSDb.

After Christmas there were all sorts of rumours that FSDbV12 was about to be released and people who jumped at the chance to update onto the 2024.X,X update stream now then found themselves without access to the latest version of FSDb. Those who are still back on the 2023.44.30.x branch of the updates still have a path to or already have FSDb V12.X.X. Those people are now moving up to the 2024.X.X firmware but their update path is behind the latest number released.

If you want to follow all of this, Teslafi offers the latest software being downloaded by their members (about 19K owners) and this page allows you to see all the different versions, how many people are being offered each version, where they are located in the world and what versions of software they updated from. It is a wonderful way to see some of the data from the subset of tesla owners who subscribe to Teslafi. For instance, as of this morning I know that only 33 other Teslafi owners have the same software version I have. (I'm a hold-out and only update when I know what I'm updating to has something I want and is stable.)

(Edited to fix the link.)

Edited to add: Following all this is a big time waster in my life but one of the ways owning a tesla is different than owning a 'normal' car. I would gently suggest you 'save yourself' and step away from the computer and head out to enjoy driving the car you have now. When offered a 'different' car through an OTA update, spend some time reading to see if it is better to wait or to update to get something new and cool.

Last edited:
They have split the cars into two update branches. Group one bought FSD (and possibly has subscribed to FSDb) and Group two, while having FSD compatible hardware, does not have FSD/FSDb currently.

Thank you -- I'm catching on a bit
It does not surprise me that those who have paid for FSD would be on the fast track of improvements. And perhaps the other thing in play is that Tesla does not want unintended consequences of their most recent UI updates to affect FSD. I view this through the lens of two different software programs. Any one car is on the production version of one program and a recent version of the other.

The confusing part is having to know which branch is which in the version number Tesla shows.

Reactions: navguy12 and BitJam
Thank you -- I'm catching on a bit
It does not surprise me that those who have paid for FSD would be on the fast track of improvements. And perhaps the other thing in play is that Tesla does not want unintended consequences of their most recent UI updates to affect FSD. I view this through the lens of two different software programs. Any one car is on the production version of one program and a recent version of the other.

The confusing part is having to know which branch is which in the version number Tesla shows.
There is exciting news that just broke. 2024.3.10 is now released and its Release Notes no longer list FSD (beta), instead referring to FSDS(Supervised) V12.3.3

FSD(Supervised) has now been released. Since there is no longer a beta version of FSD perhaps this will roll out quickly to FSD capable cars as well as those on the FSD development branch.

The great charlatan will have to live with the final product being called Full Self Driving Supervised, an awkward mouthful but it is also confusing which is good because full self driving was perfectly clear and never described in any way accurately the product that was being delivered, or apparently developed.

Reactions: navguy12